TheFunfighter's horrible abominations (aka: art) [current # : 12]

[DeletedDeletedDeleted]

13 Likes

Very nice. :dukeaffirmative:
It may just be me, but I can barely see the pencil sketches. :dukesad:

Ah yes. Had that too, but increasing the contrast while scanning would make all the erased parts visible again. Try tilting the upper part of the screen back a bit if you can’t see it.

Aha. I see them now. Very nice. :smiley:

Still a bit sad that I didn’t manage to get all 4 hands in.
I wanted to draw some wicked shadow-flame :confused:
Maybe I’ll try adding a red glow from her red eyes (her right eye and the ones on her hands).
I’ll do it in my next drawing then. Let’s see when i feel like it.

Great work! Passing these along to the team!

I feel honored ^^ Next stop will be a full body picture. I wanna make her cast dark magix. This one is rather boring imo, but i needed a closeup for my profile and had no space left.

1 Like

Nice

Nice :blush: !
I wish I could draw…

Not bad, but (Incoming criticism! Take cover!) you should make your lines a bit thicker and the shadows could be a bit deeper/stronger too. Also, you need to put a bit of light effect here and there too, would help making it less flat.

1 Like

There’s a difference between criticism and constructive criticism and your points fall solely into the later camp. :dukeaffirmative:

Good points all. Hopefully @TheFunfighter will take them under advisement.

Heh, yeah i try to make them constructives. I’m “Arting” myself a… bit, so i know the feeling.

This was my first time to use shadows and light, so it was bound to be a bit off. I originally wanted to keep the line visibility to a minimum, to make it more realistic after coloring. But it turned out that they were barely visible between dark colors, so i had to follow the lines with a bit thicker brush again. (Or are you talking about the pencil drawings? I keep them soft and thus changable)
About the shadows: do you mean darker or bigger when you say deeper? I thought about making them darker myself. The placement is indeed not the best. Could you guess that the light source was left of her?
My biggest insecurities were about light effects, so i just added them to reflecting surfaces (eyes and metal parts). I don’t really know how to do them on non reflecting materials.

Start off with copying. Pay attention to reality. What does that mean? Examples:
A metal bar behind some other object means, chances are the lines left and right align. Some people just draw and forget to think what makes sense.
Drawing a person is tough. You need basic knowledge about anatomy, and some advanced tricks with more complex bodyparts. Faces, feet and hands take the longest to learn for most people. About the latter 2: Focus on drawing bones, knuckles and tendons that are directly under the skin first.
Tbh: I still use a lot of reference when i draw. Just Google stuff. All you need is some basic perspective knowledge then. Just take a look and if it feels bad, fix it.
Search for 2-point perspective (1-/3- as well) and start with anorganic shapes. That gives you an idea of perspective.

1 Like

First, i’m not a professional at all, and everything i learnt was by myself, so keep that in mind when reading:

Yeah, lights are a bit tricky… And a lot more when you go to more advanced stuff, like reflecting lights (Depending on what the light bounce the light colours will be different… Oh yeah, brain melting, love it), and… crazy sh*t like that.

So, basically, what i do, is that i put a bit of white where the light is supposed to be the strongest and also the most interesting… I don’t know if that make sense… No it doesn’t, fack.
So going to take one of my own work as an example (Totally not Benedict, i swear).

The beak is where to look at, i did put a bit more light on the top right of it because that’s where the light came from, and since the beak is a bit angular it was were it looked best (Realistically, it would have been better a bit more on top, and stuff… But it looked bad so… i cheated!)

Also, one last note: Lights effects depend on the material it “land” (Metal reflect a lot more than clothes) but shadows depend on how much lights can “interfere” with it (The more you close a box, the less light there is inside)

I don’t know if you are really used to layers or digital art in general, but if you aren’t you can always make two saves so you can keep one (With the lineart and colours done) and try some shadows, and lights on the other, and see how it goes.

Hell, that was a longer post than expected. Hope i was clear enough, hah.

Edit: Also, in the end, what count is also what style you want to end up with. be it Flat, Realistic, or whatnot. And everyone’s style is different, so you’ll pretty much experiment things by yourself, be it shadows, lights, or lineart.

1 Like

Ah that helped a lot. Especially about shadow and light.
About my way of drawing: First i do a freehand sketch with pencil, because that’s my best way of doing it. Then scanning or photographing it to digitalize it. After that redrawing and correcting the lines with the line/curve tool. From there i fill in colors and then mark shadowed areas and fill them in.
I use paint.net, basically a slightly better paint. I will see what i can do about adding transparent white. Still haven’t figured the layers thing there.
Might try changing up shadows and add more lighting when i get home. Also imma read or watch a tutorial on the layers option. Couldn’t figure it out on my own when i tried it, so i just saved and copied after each version (pencil/lines/color/shadows) and played with the copies.

[quote=“TheFunfighter, post:16, topic:529444, full:true”]Ah that helped a lot. Especially about shadow and light.
About my way of drawing: First i do a freehand sketch with pencil, because that’s my best way of doing it. Then scanning or photographing it to digitalize it. After that redrawing and correcting the lines with the line/curve tool. From there i fill in colors and then mark shadowed areas and fill them in.[/quote]
I guess you mean the Pen tool, so that’s pretty much how i do it too: Sketch, scan, then Pen tool for 85% of the time.
Also, don’t know if you mean the “Fill path” from the Pen tool (With right click) when you talk about shadows.

Ah, can’t help you much with that one, i only use (Or used) Photoshop and Illustrator. I guess Paint is pretty similar… But don’t know, probably quite a bit of missing features or different ones.

[quote=“TheFunfighter, post:16, topic:529444, full:true”]Might try changing up shadows and add more lighting when i get home. Also imma read or watch a tutorial on the layers option. Couldn’t figure it out on my own when i tried it, so i just saved and copied after each version (pencil/lines/color/shadows) and played with the copies.
[/quote]
Layers are really useful once you know how to use them.
My (Full) Benedict pic got around 140 Layers, in a dozen of groups and sub-groups. And i don’t think i’d be able to work without them. Not with that style anyway.

Also, just don’t go too fast and try to learn everything at the same time. You’d just burn out.
It’s a bit cliché but: Walking before running.

XD nono!
I mean the Line/Curve tool. You draw a straight line between 2 points and then you can adjust it to a curve with 2 hooks in the middle of the line. Using a normal pen tool on pc would result in wobbly lines for me, so i rather make it smooth with the help of the curves.

How i do shadows: 1. Fill selected area with light color. 2. Select light color and make it darker. 3. Draw the outlines of the shadows with the darker color. 4. Fill in the marked area with the dark color. 5. Tada! Shadows without using black outlines!

Holy hell with the layers. I tried it yesterday and it worked like i thought, but I figured i won’t use it unless i want to be able to change up everything i did so far.

In the end my attempt failed with the fact, that the program has no brush that gets more and more transparent from the center, which i wanted to use for lighting :confused:

[quote=“TheFunfighter, post:18, topic:529444, full:true”]
XD nono!
I mean the Line/Curve tool. You draw a straight line between 2 points and then you can adjust it to a curve with 2 hooks in the middle of the line. Using a normal pen tool on pc would result in wobbly lines for me, so i rather make it smooth with the help of the curves.[/quote]
Yep, that’s the Pen tool, heh. Maybe it does have another name in Paint though.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/dSdov7nVYdo/hqdefault.jpg

Hm… If you can’t make your own brushes on Paint (Which would be weird), maybe there is a Blur filter or anything like that (Blur tool). So you could fill an area, then use a strong blur filter (Or tool) to make the edge smoother.

First column:
Rectangular select
Freehand select
Ellipse select
Shape select
Fill
Brush
Pencil
Clone
Text

Second column:
Move selection
Adjust selection
Zoom
Move anything
Color shift
Erase
Select Color
Recolor
Line/Curve

Bottom:
Shapes

The interesting thing is the Color Shift tool. It has the following settings:
The pictures show what they do. Problem is:
I’d have to make a ton of small rectangles that I then had to move around, in order to follow a single curve :confused:
At the right you can select between Color or Transparency Shift, and the type of repitition (It currently says “No Repitition” in German).

Haven’t found an option to customize brushes yet.