Unable to run HW2 Disc(AND Gearbox's classic) version on Win7 64bit AMD GFX [Workaround]

This is how I fixed it.

1. Installed AMD 14.4 Driver
  2. Do a search on your computer for the atioglxx.dll. Find the one dated 04-17-14, for your reference it showed it was located in C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\
  3. Copy this atioglxx.dll, and paste it into your HW2 directory. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\Bin\Release.
  4. Install the lastest/greatest AMD driver.
  5. Play

Hopefully gearbox wont mind me opening a thread on this issue with the original disc version of the game.

I was gonna play HW2 but I couldn’t get it to work on windows 7. It’s so odd I had no issues with HW1, but HW2 was a pain in the butt. I got 64bit OS, and tried all the fun fixes to try making it work. Tried a german no-cd), made sure was patched, ran in every compatibility mode imaginable. Would go to black screen then crash on startup. Even tried installing it to the root of my hard drive. (this entire paragraph is only for disc version, don’t mess around with this with the gearbox version)

I have a R9 290x, and even tried placing that nice ati driver fix into my bin\release folder. Was pretty sad I couldn’t play it. I guess if I’m super desperate I could always install XP on a small partition just for the game. If the original version on the remaster works like it’s suppose to, then I’ll just give up on it. hw2.log said

UTIL – filepath failure, path doesn’t exists ‘C:\PROGRA~1\Sierra\HOMEWO~1\data\locale\english’ Uing …profiles\ for profiles folder .

The hw2.log indicated a problem with the ati driver, up until I dropped that ati driver fix. Now all it says is something about unable to find the path. However, if you check the dump file’s it creates every time it fails to launch, it still says something about that driver. My research online seems to lead to that line in the hw2.log is always there no matter what the situation, and doesn’t tell us anything. Or rather isn’t indicative of any issues.

There’s many things to try, and I feel like I’ve tried them all. relicforums That has a lot of fun stuff to try. Some people seemed to have trouble with DEP, but I’ve tried disabling it completely, or even adding hw2 to the exceptions, to no avail. I even got desperate and rolled back my ati drivers to back to one from 2013, with no success. I haven’t however done a driver cleaner app. I just used the amd uninstaller, which does seem to do a efficient cleanup of its drivers these days.

Another link of someone showing a similar fix that I’ve tried but failed to get it to load at all.

It’s almost as if there could be some issue with DEP, or maybe a issue with this driver. Even after loading the driver fix into the folder, it still doesn’t want to work.

I know to some it’s a moot point sense we are about to be able to play them with HW:R launch. But sense the original HW2 isn’t completely the original, I was hoping to still be able to have the disc version work. In the event I’d like to go back and revisit it.

If anyone else has struggled like I have, but found a solution please feel free to drop me a link. I’d appreciate it.

1 Like

Gearbox’s Homeworld 2 Classic and Sierra’s Homeworld 2 disc version do not work on AMD Catalyst Omega 14.12 drivers.

I have the same graphics card, setup and everything. I had to uninstall the Catalyst Omega 14.12 drivers and go back to the OEM drivers that came with my graphics card, and those ran HW2 fine. I’m running Catalyst 14.2 now and everything works including Complex.

You might get it to work on Catalyst 14.9 as well, but I haven’t tried this yet.

Latest version that works with Homeworld 2 Classic seems to be Catalyst 14.4 as reported by users.

1 Like

Oh well that’s good to know that they both have the issue, maybe we’ll be able to get it working, without downgrading drivers. I played with it a little bit, and its the same exact results I was experiencing with the disc version.

My HW2.log file

Thu Feb 26 06:45:23 2015
Loaded Archive: ‘Homeworld2.big’
UTIL – filepath failure, path doesn’t exists ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\data\locale\English’
Loaded Archive: ‘English.big’
Uing …profiles\ for profiles folder
Changing from a 32 bit colour depth in winNT (6.1 build 7601), Service Pack 1
error executing GetAssumedLatestDll() in driverConfig.lua
error executing GetAssumedLatestDllVersion() in driverConfig.lua
error executing AdjustForBadDrivers() in driverConfig.lua
Using ATI Technologies Inc.'s 4.4.13084 Compatibility Profile Context 14.301.1001.0 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series renderer (Suspected driver is 0)
Loaded Archive: ‘EnglishSpeech.big’
Loaded Archive: ‘Music.big’
SOUND – created destination [ fdaudio ], handle [ 4 ] with [ 48 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ fda streamer ], handle [ 5 ] with [ 8 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ dxa streamer ], handle [ 0 ] with [ 8 ] channels created
SOUND – created destination [ dxaudio ], handle [ 1 ] with [ 48 ] channels created
Build name:
Built by : builduser
Data path : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\data

What my log file looks like if I use the driver fix.

Thu Feb 26 06:48:12 2015
Loaded Archive: ‘Homeworld2.big’
UTIL – filepath failure, path doesn’t exists ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\data\locale\English’
Loaded Archive: ‘English.big’
Uing …profiles\ for profiles folder
Changing from a 32 bit colour depth in winNT (6.1 build 7601), Service Pack 1

The driver fix is the same one in the previous post I made, where you dl the atioglxx.dll fix and past it in the release folder. This apparently use to fix this kind of problem. But I’m not sure why it doesnt now.

Homeworld2.exe caused an Access Violation in module atioglxx.dll at 0023:0b106c61.

That was in both of my dump files. I’ll update the subject sense it applies to both the original and the one on gearbox’s remaster package.

Same problem. Will not run on Win8.1x64 | AMD FX8350 ~4.0GHz | AMD R9-280x 3Gb | 16Gb Ram.

The old problem with AMD drivers, only the usual atioglxx.dll fix (the older version from catalyst 14.9) does not fix it.

Will however run on my old laptop Win7x64 | Intel i7-720QM ~1.66GHz | AMD mobility radeon 5850HD | 8Gb Ram.

with the usual atioglxx.dll (the older version from catalyst 14.9) fix of course.

Suspect this is an AMD issue that Gearbox can not fix.

So Sammi you’re saying that on your laptop, it wouldn’t work, until you applied the atioglxx.dll fix? It’s almost as though there is some kind of override occurring with the atioglxx.dll with the newer GFX cards, if thats the case.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?276523-ATI-driver-14-9-broke-HW2-%28atioglxx-dll-access-violation%29-%28solved-read-in-thread%29
Another link on relicnews detailing the ati fix. I don’t understand why this isn’t working anymore, for the latest GFX cards, there has to be a reason. Can anyone at Gearbox look into it. I suppose we need to put in a ticket. But being that it’s a driver problem, it’s essentially not really in their scope of support.

I did get the game to run, but like many other posts in the past. I had to get a driver from before 14.9 release. 14.4 Driver to make it work. Keep in mind if your one of those AMD users that have been ripping your hair out trying to make it work. When you DO install this older driver. You must remove the ATI fix out of your release folder. Because if you leave it in there, it will still cause a access violation.

OK I found a reasonable enough fix I think. After I discovered that I couldn’t get it working with old drivers, BECAUSE I still had the ati fix applied in my bin\release folder. By accident I guess, I found that this “doom3BFG” version of the ati driver seems to not really be a fix for hw2 classic. I did a search on my computer for the atioglxx.dll, after installing the older driver. I copied it to my desktop to save it. Then I installed the newest drivers from AMD. Then I took that older 14.4 atioglxx.dll, and put THAT file in my bin\release folder. Now I’m golden. This should be a reasonable fix for most I think. I wish there was a way I could steer people away from all these posts all over the internet, and say HEY the doom3BFG fix does not work for hw2. Hopefully they will find this thread on google/yahoo. If there was a good place to host this .dll I’d do that but for the time being, this is what we have to do, to work around the issue.

1 Like

OK that is interesting. Another way to acquire that file without installing the older driver would be to simply extract it then cancel before the actual install, then use command line to unpack the relevant .dll. But you are sure that the 14.4 version of atioglxx.dll works in place of the 14.9 version? in bin/release/?

I will try it and report here.

I wonder if someone can put the dll up on a host somewhere, so people can dl that, and just put it in their hw2 folder. Instead of having to install the olddriver, and finding it themselves, then reapplying the most recent. I spent like 5 hrs this last weekend trying to find a fix for this. This seems to be the one. Sammi did you say the old fix worked on your older laptop? Maybe this is more complicated, like one atioglxx.dll version will work with a certain subset of cards, while another one is required for others.

Yeah the old (well actually newer version from 14.9) one does work on my laptop which is specced as above

But thank you for finding that this one from 14.4 worked, it certainly does - We should mark this thread [workaround]

I will leave instructions here for extracting the file from the 14.4 package so people don’t have to install older drivers etc.

Step 1
Download the 14.4 catalyst driver from AMD here: AMD Catalyst Driver 14.4

Step 2
From the download location, run the amd-catalyst-14.4-64bit-win8.1-win8-win7-whql-aug.exe and it will display a temporary path where it will extract the installation files. Keep a note of this or change it to your preference. Default will be C:\AMD\AMD-Catalyst-14.4-64Bit-Win8.1-Win8-Win7-WHQL-Aug\

Once the extraction has finished you will be prompted to install the driver. We only want one specific file from the package so here you should click the Cancel button to stop the installation.

Step 3
Navigate to the folder where the package has been extracted, then navigate into \Packages\Drivers\Display\W86A_INF\

Hold ‘Shift’ and Right Click on the B171094 folder, and select ‘Open command window here.’

Step 4
At the command prompt, type expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll and press enter. A dialogue will confirm the unpack. Now you can simply cut and paste the atioglxx.dll file from the B171094 folder into your Homeworld2 classic \bin\release folder.

3 Likes

The 14.4 dll got my game running, BUT there are a lot of graphic glitches like missing/corrupted engine trails.
Tried some random atioglxx.dll from the web, but that turned to be too old (lol) do run HW2 and it gave me an error at startup :smile:

There’s apparently glitches with people playing it with other hardware setups, that aren’t doing this workaround. I don’t believe this would be the cause of those issues, but I couldn’t rule it out lol. The engine trails are a hot button issue atm i think.

Awesome workaround. (Other threads I found either told me to roll my driver back globally, or install a DLL from the Internet.) Having a local override for HW2 is satisfactory.

For what it’s worth, I found several old versions on my own PC. The one dated 2013-12-07 works nicely (not sure what version it is). (I tried an even older DLL and it worked, but the graphics were all messed up.)

So is any of the devs looking into this ?

I’m sure they’ll eyeball it, the problem is this is a driver issue with AMD. A couple years ago, AMD would go back and forth with breaking and fixing this particular issue. I’m not sure if they specifically were fixing this problem with their various updates, or if it was just a side effect. Someone bored enough could go look through the release notes of all of those to find out. But ya this issue is technically not gearbox’s problem. But maybe they could talk to AMD to see if there’s something they could do in the next release. Also I’m not sure if gearbox is using the forums specifically to find and address issues. They likely are looking at the ticket system that they keep asking players to use, for problems, primarily. This problem would be pretty high priority you’d think, sense it probably effects the majority of AMD users that try to play the original HW2 classic. So we should at some point hear something, I’d hope. Even if it is just, “well this isn’t our problem, blah blah blah”.

1 Like

Having been through this song and dance with Homeworld and AMD/ATI before, I knew to use the old drivers to get this working. What I have encountered, and have no idea how to fix, is a freeze when trying to launch multiplayer inside of HW2 classic.

Using the Stargate Space Conflict mod(or any other mod I’ve tested, complex 9.1 and a star trek mod), the same error occurs. Initially I thought it was a matter of flopped , and . for decimal places, which can cause the lua error that lead me to this forum.

I’m totally stumped as to why this is happening, given that the 14.4 dll should have fixed graphics/LUA related problems, but it hasn’t. Anyone have any experience with this, or encounter this themselves? I don’t have a disc version of the game to test against to see if the error occurs with both steam edition and disc version.

Here is the HW2.log

Fri Feb 27 16:03:53 2015 Loaded Archive: 'Homeworld2.big' Loaded Archive: 'English.big' Loaded Archive: 'ssc.big' Uing ..profiles\ for profiles folder GAME -- Using player profile Isuldor Changing from a 32 bit colour depth in winNT (5.1 build 2600), Service Pack 3 error executing GetAssumedLatestDll() in driverConfig.lua error executing GetAssumedLatestDllVersion() in driverConfig.lua error executing AdjustForBadDrivers() in driverConfig.lua Using ATI Technologies Inc.'s 4.4.12874 Compatibility Profile Context 14.301.1001.0 AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series renderer (Suspected driver is 0) Loaded Archive: 'EnglishSpeech.big' Loaded Archive: 'Music.big' SOUND -- created destination [ fdaudio ], handle [ 4 ] with [ 48 ] channels created SOUND -- created destination [ fda streamer ], handle [ 5 ] with [ 8 ] channels created SOUND -- created destination [ dxa streamer ], handle [ 0 ] with [ 8 ] channels created SOUND -- created destination [ dxaudio ], handle [ 1 ] with [ 48 ] channels created Build name: Built by : builduser Data path : O:\Steam\steamapps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\data Program "!!ARBfp1.0

OPTION ARB_precision_hint_fastest;

#OPTION ARB_precision_hint_nicest;

#######################################################

Modified by CnlPepper to remove lighting stages

Modified by CnlPepper to remove unnecessary code

Modified by CnlPepper to add bilinear interpolation

#######################################################

IF YOU ARE SEEING THIS TEXT IN THE HW2.LOG FILE THEN THE SHADOWANDLIGHT.FP SHADER HAS FAILED TO LOAD

THESE SHADERS REQUIRE A GRAPHICS CARD CAPABLE OF AT LEAST SHADER MODEL 2.0B

ATTRIB col0 = fragment.color.primary; #diffuse interpolated color

ATTRIB coordShadow = fragment.texcoord[0]; # shadow texture coordinates

ATTRIB coordTex = fragment.texcoord[1]; # alpha (diffuse) texture coordinates

#PARAM texScale = { 4096, 0.0002441406, 0, 0}; # scale factors for shadow texture (4096x4096)

PARAM texScale = { 2048, 0.0004882813, 0, 0}; # scale factors for shadow texture (2048x2048)

#PARAM texScale = { 1024, 0.0009765¬ù
Loading low quality shadow fragment program
Attribute Transparence not found in stylesheet!
Attribute transparence not found in stylesheet!
Attribute Transparent not found in stylesheet!

@drakolombardi did what u did but did not work so i tried a few other things and it now works. specs Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 AMD FX-8350 not OC ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (Socket 942)
NS-32E740A12 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2243W (1920x1080@60Hz)
4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (MSI)931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATA)

first thing used catylse to unistall all driver face palm comp did not like it blue screen of death comp take take 15 min to restart notice raptor was still on pc. next i tryed launching hmw2c through steam luancher and by it self bath for exe is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\Bin\Release it worked after allowing addmin and runing in windows xpsp3. next updated drivers process took approx one hour. after reboot check driver virsion raptor said its 14.12 and its uptodate. game will not launch now. So i find atioglxx.dll in this path C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\c7164183.inf_amd64_neutral_47e2fb1c5e588145\B164231 it was dated 10/25/2013 1.21pm. and drag and drop into homeworld2C director C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Homeworld\Homeworld2Classic\Bin\Release now it works fine. you still have to manually adjust res though. hope this helps

I’ll have the same issues, Homeworld 2 classic dont even load, homeworld 1 loads, but when i’ll start the tutorial or an skirmish or single player, the game crash and send me back to the desktop.

Using an Radeon HD6750 with catalyst omega 14.12, i’ll was using an older version but for hwrc updated the drivers.

My system specs
Intel DH67CL
Intel i3-2130 3.4 Ghz
8 GB RAM Kingston Hyperx Blu 1333 mhz DDR3
AMD HD6750 1 GB GDDR5.
Catalyst Omega (14.12)

I have an AMD Radeon HD 8610G GPU, and windows 8.1 running on my laptop. Remastered HW/HW2 runs fine with no issues at all.

I got GBX HW2 Classic to work using the ATI driver fix, and i have the same broken engine trail issues as everyone else. Yet when i install my Relic HW2 classic CD. Update it to 1.1 (using the windows 8 HW2 1.1 fix), and use the very same ATI fix. I have no issues at all. Go figure.

For HW1 classic the GBX version does not support widescreen. It don’t even support 1024x768. When i start HW1, and adjust the screen res to 1024. The game seems to stay at 800x600, but the picture is 1024. In other words half the screen is missing, and i have to regedit the screen back to 800x600. I wonder if the GBX version needs the hardware accelerator fix? Has anyone tried that?

Yet my Relic HW1 classic CD does not have this issue. When regediting the widescreen res, and installing the hardware acceleration fix for windows 7/8. No problems.

TBH i wanted to try the GBX versions of the classics to see what if anything was changed.

There was a thread about engine trails being a issue. I saw the engine trial issue on one of those youtube review people showing a side by side comparison. The guy wasn’t completely ignorant of homeworld before his comparison so I think he believed it was like that in the old version. So yes the engine trail issue has nothing to do with this work around. Although I would be interested to see if any Nvidia people also see this problem. I think it exists for everyone? I think I heard rumblings from some people saying it was a wide screen issue, and when you brought it into the old school box resolutions like 1280x1024, 1024x768, the issue disappeared.

So you might want to try that. But keep in mind if you do use the old res, it will stretch the game. So My advice is to use the shortcut command -windowed, so that it still looks normal. Not related to the bug, but when I played the old versions of homeworld right before the remaster launch, I played exclusively in windowed for both games, because I didn’t like the stretched out graphics.(sense those games had no native wide screen, sense widescreen didn’t exist back then.) If anyone has the engine trail thread, can you link for this guy. I’m too tired to go searching atm.

I’m not really sure if this is the same problem as we have. Our issue Taekasten, was the game would not even open. You would pull up the launcher, and then click homeworld2 classic, and it would poop out immediately. But hey post your hw2.log and dump log file in here, and maybe it will show us what is going on. I still haven’t heard anything from gearbox on this issue loading the game. Please look into this, don’t tell me we have to use a work around forever. It would be nice if something could be looked into.