Versus Draft is dead

The waiting time for this mode on Xbox1 is absolutely insane. I’m starting to understand how bad the pc population must have it.

A perfectly healthy queue was just ruined by the developer’s choice after the latest patch. The introduction of quick match and bots battle have made most of the player base ignore versus draft and/or the game.

Up to this point, exactly 13 in-game friends (I kept count) have text me that they have quit the game because Incursion queue was removed. I love this game but the choices the developer’s make patch after patch keep sinking this game.

How’s the versus draft on the other platforms?

3 Likes

Last time I did a draft is ps4 I found a game less than 5 min. But that was a week ago, I’m not sure about now

1 Like

On PS4 it took about 3 minutes to find 9 other people last night. I wouldnt say its officially dead but it sure is dying and it sure is pushing people to play quick play a lot more or just quit all together.

1 Like

I can and will second that versus draft is completely dead on Xbox One. Looking for a match last night at times was grueling and I can’t figure out if the tighter ELO or the lack of players is making it take so long. Either way it appears this mode will be niche at best, sadly as it was a great place for players to try new team comps and practice for tourneys without having to set up scrims.

2 Likes

Incursion players are encouraged to play Versus Draft, especially premades, since Draft is 99% Incursion.

Solo-queue’rs or more casual players are encouraged to go into Quick Match.

Seems a lot of people wanted Bots Battles back. So they did, but they still had to manage the other queues due to population issues.

Again it’s all back to population. But tell your friends that Quick Match is still 75% Incursion and Draft is 99% Incursion.

4 Likes

You know what that means. Get a PS4 if you want to do draft mode and lose all your progress since you can’t tranfer data :wink:

1 Like

I was kind of hoping things would work out like GBX outlined, but i’m usually positively positive.
Look at it this way though, since everybody is in mostly one queue right now, the competition has gotten way better. Like, so much better. I’ve had to actually work for most of my wins rather than just phoning it in. And if you really like Incursion, it still gets picked every time it’s in the rotation, which is basically almost all the time. No idea why this is making your friends quit :thinking:

1 Like

They should’ve just made it easier for groups to set up scrimmages, maybe something like a tournament lobby where people can see who in online and set up private matches using draft mode.

On pc, the tournament minded players are choking out the population. As usual, but worse now in a way because they go into quickmode and sit there in the selection phase waiting for the other team to choose. Then they make a comp designed to ■■■■ over the randoms, usually some heavy cc meta. Against people who maybe just want to play Orendi because she’s funny. Or people working on lore or whatever.

I’ve gone through another wave of friends leaving the game–maybe 8 active players this time. And personally I’ve gone from playing a couple hours every day to popping in a few times a week.

4 Likes

I see most of the 5 man premades in quick matches, kept running into a bunch of them the past 2 days. this is on Xbox

1 Like

Yep, quick match and bots battle is where all the premades went on Xbox1. Completely the opposite of what gearbox wanted. During these past 2 days, versus draft is no longer playable unless you want to wait over half a hour to get a match with the most patient players ever!

Never had this problem and I’m on xbox one

1 Like

When was the last day and time you played Versus Draft? It was good for me up until Monday night.

Yesterday night, worse in the afternoon though

I don’t mind the Bot battles as most people that I would see diving and feeding the enemy teams seem to have moved on to the Bot battles, the wait time in draft mode is quite long but on the other hand some of the matches I’ve played there with a pug group got very negative, even after we pulled of a win, we had shall not be mentioned by name barking orders and annoyingly bashing team mates for their helix choices.

1 Like

The developers added the Bots Battle in as a regular queue because they found that the people who played it weren’t PvP players but primarily PvE players. You can’t pin the Bots Battle queue on the problems the Draft Versus queue is facing. If anything I think players are looking for an easy win. They go into Draft Versus and get stomped and so they jump back into Quick Match. Draft Versus is intended more for premade groups, but a lot of people were solo queuing the Draft queue. A lot of those people left, but so did a lot of the premade groups. The ones looking for easy wins and who found out they couldn’t do that in the Draft queue. A lot of people found out that they weren’t as good at the game as they thought they were.

1 Like

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal syndrome: if I can’t see it, it doesn’t exist.

“Freaking Casuals!” - Oscar Mike

3 Likes

This just doesn’t happen in practice. The pre-made teams can’t find a game in draft, so they also play in quick match, just like they were playing chaos rumble. There just aren’t enough people to split the q like this.

1 Like

This is exactly why the introduction of bots battle and quick match has led to the emptiness of Versus Draft. It’s only natural that most players choose to take the easiest path.

I understand that it is impossible to satisfy everyone. I would find it extremely bizarre that the devs made such choices based on the pve player base. I don’t know what sort of data they must have gathered but pvp is always what keeps a game alive (when it offers it).

I’m not trying to sound like an elitist. It’s a well known fact that the competitive pvp players keep a gama growing. Pve dies quickly or doesn’t contribute as much as pvp.

1 Like

It could be the chicken or the egg conundrum on this one. I know the competitive PC players greatly favor stacking CC and they have for a while; these are the team comps they use when they draft as well. Also, they could just be picking late so they don’t get countered. I myself have been guilty of late picking the few times my group and I have queued for Quick Match; my picks are largely based on what the team needs or what character I want to level up. Going forward I strongly suggest everyone to make their picks in the last 3 seconds to avoid purposefully getting countered.

In my opinion the change of being able to see the picks of the enemy team hurts the casual match but I understand it was made to keep some consistency in the character select between casual play and draft. This is a subject for a different topic entirely.

2 Likes