What are you reading right now?

In lieu of the “what music are you listening to right now” thread, I thought we could have a thread to share books that you found interesting.

Having just picked up a Kindle after Thanksgiving, I knew I just had to have the one book I could always go back to and read again and again.

That book being “Ender’s Game” by Orson Scott Card. While it is noted for being a young adults book, I like to recommend it to nearly anyone, as it dabbles in a bit of everything.

I picked that up Saturday afternoon and finished it last night. Forgot how much of a book worm I could be.

I had picked up the quintet edition of the Ender series and from the recommendation of the intro, am starting to get into “Ender in Exile”.

Koushun Takami’s Battle Royale. Love this book, love the movie. Also picking through the 100 Bullets graphic novels. The fifth book is absolute genius

1 Like

I have been a long time lover of Orson Scott Card and while Ender’s game was a young adult book, the series evolves brilliantly into being about morale dilemma’s centered around the discovery of new species. There is also the shadow series the retells the original story, but through Bean’s eyes instead. It then evolves into more of a military centered series following the sadly short life of Bean. He also has another series about colonial America with a little bit of fantasy mixed in. It’s been a while since I read it, but there are some compilations that have the Hatrack river in the title (I think, it’s been awhile). Also there was a pretty sweet homebound series as well that is another inter-planetary fantasy series. If you like sci-fi fantasy, Card is very much a prolific writer from the genre.

Right now I am starting to read the dragon age books, because I want more dragon age lore and haven’t had a chance to get inquisition yet.

I’ve been busy reading the Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (It’s the anthology of the series). I’m absolutely loving it, because it’s just so ridiculous. I definitely recommend it.

1 Like

I’ve been rereading the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I’m currently on #6, Lord of Chaos. It is by far my favorite series that I’ve read; I would definitely recommend them to any fantasy fans.

@Omega59

Great series! If you haven’t I’d definitely check out the Dirk Gently series by Adams as well. An Author that passed to soon!

@oyarsa

I’ve never heard of it, but I am a fantasy fan so I’ll have to check it out. I would suggest you check out the Alera series by Jim Butcher. That series was amazing and the world inside the book drew me in fast and stayed amazing throughout the books.

@thefaceofboe
I’ll definitely check out Dirk Gently after I’m done with the Hitchhiker’s Guide. I’m really loving Douglas Adams’ writing style, so I’ll probably check out everything that he’s written, eventually. A brilliant author, in my opinion.

Brilliant and amazing! There’s a book called “The Salmon of Doubt” That is a mixture of non-fiction writings and the first bit of the Gently book he was writing that was pulled off his computer after his untimely death. It really highlights his amazing writing style as well as his philanthropic work with Save the Rhinos. He even worked a few episodes of the original Doctor Who series!

@thefaceofboe
Interesting. Do you know which specific episodes of Doctor Who that Adams worked on? I’m sort of curious, since I only got into Doctor Who just recently (About two months ago), and I really regret not getting into it sooner. I just need to watch everything from before Eccleston, but otherwise I’m pretty caught up.

“The Pirate Planet”, “City of Death”

There are other episodes that weren’t aired or novelized and he was an editor for the show for a time period. When I was growing up, my friends dad had a whole bunch of VHS tapes that he filled with doctor who serials. Cheesy special effects where huge at the time and I loved watching them. Unfortunately there are episodes that are missing (all copies have been destroyed lost through the years) so you porbably won’t find every episode, but it was a long running series even before they rebooted it!

I know that it’s been around for ages (Sort of one of the appeals to me, I love old special effects). It’s a shame that some episodes are completely missing, though, as I really want to start watching the earlier episodes. I suppose I’ll have to settle for what I can find.

These forums.

:wink:

Haven’t done much reading of late. Was getting back into the Bartimaeus Trilogy, but again, lacked the time to finish reading that (though I have read it before).

1 Like

I’m on book two of the “The Name of the Wind” series.

My friends love it, but I’m kind of meh to it. Still, I’ve started it, and I can’t not finish.

God god dammit dammit.

At this moment- Michael Crichton’s Congo. Next, I dunno. My (personal) library is as vast and eclectic as my tastes. I recommend the wheel of time, Robert Jordan; steelheart, brandon Sanderson; Michael Crichton’s Jurassic park; and if your not afraid of controversial topics, anything by Julie Anne peters.

Your comments.

Do what now?

Thread asked what I was reading and Im reading the comments of this thread.
Joke Success!

Joke gets 4/10

I’m currently reading Bangkok 8 by John Burdett… jury is still out on it but its so far good enough to keep me reading.

@omega59 I’d also reccomend “And Another Thing” (if you haven’t read it yet) which is a continuation of The Guide but written by Eoin Colfer. I didn’t think it would be good, but I really enjoyed it.

@Lethal_Sting Orson Scott Card was a favorite of an old friend who died - he was notorious on related forums. Not to be a huge buzzkill or anything, but always makes me think of him. I never actually read anything by him, because the other recommendation he made to me, I found that I enjoyed him telling me the story more than reading it.

i can make suggestions on just about any subject. sherrilyn kenyons “chronicles of nick” or pittacus lore’s lorien legacies. the pendragon series. splinter cell books kick the games asses. or anything tom clancy(RIP), anything by eoin colfer (supernaturalist, artemis fowl) or rick riordan (percy jackson) jonathan maberry’s benny imura series(zombies) the original dragonlance books, rick yancy’s monstrumologist books are intense, DM Cornish’s foundling tale series is so above and beyond its insane. the left behind series is really good too.