There are lots of (justified) complaints about his terrible Ultimate.
It’s not just his Ult that’s lacking.
That’s just one of the problems.
Right now, basically everything is lacking. He’s a really cool (thematically) hero with an absolutely terrible kit and the worst Ultimate in the game. Honestly, he’s probably the worst character in the game, period.
- His character model is so wide that both of his weapons have an incredible number of terrain collision issues with what “seem” like clear shots. Anywhere that isn’t wide open (to give yourself some cover) is likely to be a myriad of issues because of the hitboxes of your projectiles and the terrain.
- His shield is destroyed far too quickly by long-ranged enemies, making him very vulnerable to counter-sniper fire.
- He can’t escape worth a squat without taking his level 4 helix “Sorry, I Broke Your Wrists” (stun mine). Even then, you often have to turn tail and flee because the distance traveled with his boosters back-strafing combined with his enormous hitbox means terrain collision for days.
- His “headshot” is directly center of mass, making it extremely easy for enemies to murder him.
They had a great idea and from a lore perspective he’s a hilarious character. But he’s just so badly designed and implemented. I’ve been playing him as exclusively as possible during double-XP weekend, and it basically boils down to the reality that he has great games against bad players, but he’s a sitting duck to anyone decent.
He has losing matchups against nearly every other Battleborn in a 1v1, which is okay, except for the fact that he doesn’t have enough territory control ability or sturdiness to stand off at range and gain an advantage.
More than any other hero, he needs a complete overhaul.
Off the top of my head:
- The firing points of both his main Railgun and his Arc Mine need to be brought in closer to his center of mass so that they have less collision issues when you think you have a clear shot.
- His shield could have a mechanic that reduces damage taken by it based on the range of the enemy (counter-sniping protection).
- His booster charges need to recharge faster, or there needs to be a way to refill them on an occasional basis.
- His helix tree should be re-examined at a holistic level. Many of the abilities are neat in theory but nearly useless in reality (his shield buffs for allies since the shield is destroyed so quickly and with Toby’s massive hitbox it’s hard to share the space). Overall he’s neither an early-game hero nor a carry and sort of starts mediocre and grows mediocre. He needs either more oomph in the early game or more oomph in the late game.
- Obviously his Ultimate needs to be reworked. It’s utterly horrible.
It’s fine that Toby isn’t a duelist, but for a territory control character, he’s very bad at holding territory and loses match-ups against most other Battleborn if he’s not able to be more of an ambusher than a defender. You can rack up a lot of kills being an opportunistic sneak, but Thorn, Marquis, all of the melee assassins, Caldarius, etc. do the same role better. He simply can’t hold ground against competent enemies, and it seems as though there are very few Battleborn who are or should be worried about attacking him head-on. This, I think, is mainly because he’s a sitting duck in the open, left with very few places where he can’t easily be attacked from behind due to map design, and his shield melts too fast for him to put out a dangerous amount of damage to anyone pressing from the front.
There’s a lot to fix, honestly, to make Toby anything like viable as anything but a noob-smasher.