Were games more fun before social media?

Is it just me that thinks this, there are so many classic games that i have played long before online gaming became a thing and long before the days of YouTube or Facebook Twitter Twitch and every game site forums like Reddit.

In the old days the game you received was the final version as there was no way for developers to patch it or nerf it. Also back then you didn’t have thousands of money grabbing streamers leaking away all the fantastic glitches or cheats you could find just to grab a few thousand views and leech a bit more advertising revenue.

I miss the days when the game you got was the final product and all your mates either loved it or hated it but thats where it ended, you did not have months of reviews and complaints or developers taking away the things you enjoyed because some you-tube streamers wanted to keep their in-game bragging rights and make sure no one else got the same perks they have.

Im probably just showing my age but my first dial up internet connection was the day when gaming took a turn for the better with online but worse for all the complaints and nerfs and unfinished products.

4 Likes

Back in the day Nintendo power published all the secrets and cheats.

Also Games were so simple, 12 people made super Mario world for the SNES. 12, and it still sold for about the same price as bl3 did today.

3 Likes

“Get the power nintendo power”,we were just more intimate and we apreciated games more because it was kinda rare to buy a game.Kinda like now a lot of them were kinda bad.The social media factor is the nintendo power.And its our will if we wanna read it or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not social media. It’s the culture shift of instant gratification, short attention spans, and DLC content.

People want to be end game fully maxed after 10 hours of game play and developers have shifted from creating lasting games to creating cash pumps with no longevity.

7 Likes

You know, i’ve wondered the same thing. I come from atari on up, and man have times changed!

1 Like

Well said. I read about how players get through the game in 10 hours and I wonder why and how. I have many more hours than that in the game and I am just now about 1/2 way through. I enjoy looking at all the surroundings and enjoying the creativity in the scenery, buildings and structures. Talking to the NPC’s can be funny and entertaining. Just to constantly “shoot em up” is not my thing. I feel that once you are through the game that you loose a little playing it a second time knowing what to expect. I try to do as many side missions that I can for the same reason. It does level up the main mission considerably when you do the side missions.
Just a note to say, I am in my late 60s and fairly new to gaming. I got involved over the last 7 years to spend playing time with my grandkids that range from 8 years to 32 years old. They sometimes find it entertaining watching this “old man” trying to make the controller do what comes naturally with them.

1 Like

I try to avoid all the hype. Lots of people like to complain about stupid things, and if you read enough of it you end up getting subconciously effected by it. I didnt find the characters as annoying as every streamer/reviewer makes them out to be. Only thing I really had an issue with is Crimson Raiders turning into a girls only club. This woke SH**E is doing my nut in, how come every npc seems to be homosexual? And the ending credits? That didnt seem very borderlands to me…

3 Likes

Yup…games were better in the 90s…if you wanted to cheat you’d jus buy a gameshark and cheat your games all you want. If you didn’t want to cheat but still wanted a bit of help you could go read on gamefaqs a few walkthroughs.

Wonder what borderlands wouldve been like on the snes/ps1…

1 Like

I think is best to take the vast majority of anything you see on the internet in general, and ‘social media’ specifically, with a large ‘catering sized’ sack of salt.

1 Like

It also had very expensive hardware costs in the carts. People tend to forget that.

When Sony launched the PlayStation not only did the material costs drop for third parties, but they significantly lower the royalties they got also.

Sony sold their first party games at 40 dollars while third party games came in at 50.

N64 games usually came in between 60 & 70 because not only were there cart costs, the royalties were also higher.

1 Like

I largely think its made them better.

I have made countless friends from social media. I wouldn’t know 100’s of people that are amazing people without it. I would be stuck with a my friends that I know that live in close proximity to me.

I don’t have a lot of “real life friends” for a lack of a better term that play borderlands and the ones that do play it for a month and move on.

I know a ton of people that I met online from places like this, facebook, twitch, etc… that not only I can play with but that I just like talking to in general. I have now met some of these people in person.

That is an amazing thing that makes things better.

1 Like

damn homosexuals, ruining the fun of a video game by uhhhhhhhhh being gay

I’ve actually met a ton of cool people through social media, the difference of the last 30 years is that we’re far more instantly connected and social media has provided some level of an outlet to connect through various interests and friendships and so on. The patches and changes become a far more personal ordeal because it used to be you could ship a game out that had to be 95% perfect or else you’d have a completely botched order. Now you can make adjustments on the fly, provide bonuses for loyal players, it’s a whole ordeal upon itself that lets people and the devs work collaboratively to make a better game. I actually went to PAX Boston this year and hung out through the day with a buddy I had never met before, bought the ticket on his suggestion while I was living in the Grand Canyon Village.

1 Like

And let’s not forget that even a simpler game like its ancestor Super Mario Bros on the NES had a few bugs. Back then we were stuck with them and our gripes didn’t get magnified in an echo chamber of negativity until they were the end of the world and the game was horrible.

Of course, that was the more mainstream console gaming. On PC there was online games like LotRD and Cripple Smash, and message boards on BBS where people complained about them and the latest shareware.

Lest I seem too harsh on t’internet, the bits of it that are good, are very very good.

Like you guys. Stuff like that.

1 Like

I’d like to change the question a little and sayt that I think games had more mystery and exploration before the Internet. Nowadays everything is available on the internet. Spoilers, guides, what to find where and what’s best etc. In the past, you’d just play the game and see what you’d discover for yourself.

I still like to play that way, avoiding spoilers and stuff, but my friends don’t.

Gotta say you still have some of the best quotable statements around. I think I still have one of them on my old account.

1 Like

Why…thank you.

Lol I’m in a reminiscent mood. It involved the spraying of rage juice on a new blood. I’m almost positive it was around the time we were waiting on Robolution to drop.

Games might have had more mystery to them, but also getting stuck meant you either threw the game down a hole or your spent 100 hours looking for the right .txt file guide that someone mirrored on Filefront that one time in 2004 that actually gave a walkthrough of the apparently impossible section you couldn’t get past.

The online aspect brings more positives than negatives, I feel. Any nerfs you might feel are unnecessary also come with buffs that you never would’ve gotten, which meant you’d have played the game once or twice before putting it down forever.

Is that good for some games? Yeah, some games are designed for a single run-through (every once in a while). But others aren’t, and Borderlands has always been designed for multiple runs. Encouraging player experimentation and making all builds decently-viable is a core part of that, and indeed something people complained about a lack of during BL1 and BL2.

Yeah, pretty proud of that, now you mention it.