I originally wrote this to @epicender584 as a private message.
And I was just going to give some basic tips.
Then I overthought it, spent WAAAAYYYY too much time on it… and this was the result.
I usually don’t give gear advice/play style advice, not because I don’t want to help, but because I don’t consider myself an expert or master level L33T gamer. I haven’t placed much faith in my advice to be helpful in the past… hence why most of my posts are jokes, but I’m going to post this publicly. Maybe I’m wrong and this will help someone. I mean… it looks good… to me… so… it must be helpful! Right? RIGHT??? Whatevs. Make of this what you will.
TIPS FOR BUILDING A GEAR LOADOUT WITH BENEDICT:
PLEASE NOTE: I do not consider myself an expert by any means. I honestly play more supports than I do Benedict in PVP. And Kelvin. Because I LOVE playing Kelvin in PVP. Gear choices are also based a lot on personal preference. That said, I will give you what notes I have.
PVE: (Or when you have time to shard gather)
RELOAD SPEED - I personally like to use Vyn’s Quiver. This also has the benefit of offering health regeneration. (Just in case your shields get depleted before you have a chance to pull back. See below.) EDIT: But this is only because I don’t have the epic gear “Rejuvenating Stalker Rounds.” Which is weird because I have three other reload speed options in epic gear. Thanks to @hanautaBOB for mentioning its existence to me. This gear is cheaper/better to use since you don’t have bullets to to gain the third skill.
SHIELD STRENGTH - I’ve found that equipping gear with shield strength works surprisingly well for Benedict. His shields and health will go down fast if you’re not careful. As he has no natural health regen, it takes forever to get that back once it goes down if you don’t have a healer. The extra shield strength gives you time to escape to a rooftop if you get surrounded before it cuts too deeply into your health. You should at no time tank as Benedict (unless they have REALLY bad aim). Once his shields get too low, you should pull back, regenerate, then push forward again. If you try to tank as him, you’re going to die. A lot. The Modernista is a good choice if you want to use liftoff or Hawkeye more often. It offers cooldown and a bit of extra protection from snipers/shooters with 20% bullet reflection. If you have an epic or legendary shield strength booster with shield regen increase, that is also a good choice. (ISIC’s Legendary has this, but I prefer the cooldown and bullet reflection of Modernista personally)
DAMAGE REDUCTION - An alternative to Shield Strength. Same philosophy as shield strength. Reduce incoming damage to stay in the game longer and keep Benny from getting shot in the face, but back out once it starts cutting into your health. These have some nice bonuses too. Unfortunately, I don’t have any Legendary damage reduction, but the epic gear “Readying TurtleGuard Armor” gives a secondary boost to reload. And makes Benny’s reload like 30% faster when used with Vyn’s Quiver.
ATTACK STRENGTH - Symbiotic Gauntlet is not a bad choice. When used in conjunction with Modernista, and tactical fall backs, you can keep your health relatively high, and thus use the damage bonus for current percentage of max health more often, and more effectively.
PVP: (When you don’t have time to shard gather or matches are going quickly)
I like to go with a low level shard gen and a low level reload speed. I need that reload speed… fast. I will go with a mid-tier to epic shield strength depending on my estimation of how much time I’ll have to gather shards. While it would be nice to HAVE IT ALL!!! (singing angelic choir here) Reload speed and shield strength are most important to how I play. I’ll sneak in some legendaries if I get onto a good team/have more opportunities to use shards on personal items. (building defenses/spending shards on other things is necessary a lot now in PVP with the minion buffs)
MY HIGHEST PRIORITIES
- Get that reload speed up.
- Get that shield strength/damage reduction up.
WOULD BE NICE
- Attack Damage (Always a good decision. Like Samuel Adams. Except during the morning rush hour. Don’t drink Samuel Adams during the morning rush hour)
- Shield Recharge (Gets you back out faster)
- Health Regneration. (Helpful)
- Skill Damage (If you want to piss off @EdenSophia with Hawkeye. I’m not a big “Hawkeye” Benedict. I liked getting the crits a lot more than the homing rockets before they removed crits. And I didn’t realize it until they were gone, and I was still aiming for the heads trying to get the damage bonus. Now it doesn’t matter where you hit, so Hawkeye is an effective strategy, but not one I enjoy using.)
- Movement Speed (Cool if you want to escape/get out there faster)
I GUESS THESE ARE NICE TOO…
- Shield Penetration (Not as big a deal since the sentry’s shield goes down faster in Incursion now, and Benny has extra shield penetration helixes anyway. Insert dirty sexual pun here.)
- Maximum Health (Not… super helpful once the enemy can crit you when your shields go down. Benny is a big target. You really want them to hit your shield more than you.)
- Attack Speed (Eh… It’s ok if the enemy is shooting down your rockets I guess.)
- Buildable Cost (Benny should be used for tactical offense/defense, as such, reload speed, attack speed, damage reduction, shield strength are more valuable uses of your slots.)
- CC Duration (I’m sure you can think of creative way to use this. Let me know how that goes.)
- Critical Hit Damage (Benny doesn’t crit. Anymore.)
- Heal Power (Only good if you have a dedicated healer…)
- Healing Received (Only good if you have a dedicated healer…)
- Recoil (Meh.)