The Riddle Thread

Seems like there’s some interest, so lets do this. Going to dump a favorite, though I doubt it’ll last long.

You are trapped in a room with two doors. One of the doors leads out, the other to certain death. The doors are guarded by identical twin brothers. One of them always tells the truth, and one of them always lies. You do not know which is which. You may ask one question to one of the brothers. How do you determine which door leads out?

4 Likes

By asking either brother what the other brother would say was the right door.

3 Likes

I knew it’d be fast, but that was impressively so.

Dude, that riddle is classic. One of the original noggin scratchers.

2 Likes

Two minutes is nonetheless impressive. Regardless, seems interest may have faded fast, so I’ll drop another. I’m afraid I mostly know the classics though.

I am, in truth, a yellow fork
From tables in the sky
By inadvertent fingers dropped
The awful cutlery.
Of mansions never quite disclosed
And never quite concealed
The apparatus of the dark
To ignorance revealed.

3 Likes

Never heard that one. Lightning??

5 Likes

Dickinson, yeah.

5 Likes

Nice. I got one.

What have I got in my pocket?

• Bilbo Baggins
3 Likes

Is the riddle what does bilbo have in his pocket or was it what do I have in my pocket and bilbo was the answer? :slight_smile:

1 Like
6 Likes

Here’s one I heard from someone on discord, but in the form of a YouTube video. Insights welcome.

3 Likes

Lol. It was a Riddle by Bilbo Baggins. Meant to type ~Bilbo Baggins. @stocky

3 Likes

Ring Ring its for you!

2 Likes

I really wonder if there aren’t some kinds of cultural connections needed to resolve this riddle. I feel like the answer might be easier to find if I knew the origin of the riddle. As it is, it seems way to disassociated to make any sense out of. :thinking:

3 Likes

I agree, but apparently that info is unavailable. I looked through the comments, and the answer I thought likely (that the bear is the wife, a product of word play that could indicate wives are tough to best in an altercation and possibly quite vicious, which seems somewhat wilderness era American) wasn’t ever thoroughly debunked. So I’m still holding out hope that it is the answer.

4 Likes

I thought it was his wife aswell right away. For completely diferent reasons I just saw the cartoon and instantly thought can’t fool me thats a lady bear with a fake beard!

3 Likes

It does seem like an in-joke or is otherwise tied to something that we’ll never be able to know.

Kind of like Thomas Pynchon’s Gravity’s Rainbow got edited down to one line.

4 Likes

is the answer not just ring? as in the book? the part where he challenegs gollum to 3 riddles?

2 Likes

Yeah, I was trying to be funny. Tank

2 Likes

nah its me lol i am replying to about 12 things at once so missing subtleties and tone bud .

2 Likes