UI Textures unable to load?

So after trying some mild modding, I have been getting this weird issue:

Almost all UI textures are unable to load when I load in Kadeshi ships, this is very strange because I haven’t made any hods or even textures, but only playing with adding some races, using the stock hods.

Here are the messages contained in the log file

Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW2_icon_misc_ships.dds) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW1_icon_Tai_ships.dds) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW2_icon_Vgr_ships.dds) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW2_icon_Hgn_ships.dds) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW1_icon_Tai_ships.dds) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW2_icon_Hgn_ships.dds) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW1_icon_Kus_ships.dds) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW1_icon_Kus_ships.dds) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW1_icon_misc_ships.dds) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW2_icon_misc_ships.dds) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW1_icon_misc_ships.dds) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\icon_ships.mres) 
 Unable to retrieve UI (animated) texture (DATA:\Ship\Icons\HW2_icon_Vgr_ships.dds) 
And the list goes on....

It could be due to some corruption of the “shipicons.lua”?

Make sure you don’t have an open statement somewhere in shipicons.lua. Could be it breaks somewhere in there and thus can’t load any files after it.

It seems that you have added too many races and trying to use all of them at the same time, that makes the game engine run out of memory.
HWRM is a 32 bit program, so it can only use 2GB memory. When it’s almost running out of memory, it will try to “throw away” those textures to make sure the game can at least “launch”, thus you will see those “Unable to retrieve UI texture” warning.

Just go to game options and choose a lower Texture Quality. By doing so the game will need less memory and the problem will be gone.

Actually you are right about lowering the texture and quality size fixes the issue, but it still make no sense, because It only happens when the player uses the Kadeshi, it doesn’t matter how many races are used at once, it just happens in the 2.1 version of the game too, the 1.3 version doesn’t have this issue, and the 2GB memory limit is still to far away, my mod in the 1.3 version of the game uses 800MB more than the 2.1 it has way more races, and can load them all at once without issue.

I had a similar issue reported by a player of my mod:

This time not only UI textures but the Kushan mothership is affected…

1 Like

wow! Because you added an extra race?

This also happens to the Chinese version of FX:Galaxy (which has a 100+MB Chinese font) - when people load more than 6 (or 7? I don’t remember the exact number) different races in one map the engine starts to refuse to load some textures, and when loading all 8 different races in one map the game will just crash.
But if you get this with only 3 different races in one map, I guess you are in huge trouble - I guess you will need to use smaller textures for your models.

1 Like

Its not quite that simple. It seems that he played multiple matches, the first had 4 races. Maybe the loaded ships from that game stayed in the memory? I could not reproduce this on my machine, so maybe it is machine-specific…

@HarbingerDawn could you try lowering your graphics settings to see if that helps?

1 Like