Throwback Challenge

Borderlands 2 has been out for a while now, and it’s been awesome to see so many people are still playing it! The Unofficial Community Patch has given an almost brand new sheen to this game and new life to the forums. Special thanks to Shadowevil and everyone else that has worked so hard to make these patches work! But to my fellow Vault Hunters I propose a challenge… the Throwback Challenge. It’s simple play BL2 the way it was made when it 1st came out (some patch exceptions forgiven)

The Challenge
Play UVHM (No OP levels…Yet)
Build your character without spending your last 22 points
If you use Legendary Class Mods, 1st Generation Only (Legendary Siren/ Berserker/Soldier ect)
No Pearlescent gear (Sawbar/Bekah/Godfinger/ect)
No e-tech relics (bone of the ancients/blood/skin)
No Tiny Tina DLC gear (Blockade/Grog Nozzle/Antagonist/Chain Lightning)
DLC characters are Welcome! (Krieg/ Gaige)

I purpose this challenge to all Vault Hunters! Especially content creators and community badasses. If you want please post your play through of the challenge and give the community your feedback. Good Luck!
#throwbackchallenge
#nomoreivorytowers

6 Likes

So is Krieg allowed? :smiley:

2 Likes

I guess I’ll avoid Maya for this and just do Zer0 or Axton

1 Like

Oh sorry, I forgot to specify that. Krieg is always welcome!! Lol. I’ll make sure to edit that into the original topic post.

2 Likes

Wooo! I already run him with 14 points left so I’ll lose bloodsplosion but I can work with that! :smiley:

1 Like

That’s the point! Lol. What I hope with the challenge is that it will help people create better builds. Either way Good Luck to you!

1 Like

You don’t have to avoid Maya. Lol. Give it a try with her and really test your metal! That’s the point of the challenge

1 Like

I just feel it would be more off with her not really difficult (unless we’re raiding)

1 Like

By the time the game was released, there weren’t any dlc’s released. Obviously… So, are we allowed to use gear from all dlc’s except TTAoDK?

1 Like

Is this in TVHM? I think so, since enemies scale in UVHM and if you do not spend 22 points vs 72+ enemies it might be very very challenging.

I’m not sure what the OP is suggesting, start a new Char, level them to 50 then do this challenge, or just do this challenge at L72? I wouldn’t be interested in levelling a character to 50 just for a challenge, though I do have some toons in the mid fifties maybe…It would really only start to hit in the late fifties or 60’s where you want those extra skill points and that’s a tough part of the game anyway, without the skill points for endgame builds but playing endgame content basically. Solo Maya would be my thought as you wouldn’t have Wreck maxed out but you can still go 3/5 and get both Converge and Ruin which is still strong enough to carry you through the game assuming you were consistently getting decent on level weapons…

Krieg wouldn’t be very exciting with no Bloodsplosion at 57 but you’d still have a strong build with RtB and the top of the Bloodlust tree. You’d have trouble with the usual Krieg trouble spots like Bunker or Bloodwing, but otherwise you’d be able to get through story alright, RtB does a ton of damage even without StV playing solo at those levels… You couldn’t grog Harold with Sal, but you could Rubi Harold, dunno if that keeps you alive as easily… Axton and Gaige would be tough I imagine… Melee Zero wouldn’t be much fun without Kunai and MMF, but you could possibly do a good enough gun build with Kunai and the top of the Sniper Tree…dunno how that would hold up through the 60’s levels… even melee Zero you still have Execute and Kunai so you could kill targets but no cool MMF chaining…

1 Like

@Ronnie_Rayburn I set the challenge up in this manner, because the Tiny Tina DLC came out after UVHM was released. I’m pretty sure all the other “primary” mission DLCs (Torgue/Big Game/Skarlett) came out before UVHM so I just used Tiny Tina as a retro reference point.

@ChemicalConundrum I’m not suggesting you restart the entire game and relevel all your characters. Lol. That would really suck and take forever. It’s more of an end game challenge for those at end game otherwise if someone starting off fresh the rule applies on their road to level 72. If you’re already at level 72 play at that level. As far as not using those extra 22 skill points, it can be difficult, but that’s the point of the challenge. Even though you don’t have all the skills you’re accustomed to, whatever gear you use should still be 72.

@nat_zero_six This is definitely in UVHM. I’m aware that enemies scale to 72 in UVHM and not using those last 22 is difficult, but that’s part of the challenge. Although the enemies are at level 72 all of your gear should be at that level as well.

1 Like

I respect this challenge. Should be a fun way to test yourself. I’m in

2 Likes

I’ve made a final edit. I promise this is the last correction. No e-tech relics. I forgot to mention them above so I edited the original post. I overlooked the fact they were added with the 1st wave of pearls

1 Like

I’ve only just seen this, I hope it’s ok to still respond to this given the age of the thread. I’d consider doing this, i’m on console(s) so the patches that are official are all I have, but I could definitely do this, I think!

1 Like

Sorry for the extremely late response. But if you didn’t try the challenge you should definitely go for it! It will make a you a more balanced player one and really appreciate just how fantastically expansive this game truly is two. If you did try the challenge, how did you like? I’d love to hear your feedback or input. Thanks.