The writing is ruining the experience

I don’t think any of this matters. Gearbox and Anthony Burch retconned tons of stuff when they made BL2. So, anything they want to change moving forward, they can and probably will.

I don’t think its a secret that BL3’s story and character development fell flat. They can fix a lot of this in the DLC content though, putting together a more cohesive story. BL3 is still an amazing game, and IMO, Gearbox has done their best work so far with the weapons/items system and gunplay/battle. It’s a better shooter, by far and clear than all previous titles. My gripes are story, characters and atmosphere/level design. Nothing terrible though

4 Likes

Though the roadmap of DLC so far seems like all seperate from any events of the main story. With the next one only seeming to tie in with the inclusion of Jakobs. The Gunslinger one may be like Dragonkeep where they address some of the main story but I think it will be more inline with captain scarlets. The psyco (though they havent started so they said this one may change) one would be the most likely to address any story plots of the main story.

I feel the stuff that was retconned in 2 was sort of necessary. The Vault Key needed to be recharged somehow so that there was a goal to go after. So yeah, now sirens can charge Vault Keys with magic purple rocks.

The retcons in 3 really bug me a lot more, especially the entire character of Typhon Deleon. It undermines Tannis as the Eridian expert, directly contradicts several points of the series back story, and now it makes no sense that the previous games held the Vaults to be this mysterious mythical thing when there was a guy out there who worked with Atlas and Jakobs who had pretty much already figured out the whole story. He’s a big celebrity, Tannis loves him and everyone else all know who he is. It’s way more egregious than the retcons in 2.

8 Likes

Turd Farming A joke from Typhon that they just rolled with, and if you paid attention you figured out the big reveal before it happened.

I have an opinion and if you disagree you will DIE - most likely a reference to the current state of internet discussion.

Tiny Tina grew up around Brick and Mordecai. Not surprised.
Marcus, Claptrap, and Torgue are most definitely the same personalities as previous games.

I’m going to disagree on Claptrap. His dialogue and actions are not the same quality as in BL2. In BL2, he was ‘Claptrap, appearing as a joke’ except he wasn’t. (Have you listened to his speech when you go after Jack at the end? The one he gives in Sanctuary?).

Here, the writers focussed on the ‘annoying’ aspect almost exclusively (apart from one tiny moment in the finale of his set of side quests.). He’s a caricature of the BL2/TPS Claptrap, and not in a good way.

13 Likes

I’m going to agree but I’m going to compare it to BL1 instead. In BL1 Claptrap was a major part of the experience, he was just annoying enough to be funny and helped a lot to set the atmosphere. Seems like in BL3 his personality was replaced with a heavy dose of annoying.

3 Likes

I’m currently revisiting the first Borderlands. I found Claptrap to be quite likeable there, and genuinly want to help out the others. In 2 he got annoying at some points (and maybe it’s my burnout on the dialog speaking), but he certainely wasn’t egoistical until 3 rolled around the corner. And this is just one of many things I take issue with when it comes to 3s writing.

4 Likes

Same I loved the coffee quest and the one after about burgers.

I’d say Claptrap has his ups and his downs in the script writing. Some points were not bad, others eh, I could pass on. Same was true of 2 for me, some lines funny others eh… To be honest characters like Wainright and Vaughn were solid in this.

1 Like

While I agree with the writing being leagues below BL2 I didn’t find the humour to be that bad. It’s worse than in BL2, but it’s not consistently bad and for someone who still has this childish sense of humour as I have it, it’s quite enjoyable.

The story on the other hand… well, let’s say that my favorite addition to the game since launch (besides DLC 1) is the option to skip cutscenes. As otherwise I would for sure not plan to do any kind of TVHM playthrough with any of my characters. So much wasted potential, so many wasted characters, so many plot conveniences.

1 Like

Man, the bl1 claptraps that needed repairs also added to a really creepy atmosphere in some areas. (In a good way imo) I remember one section going through listening to psycho mumblings, buzz saws going off and on, and in the distance, “oh god I’m leaking” from a broken claptrap. Creeeeeepy lol.

8 Likes

Sad thing is three felt like they went the sjw route, I know people may hate hearing that but it focused so much on inclusion it actually ended up with more paper thin two dimensional characters, where as two broke your ideas of what a strong man could be like torgue from tiny Tina’s dlc. the presequal and two a tiny extent showed a strong driven very intelligent woman moxxie how she was a genius with mechanical things like scooter was, and also from two captain scarlet who was all women does the whole he was so cute when talking about rosco her pet then yells at her crew to get back to work and showed that while being very feminine she is also feared and respected by people torgues grandmother and her crew. borderlands 3 regressed moxxie and torgue and also made most females seem moronic, or now that they have they chance to shine they bugger it up, I mean lilith when fighting the two calipsos doesn’t teleport kinda stupid she forgets that one thing only she can do -.-

3 Likes

It seems like you’re saying something interesting and I’m trying to comprehend it but the utter lack of formatting is making it very tough. This is not a dig at you I’m genuinely interested in what you have to say but my brain is not following. At least periods at the end of sentences would help immensely.

4 Likes

might help no idea got suspended alot lol

1 Like

Moxxi seems the same as ever. Everyone is an Ex, every sentence is a chance for innuendo, and she even builds a technical macguffin for you.

Screwing things up is what Lilith does best. Like the time she tried to teleport the VHs into a base and only moved them a few feet. Or the time she made a town fly but somehow teleported only the VHs out of town in the process. Or when she showed up where she was explicitly told to stay away and stuck her neck into a collar to help Jack.

1 Like

And you would think on the lilith part that given thier political views they would have her learn from that tbh though I feel after borderlands 2 and the presequal they regressed moxxie quiet alot she actually hides her true hill Billy nature from people as we see in the presequal in three she just seems to be there something pretty to look at a two dimensional character I mean what happened to her growth over the last two games?

I wouldn’t think that at all. But I’m not so intent on projecting political views onto the situation that I’ve forgotten the chief trope of serial writing is to maintain a certain amount of status quo.

So she went from hiding her ‘true hillbilly nature’ to… still hiding it. Such regression! Also: a cheesy little throwaway scene that comically shows the apples didn’t fall so far from the tree isn’t much in the way of character growth. Moxxi’s dimensions are pretty much the same as always. Could be 2D, might be 3D, might even be into higher letters.

1 Like

Neither am I but the writers at gearbox seem to be and I feel it was poorly done in three compared to two and the presequal also there where more hints into moxxies character in two when you do certain missions and dlc quests not just in the presequal again three could have fleshed out moxxie more but chose not to bother the same way they regressed torgue in three now he’s just a screaming mountain of meat

Without her teleportation powers Roland couldn’t reach the eridium pumps, Jack would have killed Roland and the Vault Hunters, and Angel would still be alive as his tool. The mission would have failed much, much harder without her.

3 Likes

Putting aside the unnecessary plot contrivance, it still doesn’t excuse the stupidity of charging headlong into the collar. That’s almost as stupid as not wearing a shield. None of these people deserve milkshakes.