Top Gear for Athena the Gladiator

Good Morning. Just moved from BL2 to TPS and trying my hand at Athena so of course checked out this thread. One thing I’ve noted missing is suggestions for non-legendary/unique gear to use whilst levelling - would there be any value in considering these?

@notoriusb_e_n There are plenty of unique weapons already listed in the OP. Also, a lot of purple and blue weapons in this game are much more effective than they were in BL2 because the scaling is much improved. Were you looking for any type specifically?

Hi - I was talking about “Standard - white to purple” weapons - the commonplace weapons that you make do with until you get the top tier gear - that work well with Athena’s skillset/strengths - turns out after spending a few more hours I might be overthinking it - fire, shock variance of whatever you like to use, plus ceraunic storm tree - seems you can’t go far wrong.

Well white to blue gear isn’t going to make it in the rankings. There are some very good purples from the various manufacturers. I’ve found elemental Vladof ARs great for stacking, Hyperion shotties and pistols for general utility, Torgue rifles and shotguns for finishing off a frozen enemy, and pretty much any Jakobs weapon to be worth consideration.

1 Like

Quick advice then:

As for blues, if you have a BL1 save, the Bullpup is one of the best guns in the game.

For guns, I’d recommend checking out Chuck’s shotgun guide over in the items and loot section. He gives a good weapon breakdown.

For lasers, you can’t go wrong with Maliwan. Splitters are great with Athena. Surprisingly, Tediore makes good ones too.

For shields, Cryo spike shields are awesome. Also rare.

For grenades, Derch and Sjim sold me on blue or purple Vladof cryo grenades, longbow or lobbed, with short fuses. They freeze baddies real well. The standard Vladof Teslas are excellent for CS Athena as well.

For Oz kits, Precision Strike works well with shotties and splitters.

1 Like

Thanks @BookEmDano and @Stoopicus exactly the sort of suggestions I was looking for.

Instead of this

Thorny Ol’ Rosie

Every thorn has it’s rose.

This is a unique Maliwan purple laser that’s special effect is an extra 368% multiplicative damage from continuous fire. A normal Maliwan Beam has 214% at max and they are powerful. Just hold down the trigger and profit between the Maelstrom you stack up and the almost 400%+ buff you get not much can survive this. It is the second highest DPS laser in the game.

• Elements: Fire, Shock, Corrosive, and Cryo
  • Best Parts: Locked parts
  • Obtaining: It is a reward for completing the final main story quest: The Beginning of the End (True Vault Hunter Mode only)

Would this be helpful

Thorny Ol’ Rosie

Every thorn has it’s rose.

This is a unique Maliwan purple laser that’s special effect is an extra 368% multiplicative damage from continuous fire. A normal Maliwan Beam has 214% at max and they are powerful. Just hold down the trigger and profit between the Maelstrom you stack up and the almost 400%+ buff you get not much can survive this. It is the second highest DPS laser in the game.

• Elements: Fire, Shock, Corrosive, and Cryo
  • Best Parts: Locked parts
  • Obtaining: It is a reward for completing the final main story quest: The Beginning of the End (True Vault Hunter Mode only)
  • Non Red Text Alternative: Maliwan Beam

It sure is.

I have a few suggestions on gear.

Raging Storm>Surging Storm. +6 Storm Weaving is more important than the +6 Unrelenting.

Purple Dragon’s are better than blue. There is really no reason not to take Overload if you’re running Dragon. It’s very effective for Maelstrom stacking and you can get a very high chance to proc with purple. Ravaging or Blazing is my preference.

Assault Rifle recommendations: Purple Torgue (Vladof or Bandit Barrel) are much more effective than KerBoom. Really just a good all around explosive element rifle. Also, purple Vladof Rifles (again Vladof or Bandit Barrel) are great stack builders. Either of these can be a non-red text recommendation but can easily replace their legendary counterpart.

Hyperion Thinking and Crowdsourcing shotguns are beastly mobbing or raiding. I haven’t found a better all purpose shotty than the Thinking but the Crowdsourcing is ideal for Blood Rush+Tear abuse. Can be non-red text recommendation for Bullpup as that isn’t really an in-game item.

SMGs needs Fatale. Seriously, why isn’t this gun on your list?

Shields: Fabled Tortoise and purple Turtle Shields are easily the best shields I have used on my Athenas. Conduit makes tanking with these things ideal.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for all that. I’ll get on them and hopefully start updating this more in the next few days with more gear.

Very much so @Derch. I liked on the BL2 Top gear threads that recommended Purples were also listed as “honorable mentions” or the like, so that even if you hadn’t found the “Unique/Legendary” tier weapons yet (e.g were on your first playthrough), you knew what to look out for on the way.

I have a few suggestions: first is adding the Pitchfork to the top snipers, cause it has high damage potential, even more with mealstrom and can come in all elements. It tears through ammo, but Elemental Barrage takes care of that. Its also really nice against the Sentinels Big ugly face.
The second is to remove the Fragnum from the list. It isn’t scaling really well and each purple Torgue-pistol or shotgun does a better job against frozen enemys.
The most important thing is: ADD THE PARTYLINE!!! It stacks like crazy and even makes a more efficient work on fleshy targets than the Flakker. Its great, even on non-mealstrom-builds.
One last thing: the Rosie’s description is incorrect by now. Its a last-mission-reward in UVHM as well.

Just my two cents.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll get to those tomorrow

2 Likes

@narfkeks Good call on the Pitchfork which is definitely top gear. I think Bolshy Longnail is really good on elemental Athena too.

While is doesn’t have great synergy with the Aspis, the Blowfly is a powerhouse. If you can take advantage of it’s 7-round burst ADS, it’s probably one of the best corrosive weapons in the game.

Good point on the bowfly now that UVHM is here and we have armored badass enemies corrosive has much more of a use.

Updates

• added some of the Non Red Text Alternatives
  • added fatale
  • added party line
  • updated storm com and dragon com
  • cleaned up a few descriptions

to do

• Look at AR’s
  • Add pitchfork
  • look at non red text hyp shotguns
  • look at turtle shields
  • look at fragnum and bowfly

keep up the good suggestions and I’ll keep updating this, thanks everyone

1 Like

Shooting Star deals explosive damage to things you successfully hit with Melee while depleted.

The Electrocute damage listed on the Holograma COM card acts the same way as the Storm COM? If so, it’s a really great COM

I haven’t tested that yet, Has anyone else?

I’ve avoided both holodome COMs so far. They look like an odd mix of skills to me.

Added pitchfork

I don’t know about the chronicler but the hologram is quite nice. Boosting superconductor and overload is a great match and the card buffs are really nice on it.