Various Mechanics and Suggestions

This is meant to be a reply to some notions mentioned on the 2.1 issues thread, but these specific ideas/concerns really should have more specific attention to them that won’t bog up the other thread.

Missiles don’t have 10km retargeting. My apologies for not being clear on this bofore, just was typing as quick as I could before I fell asleep. They have a 10km lifetime. That means you can force select a unit and have that unit walk those missiles to the enemy. One the missiles reach the enemy, you can scuttle your ship, thus initiating the missile auto-targeting.

The best solution would be to firstly separate the missile class of plats, hfm, destroyers, and cruiser. This is vital, as each ship’s missiles lifetime should be dependent on the specific ship’s range. Retargetting for the hmf specific missile, when cut down to 400 or so, really does wonders in balance against hw2 ion cannons, for when the target explode, some of the missiles detonate while others will target. This allows partial loss of firepower from the frigate missile volley, similar to ion cannon frigates when their target is destroyed.

The next solution (and I’ve only done minor changes here, so do look into this closely) would be to change the missile lifetime/range. Mostly, the destroyers and the cruisers are just fine here, just the plats and the frigates. I don’t have an strong opinion or fair advice as to which should have larger range or how much it should be nerfed/buffed, as the retargetting value will fix most of this. This idea can be tossed, as it doesn’t play a major role in balancing right now, or so I’ve noticed.

As far as fighters, my point is that they should be able to deal more than their health value on impact. Same with corvettes.

Two to four squads should be able to take out a frigate, as the cost isn’t worth it economically, and you lose whatever edge you had in the fighter/corvette field. Kamakzi is a unique strategy that should work if in desperation, not work if you have every fighter and corvette built in the game. Two might be a little too low, as hyper-torping would become difficult. Again, if you need to rid a frigate, you got to rid yourself of fighters. Its costly and delaying on everyone’s side. WWII had some crazy kamakzi effects too, just for reference here. As far as scuttle range… er, don’t change it. If the range increases upon death or scuttle damage, one risks losing a ton of fighters. I got curious, and you can interceptor domino in a right if this gets tweaked the wrong way. It is hilarious, but watching every players fighters catch the explosive death fever and share it probably will throw things off online.

The targeting missiles is a very easy implementation. Take the line from the taiidan defense fighter, and give it to all ships. In v1.3, most ships could shoot at missiles, though success was very rare except with mass defenders. Again, its not going to be massively effective especially since ballistics are added, but when in desperation the option should be there. I can’t see why my fleet of everything should just watch two leftover missiles from a destroyer or cruiser hit and take away the last inch of an allies health. Even if nothing hits the missiles, it adds to the depth of the game. That’s what I meant by “all ships with all innate weapons”.

I do welcome debate and counter-arguments on this, as it was not an original feature by memory. But hey, since we are adding a ton of non-original mechanics (that are welcomed additions!), might as well look into this one too. The more feedback and communication from the community here, the better.

1 Like

Hmmm, that’s interesting. Perhaps I am missing information here.

Sounds like a joke punch line, but how many fighters does it take to kamikaze a frigate?[quote=“CryCoh, post:1, topic:1540994”]
I can’t see why my fleet of everything should just watch two leftover missiles from a destroyer or cruiser hit and take away the last inch of an allies health. Even if nothing hits the missiles, it adds to the depth of the game. That’s what I meant by “all ships with all innate weapons”.
[/quote]

This sounds very reasonable.