Welcome to the Gearbox Software Forums!

(Super Sajuuk) #61

@Kitty_Jo I wonder if Discourse actually implemented user groups and proper permissions then, because the way I hear it, there is no such thing as proper user groups or permissions and that the whole software is granting the rights itself through trust levels.

(Influencer Guy) #62

Not to worry, this is not possible on these forums. We’ve been in development with these forums for SEVERAL months now and were able to carefully craft exactly how we wanted things to work. In fact, that’s a big reason why we decided a transition to Discourse would be beneficial to us as a studio and our community.

Trust levels (at least on these forums) do not a moderator make. We have the same forums staff that we had on vB and so it shall remain. One thing you could be alluding to is the ability of the community to “hide” certain posts. This is correct, to an extent. When a post is flagged, forum staff is sent a notification and that Admin or Mod can decide how to proceed. Keep in mind too that most flags are either spam or just a community member giving us a heads up that a post needs to be moved, etc.

TL;DR: Yes, the community can self police itself, but mods/admins have final say on flags and forum staff is set by us, not the Discourse platform.

(Super Sajuuk) #63

Ahhh, that’s good to hear you’ve written a script that bypasses Discourse’s own system of granting rights. I know that over on the Meta Discourse forums, people were writing bots to basically get moderator rights because the software controlled them through trust levels.

My concerns are allayed then! I won’t probably be contributing much, but if I do, probably in the Homeworld areas :slight_smile:

(Influencer Guy) #64

Either way, it’s great to have you around! Don’t be a stranger!

(Azarealius) #65

Users at trust level 4 can…

edit all posts
pin/unpin topic
close topic
archive topic
make topic unlisted
Split and merge topics

You’re probably thinking of Trust Level 4. The auto-promote part of that is still on Discourse’s Roadmap, I believe.
Trust Level 3 by default has the power to rename and move topics, and it’s usually covered by the auto-promotion system. Not sure if they’ve changed that here though.

Admins can manually set any trust level.

(Jeff Atwood) #66

Yes, this is correct, TL3 basically means recategorize and retitle, as well as a few other things (spam headshots, one flag on spam makes it hide, etc).

There is no automatic promotion to trust level 4 at this time, anywhere, it does not exist.

(President of Jellybeans) #68

Hey @joekgbx, I’m trying to implement a page jump in the giant OP of one of my topics, to cut scrolling time, but my current anchor method seems to have fallen flat as the links stop working after the first click. Could you possibly point me in the direction of a workaround?

Thanks in advance :smile:

(Influencer Guy) #69

So like an anchor in the OP of your thread? Am I understanding correctly?

(President of Jellybeans) #70

Yessir , the jumps seem to work the first use on any given visit, but seem to fail on subsequent uses in the same visit.

(Influencer Guy) #71

Ok, unless I’m misunderstanding somehow, I’m not entirely sure traditional anchors are supported by Discourse, per the Meta link below:

@codinghorror: can you confirm, or am I misunderstanding? Thx!

(President of Jellybeans) #72

So I guess I’ll have to stick to my almost working anchors? To better demonstrate the current fuctionality i’ve brought this

(Influencer Guy) #73

FWIW, the guide looks fantastic! Well done!

(President of Jellybeans) #74

aww shucks :blush:

(Jeff Atwood) #75

We do want to support anchors, it has been proposed a few times. We haven’t built that support in quite yet though!

(Influencer Guy) #76

I think I would be very useful, especially in cases like these (guides, etc.)!

(Shure) #77

Apologies if this is in the wrong place but I can’t seem to find a technical feedback thread.

Why do my replies to individuals sometimes not show up as replies (i.e. there is no link)? I definitely click on the individual reply button, not the general one.

(Watcher on the wall) #78

The user you are repying to will get a notification that you did even if you don’t see anything. Usually there is a marker in the top right on comments showing the user you are replying to.
Clicking it will bring you to their comment.
Unless your reply is right after theres. In which case, there is no top right marker. Rest assured, they will still be notified of your reply.

To get the text you are replying to to show up in your comment however, you will need to highlight the text you want to quote first, then hit reply. It will show up as a quote in your comment then.

(Shure) #79

Ah, must be because my replies are right after, then.

Many thanks!

(Berserker) #80

I don’t know what type of update you guys did to the forum, but I can finally see all the icons again for the first time in months. Awesome stuff. :thumbsup:

(Seminole) #82

What is this forum software called? I would like to use this for my website.