Venom Mathematics, feat. Kleese and Mellka

“Okay, old man, what the hell is going on with my canisters? It’s like I’m shooting people with lime body wash.”

“Why, Mellka, hello! I must say, I’m surprised you even know what body wash is.”

“Yeah, I’ll be honest. Not here for the one-liners today. A bit pissed off. Feelin’ kinda murdery.”

“We can’t have that now, can we? At least, not until you’re safely on some battlefield and I’m several light years away. So, your canisters aren’t satisfactory, is that what you’re saying?”

“They’re supposed to kill people. They aren’t killing people. I could drink this ■■■■ and walk away smiling. Probably get a buzz off it too.”

“Recall, there have been some slight amendments to your munitions over the campaign. Perhaps we ought to start at the beginning and analyze them. Permission to log into your private account?”

“I’m not giving you my password.”

“I wasn’t asking for your password. Just for your permission. Heh heh.”

“…damn it, Kleese. How long have you had it?”

“Long enough! But don’t worry, I won’t say a word to Deande.”

“Can we just get to the part where you help me start killing people again? Because I really need to kill someone. No names, but let’s say they’re pretty close.”

“It’s me, I know, but my natural curiosity makes it impossible to turn back. Let’s see. According to your munitions data, your venom initially did 12 damage every half-second tick, for a period of 8 seconds.”

“Yeah, I remember that. Why did it stop lasting 8 seconds again?”

"Because we gave you a slightly stronger but more volatile toxin, remember? Back in July. Here, let me show you the notes on the system:

Reduced the duration of venom from 8 seconds to 4 seconds
Increased the damage of venom by 50% (12 to 18 at Level 1)"

“Yeah, that’s some kind of sneaky wording right there. It makes it look like a fair trade-off, but it actually went from 192 total damage to 144 total damage.”

“You can talk numbers too? I’m so impressed!”

“Who the frig do you think I am, Oscar Mike? I’m not stupid, Kleese. I know what you’ve been trying to do. You know, I technically am on your side.”

"And believe me, the closer you get, the more nervous I become! Now, let’s take a look at the next change log. It appears your venom was further diluted. See the notes here:

Reduced the damage of Mellka’s Venom DoT by 56% (from 18/tick to 6/tick at level 1)

Oh. Wait. That’s odd."

“What the hell? So it started at 12 a tick. It was increased by 50%, which put it to 18. Then it was reduced by 56%, and it went to six? Why did it not go almost back to where it started?”

“I don’t… I don’t actually know. This is some kind of infernal mathematics.”

“What’s next? A ‘50%’ reduction to duration that takes it down to one second? Did we just go ahead and break the universe when we blew up the Heliophage?”

"This is fascinating. So let me get this clear:

July - Increased the damage of venom by 50% (12 to 18 at Level 1).
January - Reduced the damage of Mellka’s Venom DoT by 56% (from 18/tick to 6/tick at level 1)

It’s beautiful, Mellka. A living, breathing mathematical impossibility. I’m afraid to look at it for too long, in case it tears a hole in my consciousness…"

“Just give me back my venom, Kleese.”

“Sorry, I didn’t hear that. Too busy admiring the mathematical conundrum.”

sigh. Fine, whatever. Just get to the punchline.”

“Oh, Mell. You sweet summer child. This time, you are the punchline.”

23 Likes

Whiskey chuckles to himself

Math is hard, ain’t it?

Whiskey frowns and shakes his head, disappointed in whoever thought the poison change was a good idea

Sucks about your poison though. 48 damage after ONE canister ain’t much to behold.

I could SNEEZE on someone and it’d do more damage.

3 Likes

Alani: While you’re at it, tell Kleese to stop trying to hack my nanites! The first time it did all kinds of weird stuff and, most recently, it slowed down the moisture accumulation rate for my Riptide!

Edit: One thing I will say is that the “slightly stronger but more volatile toxin” does end up providing more DPS if you reapply the DoT before the first one fades (quite possible with Mellka) because reapplying it refreshes the DoT rather than stacking. It actually broke even if you reapplied every 6 seconds and was better DPS if you reapply every 4 (which is entirely possible).

The strange thing is that the previous change (constantly apply venom to deal greater damage) doesn’t make sense with the most recent change (which seems to suggest they want Mellka to apply venom as a debuff rather than damage source and then close to melee for the kill). The two changes are at odds with one another, which makes me think that they tried to make Mellka more ranged and then decided they didn’t like it.

2 Likes

Montana : OH MAN, your venom TICKLES. SORRY BOUT THAT LITTLE LADY

1 Like

Meanwhile, Beatrix does 6 damage a tick for 4 seconds, plus Wound, and can deal it in an AoE around everything she shoots, gets Outbreak for sustained and spreading DoT + Wound, and deals more damage as well as heals more through lifesteal with her melee helix at 3 stacked on P0.

Balance!

4 Likes

I think the reason why Beatrix honestly doesn’t bother me that much when going against her is because i raided for a long time in WoW, and am really familiar with the concept of ‘hey this ally or myself has a debuff, stay away from them until it wears off’

Also just food for thought. The best Beatrix hard counter is Beatrix herself. Cleanse helix.

1 Like

Beatrix doesn’t bother me either, as the vast majority seem thrilled to run in a straight line towards me while I line up a stun mine or stand still and pew-pew. In terms of character balance, though, it’s insulting to give these tools to a new character at the same time that Mellka is robbed of them.

I didn’t expect this to still be a thing. Like Wikipedia apparently

Yep, that’s why we didn’t call it a nerf. It lost total damage and ability to keep shields down in exchange for more burstiness. Keeps her in battle more. Could’ve been worse (clearly)

Oh, that’s because they have absolutely no idea what she’s supposed to be. Dante has been the best indication so far, and that indication is that venom is supposed to make her do all of the things

Caps excepted, this actually sounds very similar to what I imagine he’d say

With what exactly? I thought her shots were a 1 second dot

For a second I thought you were a Ghalt main in a time machine haha

So. I support Mellka’s Venom now dealing no damage to Kleese and dealing x 200 damage to ISIC

Well, I think they want Mellka to be a jousting skirmisher: low damage low risk at range to apply the venom debuff and then high damage in melee (for very short periods) to deal a bunch of damage against a debuffed target before high tailing it out of there (otherwise she gon’ die). It’s what the changes seem to suggest and which makes sense for her playstyle (at least as I see it).

2 Likes

Yep. The solid information we have is metaphors and feelings which lead perfectly room what you’re saying.
Metaphor-
Nelka has a weak spear that can instakill things when cheese is applied. The spear is her melee, apparently

Feelings of Dante:
Venom is more of a catalyst for buffs to Mell than anything else (thrill of the hunt, adrenaline rush, wound, damage increase from venom, etc)

My bad, they are. 27 damage total too. Blame insomnia.

It definitely buffed Refined Canisters and Parting Gift, and it made reload gear especially nice on her (because a longer reload animation lowers her DPS between reapplications.) Just one of the many diverse build strategies and battle tactics she no longer has to be worried about!

3 Likes

Rath: sigh If they keep weakening everyone then I’m going to run out of opponents that can put up a decent fight.

3 Likes

Alani: Well, if the rest of us get weaker, it just means that there will be more Varelsi for you to take care of. Since we’re supposed to be fighting them and not each other or did you forget about that amid all of the holodeck sparring?

Keep in mind this game tends to lose players also when swinging the nerf bat

Haha, I was worried she was much much stronger than I thought. That would’ve been terrifying

That seems unfair. It tricked you into taking thrill of the Hunt a few times! Clearly more diverse

… F**k your sandcastle!

Can we give Gally a really off the wall relationship (not necessarily romantically)? Hopefully to make Alani annoyed that she’s not getting any attention from her, romantic or otherwise? Like Benedict. It makes sense because he’s the best at killing her, thus making her happier than anyone else could. There’s my proposal to explain why Alani is so weak against Benedict.

Yeah, they almost had me fooled… it’d make a decent level 2-4 helix though. :expressionless:

1 Like

I seem to bring this up a lot, but it used to be opposite Frag canister. Very interesting. Sadly, that means air stall was at seven. Eh, you win some, you lose some, you lose some more and then you lose some more and lose some more. It’s a fair cycle

Okay, yeah, I will definitely take Air Stall over having Thrill of the Hunt in its place. Ick. Ick ick ick.

The fact Air Stall is uncontested at level 3 is pretty much Mellka’s strongest feature right now. How long do you think it’ll last :disappointed:

1 Like

I still dream of a mode with no cooldowns. Pendles would be fun. Toby’s mines would need careful avoidance. Marquis and his map covering bubbles could prove difficult. Infinte Ritual of Repulsion. Oh boy, Orendi being exactly the same. Reyna being best tank. But you know who I’d play? Mellka. Because I could just air stall whenever and wherever the hell I want, just like it should be. Also it’d be fun to claw lunge everywhere. Fwoosh. Speaking of Jythri, if you wander to my lowly post, keep April fools day in mind. Just one hotfix. Ik it’s in the dev kit somewhere.

But oh yeah, air stall lasts till next patch. Doesn’t encourage her to be close range

1 Like