In this tutorial you will learn how to play custom content and enable the level editor with step by step instructions. This is for the latest version of Borderlands (1.5.0)
I will also be creating written tutorials covering basics of the unreal editor sometime down the road in hopes of getting more people interested and involved with making new content.
These are the resources you will require to begin your modding.
Oasis Map Hub
Download all of the resources listed above.
Extract the ZBL_Patch.zip to your Borderlands directory.
- It should promt you to merge and overwrite files, select yes to all.
- If you didn't merge folders you extracted it to the wrong spot. Go back and try again.
Located in the folder you just extracted to:
If you are running Windows 7 run the file win7_fix.bat
If you are using Windows XP or Vista (really..?) run the fix.bat
STEAM USERS ONLY
If you are not using a steam version skip to step 5.
If you are using steam go to the following directory and delete the file "nvcpl.dll"
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Borderlands\Binaries
Extract the folders "MapSlots" and "Oasis" from Oasis.zip into the following directory.
Extract WillowTree#.zip anywhere you prefer, I suggest your Borderlands root directory just to keep everything in one place.
Run WillowTree#.exe and click the orb in the top left corner, select open.
- From here you will have to find your character save location if it is not automatically set there.
They can be found here:
Once you have selected a save file the name and level of your character should appear in the bar at the top of WillowTree#, if this is not the character you wanted go back to step 6 and select a different save file.
Once you have the character you want to access modded content click the general info tab.
- From here under the list on the right hand side "Visited Locations" click New.
- There will be a location called "Oasis" click it, it should add it to the list.
- Click the orb in the top left and select save.
You should now be able to find the Oasis in your fast travel locations.
To install custom content you will usually overwrite a "Mapslot" in the "MapSlots" folder.
- Once you have overwritten a Mapslot file you will head into the game and to Oasis where you will find a bunch of signs with numbers on them, the one to use will be the same number of the mapslot you overwrote.
Sometimes there will be additional packages that come with custom content, these can be placed anywhere within the "CookedPC" folder.
- Packages contain all of your textures, sounds, definitions, etc.
If you only want to play custom content you can stop here, if you want to access the editor and create your own content read on.
Go to your binaries folder, right click the Borderlands.exe and create a shourtcut.
- Rename this shortcut to something along the lines of "Editor"
Right click newly made shortcut and select properties.
- Where it says "Target:" you will see a line of text
- Wrap the entire target in quotations and add -editor to the end, it should look something like this, but not exactly so do not copy and paste my line below.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Borderlands\Binaries\Borderlands.exe" -editor
You should now be able to run the editor.
DrZed - For creating the ZBL Patch making all of this possible.
Amran - For creating the beautiful Oasis Hub.
XanderChaos - For creating WillowTree#
Matt911 - Also for creating WillowTree#