Unable to bind keys to certain mouse buttons

I recently picked up BL2 on a Steam sale just for kicks as I won’t be in front of my usual PS4 for awhile…I have a gaming mouse with several buttons but the game is currently only letting me bind keys to the two main buttons and two of the side buttons…Anyone else run into anything like this?

2 Likes

I haven’t, but have you installed the config software that they often suggest? Like Razer Synapse? That might cause a conflict or “hide” “Mouse 6” et al. I personally never use it.

Normally Left and Right buttons are Mouse-1 and Mouse-2
The wheel button will be Mouse-3
The main thumb buttons Mouse-4 and -5

Are you at least getting that?

1 Like

I’m getting Mouse 1/Mouse 2, 4 and 5, wheel up, wheel down, but strangely not 3 or the other two…

I have installed the software (Corsair) and am currently examining their help page, it looks like I might be able to use that to install a macro that rebinds the keys through the program…dunno, next thing to try I guess

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, what’s the configuration you’re going for?

I have several thumb buttons but I find I only use the two (M-4 and -5) : melee and grenade.

2 Likes

I’ve never used a K/B mouse setup before and so I want to bind as much as possible to the mouse as I have trouble using WASD, let alone to have to do more things with that hand…I’m on a low-end laptop as I’m traveling, so probably not the optimal setup…

2 Likes

The Corsair software should work, but if you need something else, I use autohotkey. It’s been around for some time and I have been using it for years.

I only use it when I am read-only farming. I have a macro that sets mouse button 4 to save and quit and mouse button 5 to select the character and continue.

My Logitech M570 trackball only has mouse buttons 1-2, 4-5, and the wheel. I could be wrong, but I think that mouse button 3 is the middle one for a three button mouse. Autohotkey has a way of detecting other mouse buttons and allowing you to program them to send a single key or run a macro.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I use an Xbox controller when I am playing, and rarely use the mouse or keyboard. I have a nephew who uses his PS4 controller on the PC, so you could also look into that. I helped him setup his controller years ago and it needed extra software, but that was before Steam added Controller Configuration settings.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help and ideas, I’m currently trying them out and will let you know if I’m successful

edit: sweet, found directions on the Corsair website for how to navigate their extremely unintuitive program that creates a macro which rebinds the keys on the mouse outside of the game…thanks @rja and @jefe for your help…now to get to a new BL2 experience, definitely will add to the challenge trying to figure this movement thing out on keyboard, not that I was ever that great at the game on console :grin:

2 Likes

Good luck retraining your muscle memory.

When I first started playing with the controller, I re-assigned the controller buttons to what I thought was how I played Halo. Bad idea. Later, I went back to the defaults and forced myself to relearn what to hit when I was panicking. It took awhile.

2 Likes