Top 5 Favorite Movies

I was wondering what your guys’ favorite movies are, mine are:'71, Letters From Iwo Jima, Downfall, Mad Max Fury Road, and The Dark Knight

5 Likes

#1 : Lawrence of Arabia - besides being an incredible film it has a particular status in my family, especially between my sister, father and me.

#2 : The Matrix - I can’t think of a more revolutionary or influential film since Star Wars, but with a much less painful script :wink:

#3 : My Fair Lady - the finest musical of the 60’s. Audrey Hepburn, right?!?

#4 : Walk Hard, the Dewey Cox Story - perhaps not the funniest comedy of all time but the production is outstanding, the tunes are great and the DVD extras are mint. I mean, Cox Sausage? The best.

#5 : The Godfather (just kidding, it’s literally on every top 5 list I’ve ever seen - and rightly so, but a little too obvious)

#5 : Moonrise Kingdom - anything Wes Anderson but the very first scene put a great big grin on my face that never left the entire time I was in the theatre.

5 Likes

In no particular order - 1) fight club. I’m a huge chuck p fan. Read most of them. This movie is ingrained in my being. I also happen to own an original theatre vinyl banner from this movie ( yeah its like so big I can’t hang it anywhere). 2) the life aquatic. I can’t not watch it if I see it. 3) the big lebowski. Saw it in theatre in Houston Tx after seeing the play “rent”. 4) waking life. I saw this movie at a very special time with very special people and it’s stuck with me ever since. 5) conan the barbarian. My favorite movie as a kid ( not much censorship in my house ) and I still think it’s excellent. Don’t talk to me about Arnolds acting skill I could care less. The camera work…the props…the sets…and especially the music. They dont make em like this anymore.

5 Likes

To be honest I’m not much of a movie fan. I do occasionally go out to watch what I call “American Entertainment”. :wink: No offense intended. I think “real movie aficionados” would agree that big fx production and movies are two different things.
But I digress. As I said. I’m by no mean a reference but I’ll play along.

1. Star Wars: A new Hope. Because… Reasons :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. C.R.A.Z.Y. A Jean-Marc Vallée movie (Buyers club). If you can suffer subtitles. I strongly recommend it. Be it only for the soundtrack. (Trailer)

3. Incendie Dir. Denis Villeneuve (Arrival, Prisoner, Blade Runner 2049) Once again if you like good movies and don’t consider subtitles as the end of the world. Should be on Netflix somewhere.

4. Arrival. Denis Villeneuve.

5. The Dark Crystal. Jim Henson / Frank Oz Because I have a thing for “puppeteering”.

Honorable mention…
Full Metal Jacket. Stanley Kubrick. Which could had ended anywhere in the top five.
2001 A Space Odyssey. … Kubrick. (I suggest reading the book too as they are two different “creations” done in parallel)
Jason and the Argonauts. For the stop motion.

4 Likes

Top five is always hard for me, and I’ll probably be able to come back with another post with five different movies. But here goes, in no particular order.
DOA- the original, 1950ish. Love noir, and this one is great. Love the slide whistle when a pretty girl walks across the stage.
Bucket of Blood- original. Dick Miller is awesome, and the cringey beatniks make me giggle.
So I Married an Axe Murderer- Alan Arkin and Anthony LaPaglia are great and the Mike Myers poetry is so terrible I love it. (This poem…sucks?)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind- Miazaki.
Grandma’s Boy- it may not be a great film, but I laugh just as hard at the umpteenth viewing as I did at the first. “Ice cream sandwich? They’re on whole wheat.” “Hey monkey, karate chop the elephant!!!”
Honorable mentions to Nosferatu, the Killer Tomato films, and Killer Klowns from Outer Space.

5 Likes

Always… First I couldn’t find three and soon other one kept coming.
I don’t like “rating” art anyways. I,ts so subjective.

:laughing: Just that line is already funny enough!

Another one I should had put in the honorable mentions.
How did I forgot this one?

3 Likes

Bonus: Shawshank Redemption, and favorite director: Quentin Tarantino, even though none of my top 5 favorites include him, he’s made some great movies such as The Hateful Eight which is like a murder mystery type westerny movie, and Django Unchained, and Inglorious Bastards, because it’s the wackiest funniest war movie I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

How about favorite movie scores and/or soundtracks?
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly (what am I, a philistine?)
Fight Club (the Dust Brothers killed it)
From Hell (a great film on its own, but the score is wonderfully creepy)
In the Mouth of Madness/Escape from New York (love them. Creepy and cheesy)
Reservoir Dogs (the soundtrack cd is awesome. This is K-Billy’s sounds of the 70s weekend. Where the hits just keep… on… truckin’.)

3 Likes

It was tough for me to decide because there are so many great movies. But here are my favorites:

1. Atlantis: The Lost Empire: It’s arguably one of the best animated movies that Disney has ever made. And I wish they put Sci-Fi elements into their movies again.
    But I highly doubt it.

2. A tie between Guardians of the Galaxy and The Avengers: (The one from 2012, Not the one from.the late 90’s.) Out of all the movies in the MCU, These are two of my favorites. They’re both pretty good for the most part and GOTG is full of 70’s and 80’s music which I love.

3. Men in Black trilogy: I don’t know, I just like all three. I like the second one mostly for it’s art direction and character designs.

4. Cars: A childhood favorite of mine, I remember laughing so hard at the tractor tipping scene when I saw it in theaters when I was 5 and a half.

5. Cats & Dogs: Another childhood favorite and possibly the first movie I ever watched. And Mr. Tinkles is a funny name for a villain. :laughing:

Honorable Mentions: Madagascar, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Another childhood favorite.) Teen Titans Go to the Movies (I know. But it was hilarious.), Wreck-It Ralph, Every other Pixar movie except Incredibles 2, Coco, Cars 3, Finding Dory and The Good Dinosaur (Because I haven’t seen those yet.), Star Trek (2009) and The Motion Picture, The original Star Wars trilogy.

5 Likes

Well unfortunately it was the American butchered “warriors of the wind” but yes it was a childhood top5 for me. Had a huge and obvious influence in my art later in life

2 Likes

The first time I saw it I was a young 'un myself. I loved it so much that when I saw a DVD copy in Best Buy 20 something years later I spent my gas money on it. It was worth driving on fumes for. It was also my introduction to Miazaki, so it gets a lot of love and respect. I don’t even know if I have the proper one or the American butcher shop version. Also, Castle of Cagliostro. Love that green jacket, Lupin.

2 Likes

Well if they’re calling her “zandra” it’s the chopped one

2 Likes

That doesn’t ring a bell, but I’ll definitely be checking when I get home. Thank you.

@odiscordia If the back of the case only refers to her as Princess Nausicaa is that indicative of not being butchered, or do I need to watch it to be sure?

1 Like

It should yeah…if it says nausicaa at all it should be the right one.

2 Likes

Excellent. I’m due for a rewatch anyway, but it’s good to know that I likely have the proper version.

2 Likes

Also if it’s 117 minutes long it’s the right one. The other was stripped to 95. There’s a really detailed article titled “when nausicaa of the valley of the wind become warriors of the wind” or something like that if you’re curious it’s a good read

2 Likes

It’s 117 minutes, so impulse purchases in my early 20s win again. :fist: :partying_face:

1 Like

I have to admit, …I actually like the voices of warriors better. Probably because it’s just so ingrained it’s distracting otherwise. Ah well

1 Like

Directors! I chose six (actually I snuck in a seventh) just because. These are the directors whose entire catalogues are masterpieces in my opinion. I have the utmost respect for their purity of vision.

• Denis Villeneuve - @Dr_Do-Little mentioned Incendies above. That and everything else he’s done are perfection.
  • Stanley Kubrick - naturally.
  • Orson Wells - no one ever framed a shot like him.
  • Richard Linklater - dozens of gems starting with Slacker. From absurd to hilarious to cerebral pseudo-films like Waking Life and Scanner Darkly to pure character like Before Sunrise, etc.
  • Wes Anderson - no comparison. Every movie is 100% him.
  • Christopher Nolan - accused of being dry (which is true) but otherwise a modern David Lean (who really also deserves to be here).
3 Likes

Ooo! Prepare for a motley list!

1. Downfall. It’s a really careful, attentive and somber meditations on Nazism in a sea of Hollywood ww2 films (don’t get me wrong I love those too, but Oliver Hirschbiegel gets my respect).

2. Caligula. Also an exceptional piece of historical fiction. In very different ways. Helen Mirren describes it as “an irrisistible mix of art and genitals”. It has Peter O’Toole in it, stoned, and Malcolm McDowell in bed with a horse. It’s goddamn awesome. I don’t respect it… I love it.

3. Cabaret. The stage play and the Isherwood books it’s inspired by share its sinisterness and ultimately despairing image of hedonism while sleeping through history.

4. Muppet Treasure Island. My childhood love. Long John Silver is one of my favourite characters in all literature and Tim Curry (plus his pet lobster) is an awesome rendition.

5. Saw. I really like this movie! It’s stupid and hilarious for that but not in the least obnoxious like Hostel. The gore is delicious (at least for someone as desensitised as I probably am) but not overdone, in the first one at least.

In terms of directors… I’ll confess most of the ones I treasure make B-movies, and Tinto Brass (who sort of directed Caligula, as much anyone got control of that sleazy masterpiece) is one of my favourite. I won’t mention the other film of his I love in a post that talks about Downfall and Cabaret :grin:

I loved and watched this film so much when I was a kid!! It’s really well done.

I also loved Arrival too, though something I was reading recently made me a bit wary of its claims about language… can’t turn off the English student in me :stuck_out_tongue:

I probably reveal myself as a philistine but I find quite a few Kubrick films underwhelming. Dr Strangelove has panache though.

6 Likes