"Way of the Hunter" Borderlands art series by Klopotinsha

(Caw! Caw! ) #81

This picture in addition to its place in the novel suddenly found additional story arc.
He would probably justify what he just did by his traditional "Nothing personal"...
He-e-ey, why so silent?!
Seems he's still a bit shocked after events of Sicario.

Of course, he can't remember any of it, but recurring scenes and muted voices still haunt him in weird nightmares. Mordecai probably decided that it is due to the presence of the Ancient "Eridians" and global bouts of insanity on Pandora... and partly he's right.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

Welcome to Pandora.

(Caw! Caw! ) #82

The good old, I mean truly evil (i.e., honorable sort of evil) classic of Mordecai’s incarnations - the concentration of intergalactic wisdom and nonsense in giant corpse of an ancient sorcerer, faithfully serving for Mental’s ideas, commanding the sacred army of his master and fiercely defending the universe and its shrines, from tenacious greedy paws of horrible planetary parasites known as Humankind - the one and only …

#… Mordeсai, The Summoner!

Yeah, that’s from another game. If someone doesn’t know, Serious Sam series is… it is like… a good answer if someone on Pandora would ask: “what is Earth?”

(Caw! Caw! ) #83

By the way, considering Croteam’s passion for ancient cultures, I think through Mordecai the Summoner (keyword: Mordecai - Jewish masculine name of Persian origin comes from the name of god Marduk, means “servant of Marduk”) we can come to really quite accurate impression about who is MENTAL exactly, or how he might be called in the ancient Mesopotamia - MARDUK.

For the first time in known history character named Mordecai appears in the Tanakh (Old Testament)
Together with his cousin Esther, who became his adopted daughter, he became the savior of the Jewish people from Haman’s wiles.

By the way, i figured how Mordecai from Borderlands could become so bright… i guess i filled him with ultra-purified Argent plasma. kek

(Caw! Caw! ) #84

#Carpe diem

The song you can hear in the middle takes its origin back in XVI century.
I really like this version from album “El Último” by LOS INCAS.
“Life isn’t worth living without love”, so go the words of this Spanish “villancio” from the Conquest period.
Here are English subtitles:

It is better to exchange
pleasure for pain
than to live without love.

If you are thankful
it is sweet to die,
to live in oblivion
is not to live at all
It is better to endure
passion and pain

It is a wasted life
to live without love
it is a better living
to know how to use it
It is better to grieve
suffering pain

(Fuz) #85

Beautiful as ever.

(Ziddersroofurry) #86

Calling this ‘fan art’ doesn’t seem to do it justice. This is amazing. Truly amazing.

(Caw! Caw! ) #87

Thank you @ziddersroofurry! Saw your comment on DA :slight_smile: I’m glad you came here!

Indeed. People who called it so should feed the skags.
NO not with their dead corpses! They should rise and bake some muffins

Actually I have no idea what term “fan-art” means; this concept has not formed at all, does not have clear frames or definition and in many ways contradicts to itself, but it’s already widely used. Surely term “fan art” cannot be classified as genre of fine art because it has not based on sets of stylistic criteria, mediums and ways of performing, or any other genre signs. The only criterion that it implies is that such thing alludes to registered trade mark, so most likely in modern understanding this solely capitalistic term means: “waste products of processing registered consumer products”.

And the notion “headcanon” in case with BL:WotH is not suitable either, since it materializes outside my head and able to jump from pages and screens into heads of other people… and the official continuity was already synchronized with something of it literally… I mean geographically.
Seriously, it would be stupid and meaningless if they would have done like whatever they planned before beginning of 2015, after they have already wasted too much time and all possible patience (three times) around this dumb rotten chicken.

… and actually both versions of this moment from first episode of TftBL was edited.
In the first version of the tale the moon was too dark and with sharp outlines, which are not natural for this time of day and air density on Pandora, so it is definitely montage.
In final cut version (which is definitely a montage too, as can be seen by suspicious shape of clouds) developers have painted over the spoilers without replacement, because they received the rights to tell a tale based on true event. But the viewers don’t really need to know all the details from the beginning, so they have to assume that narrators simply haven’t mentioned such minor detail.

All this time Elpis the Moon was watching over them with this weary smirk.

I think in case with BL:WotH the most suitable term would be “spin-off”,
or to be more precise - Legends. And it’s true, all of it.

You may ask for example “Bonzo” the Chronicler who joined Vaughn’s tribe, this former Hyperion engineer was in the midst of the “Beast flood” and was miraculously saved because sincerely repented and prayed for “Nature Spirit’s” mercy while snot was flowing from his nose. Of course, his version of Legends will be very fabulous because he’s out of his mind, and good enough to instill reverent fear to other Children, generating superstitions, bizarre rituals and other lulz.

I would also like to mention, that when I was creating the illustration with Ruins of Helios, I took basic portion of inspiration from live and unwrapped version of White Ashes (different from OVO album version)
I listened it many times while I was bringing down the “Evil Tower” on Pandora over and over again on paper, calculating the trajectory of scatter of wreckage and dead bodies of innocent robots.
Taking into account the laws of physics, relatively common for the known universe, more logical option would be the one where it all turned into a huge horrible crater on the surface of the planet. But eventually I decided to make it less realistic but more symbolic (at least to make what should happen clearly visible) The picture was very dark and ominous when it just come into being, but when i came to the colouring of sketch of the final version, my thoughts have gone much further to the times of the third act, when the travellers came to this location reminding about distant past, in the context of completely different story.

Daym… translated into the language of TTG forums, crashing of the space station might sound like - planetary scale “shipping” - Heldora! Kek.

(Caw! Caw! ) #88

##Two Tribes
(from note dated 27.10.2015)

Along the Way I came across variety of communities with very opposed views on Borderlands.
I’ve met a lot of haters from groups dedicated only to specific episodic part of setting, mainly inhabited by little girls whose place in a vat of acid who haven’t even played the original game (and certainly won’t understand this joke about little girls in a vat of acid); and where is hardly to find philosophers, travelers and lovers of aesthetics.
Not disdained to get dirty I watched over their perception and mindset for a while and right from live model wrote a classy concept about tribe of savages for BL3!

In that isolated tribe, which inhabits fetid wasteland poisoned with slag, there is a legend about the horrible monster – half four-legged scythid half man with tentacles instead of hair and soulful eyes whose pertly glitter violates the darkness – bloodthirsty henchmen of terrible Eridians, whose wicked calm and friendly speech drives people mad and makes them explode in a fit of rage. He descends from the mountains at night, rapes women, steals babies and eats them with all the giblets!

Every night, trembling with fear at the high wall of plastic, sentries stand in hope of meeting the monster with volley of lead, though he no longer appears in these dull lands…

Three hundred miles to the northwest, where dense crystalline forests stretched as far as the eye could see, among high cliffs with protruding architecture elements of the ruins of ancient alien civilization, inhabit another tribe, probably descended from the archaeologists who walked through the Arch on Promethea and were considered missing for a hundred years, until they came out on Pandora. They have close trade ties with the Slab Kingdom, Children of Helios and nomads of Balls-in-a-Head cartel.
In this technologically advanced tribe of planeswalkers, wearing emerald-purple clothes, there is a legend of wise Spirit of Nature, who takes the form of tall Truxican man to talk with people, but travels in form of a large white raven, whose wings shimmer like pearlescent in the starlight; and each feather in the wing is beautiful as good, reliable as the right word, lasting as wide song, wise like a magical tale, strong as mighty heroes and bright like the great dream…

Such different perceptions have formed in two tribes about the same “phenomenon”.

By the way, I do not think he actually able to eat a human baby… he is very fastidious in this regard.
And by the way, I would not trust to screams of this sick woman, who has cut off her own face and was trying to drown stolen baby in the slag swamp to “resurrect Handsome Jack”.
Any touch of faceless creatures poisons with critical dose of slag, but they have very stupid AI.
So, Mordecai and Horse masterfully dodging escaped with the “quest item” unscathed and most likely did not even understand that this repulsive creature was a woman.

And most likely in the second tribe Talon was taken as Mordecai’s flight form… but who knows what this weirdo actually smokes while hanging out with Eridians…

(Caw! Caw! ) #89

##Guardians of the garden

I’ve carved this chubby Mordecai sculpture from coquina in 2014-2015, now he guards my grandmother’s house and eats squirrels.

(Caw! Caw! ) #90

By the way, Mordecai’s riding scythid’s name is Horse. Although in character he(Horse the scythid) is more like a very intelligent dog … and mollusk.

Horse - is not only fast and hardy mount, but also reliable assistant in battles and ranching. He’s able to execute commands, or rather consciously understands human speech (or rather, the mental impulses). But listens only to Mordecai (only with his original voice, of course), because Horse was raised by Mordecai from a tiny crawler.
If any other person would try to yell at Horse in such manner, Horse will pretend he’s a stupid cattle for a while, and then will do everything wrong, or will simply splatter mucus in a face. Because Horse such a proud.

Favorite Horse’s treats are rakk “honey” and human liver.

At sight of Moxxi, Horse usually makes a shrill whistling-farting roar, signifying “Hey Lady, I brought your spouse!”, which usually provokes laughter of the rider and shameless excuses like “I haven’t taught him this!”

If to scratch Horse’s back correctly, he begins to sing (the sound resembles a bird’s trill with elements of didgeridoo, jew’s harp and grunting)

Horse also may extract livers of those who touched the forbidden areas without special permission.

By the way, originally Mordecai’s scythid was named José, but when he grew up and transformed to four-legged runner and Mordecai took him to get acquainted with the inhabitants of Sanctuary, Kingdom of Slabs, The Great Arch, Tamaghis, Ba’dan, Yass-Waddah, Waghdas, Naufana, Ghadis, and representatives of the neighboring tribes; Someone of Volunteers mistakenly called the scythid foal - “Horse”.
And José liked a slight difference in the pronunciation of his name, as it symbolically evokes memory of ancient legends with the animals that were among the first (after dinosaurs) who tamed a human.

(Caw! Caw! ) #91

#Dissolution of Eternity
(Origins of the Wrath, or how Klopotinsha no longer going to hint politely)

scroll up volume in your headphones
use the link to pick up the nails

Let the nails impale your brain while I continue the tale about things,
which for our perception of reality are no more than fiction.

As you might noticed I am very worried because of absence of Mordecai’s Voice.
Of course 'cause he’s awesome, but there is another significant point.
You see, all the good dreams of future adventures which I told here before,
will never occur if the Good Man will turn to empty costume.
Unsophisticated consumers can admit any crap, but who gives a shiт about them when we talk about Art.
Despite the all the efforts of Jason Liebrecht, he only causes GVHD which exacerbates agonizing process.

After all, without the Void, the Light cannot exist.

And that’s what happens in worlds where Gearbox keep on behave disgracefully and make the following Borderlands story not good enough to interest Julio César Cedillo in generating some negentropy to charge the Egregor :

Mordecai hasn’t reached eternity in Jimenez or dunes of Singapore.
Having lost the Primary Soul Core Mordecai fades slowly and painfully, slipping farther and farther onto more ancient and obscure dimensions, falling apart to tiny bony magical echoes fated to wander aimlessly through time. (in this case whole Borderlands considered as WASTED, by the way)

We can recognize them as Overlord and his Wrath little ones during Trent Ranger’s marvelous adventures in ancient catacombs of “Quake”.
I call these monsters “malen’kie Mordecaichiki” because of their similarity to Mordekai the Summoner
(but technically, Mordekai the Summoner is similar to them).
In many worlds Mordecai reveals magic powers… (no matter the chicken or the egg)
But these little ones can’t remember that once they were alive. There was nothing left in them that ever made them alive; no love, no sorrow; only sharp bones and wrath that tears them from the inside; speechless and depersonalized, driven by residual instincts they punish everyone who dares to disrupt discipline of the underworld.

Does Gearbox Sign Voice Talent to Contracts or Higher them as needed?
(Caw! Caw! ) #92

-HISSSSSS! (Look at this! I found another piece of a spaceship.)

-Squeak! (It’s like Christmas!)

(Caw! Caw! ) #93

This illustration was lying for over a year on my hard drive, I planned to use it in the context of large abstruse dialogue about quantum mechanics and multiverse architectonics, where I would have come to some logical explanations about why “Eridians” need help of Humans and other creatures with time perception, and how many variations of Ultimate BADASS Mordecai’s right upper limb got stuck in singularity and why he’s in no hurry to fix it, and why the deal he offered to “Eridians” is so dangerous… Well. No risk, no tequila! Jahaha…

But eventually I decided to not disturb you with mountains of scribbling which you probably won’t even read, so I just show the picture and offer to listen to another music playlist!

By the way, Ultimate BADASS Mordecai sometimes refers to himself as “We” or “some of Us” for lulz.

And this Arch Guardian was named Anticulus (which means “against anus” in latin.)
Hey! Which of Mordecai’s minds come to this idea?!

(Desisadiablo) #94

I absolutely love your artwork and the articles/ concepts /amazing information you write for them. I always look forward to what you post next, thank you for the fantastic work you put into your posts!

(Caw! Caw! ) #95

(Caw! Caw! ) #96

#Undiscovered: Wam Bam Island
(It’s a magical place)

illustrations from the beginning of 2014 related to
"Future Reflections: The Pre-Final Epilogue to Borderlands 2 by Klopotinsha" :

###06.2 - Seagulls

Close view on creatures (presumably relatives of Stalkers) that was eating the corpse of Crawmerax’s Son. I decided not to use extra illustrations like this one, as 83.4% of the test subjects does not simply synchronize the pictures with the song and not stare at freaking seagulls for 10 minutes.
I also did not want to show again the views on which not yet ruined contemptible fascist H-station of Babylonian whore was visible to not to spoil the fun.
Silhouettes of these freaking seagulls might be seen on illustration “06 - Followed in its father’s footsteps”

###26 - i can’t remember how actually I was going to name this frame.
It has taken place after the very last illustration;
after a short silence the playlist was supposed to play one more music track

Tiny Tina found Mordecai with Talon on the beach.
Ironically, by the end of the day Mordecai was the only sober adult on the island, so Tina called him to show him the castle she built of sand and to play some campaigns in Bunkers & Badasses setting.
Talon played Proto-Hipster-Dragon and Mordecai instinctively became Badass Lich Sorcerer who mispronounces Latin proverbs.
- Asinus iacta est! Jahahahaha!!

All through the night they drew quaint maps of catacombs on the sand, played with bioluminescent waves, caught small crabworms and fried them on a stick.

And it appeared the awesomest fantasy dlc ever, because True Mordecai never was lamer and downer like stinking simulated half-measure “mordy guy” from game-numbered-2 who sounded like horribly dubbed androgynous girls with sore throat from cheap anime for indiscriminate 12 year olds!

Note from the Executor’s diary:
“Future Reflections” epilogue was created before we’ve found the solution. Only a fool wouldn’t notice the progression of the disease that Gearbox has put on Mordecai. If sounds of cheap substitute replaced his Soul Core in minds of the children, Mordecai would be gone for them.
Pale and gaunt, fearless as always though, he was just enjoying every moment of his fragile existence that was slipping like sand through fingers.

(Caw! Caw! ) #97

#BL:CDLV teaser 2

One day I realized that I never tasted taco.
However, I can clearly imagine what it’s like.
Not the taste, but the very essence.

Painted characters can afford taco.
The philosophy of taco.

This time I tease with a little piece from one page of my BL1 graphic novel
and share the songs with the smell of burnt flesh which makes me calm.

Gearbox Community Badass: Klopotinsha
(Fuz) #98

Amazing art as always. Love the colors in the second picture.

(Vault Hunter "Farming what can't be grown" ) #99

Whoa! I am now a @Klopotinsha fan. :astonished:

Mind blown!

(Caw! Caw! ) #100

Ok, you probably had read in this thread about “reincarnations” and connections.
It’s none of your business.

Multiverse is a dangerous place. We checked. There is nothing interesting, except infinite agony. All gateways must be locked for good.

I must keep on the story in the context of single linear MOST BADASS cycle of sci-fi Mordecai, no matter which continuity defilevelopers from GBX will choose for BL3.
However it doesn’t mean bitches that chronology of narrative in this thread will become less chaotic!