What are you reading right now?

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW) #743

In case i haven’t said it before, I’m a huge fan of Neal Shusterman. Just finished book 2 of his new series “Arc of the Scythe”" Go read this series. Right now.

SX330_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200

(band) #744

One of the Witcher books, the second short story collection, Sword of Destiny. Last time I read this it wasn’t released in English over here so I read it online. I remember an upcoming story getting me very excited but I’ll need to jump back to a story in The Last Wish before I get to it.

I dunno if it’s a symptom of me not reading a book for so long, but damn is this cracking me up. Geralt is one dour comedian of a soul, he’s gotta stop thinking the way he does or people will start giving me looks in the store.

Geralt, overcoming his embarrassment, virtually forced his way to the table. An elderly gentleman, smelling strongly of vinegar, moved aside surprisingly courteously and willingly, almost knocking off several guests sitting alongside him. Geralt got down to eating without delay and in a flash had cleared the only dish he could reach. The gentleman smelling of vinegar passed him another. In gratitude, the Witcher listened attentively to the elderly gentleman’s long tirade concerning the present times and the youth of today. The elderly gentleman stubbornly described sexual freedom as ‘laxity’, so Geralt had some difficulty keeping a straight face.

‘… abomination, shame and disgrace,’ the elderly gentleman smelling of vinegar continued. ‘One enormous laxity, sir.’
‘Indeed,’ Geralt nodded tentatively, wiping his plate with a hunk of bread.

I didn’t know I’d be laughing at poop jokes still, but I can’t say I feel bad about it. Pretty refreshed, all things told.

(Benedict's Glorious Wingspan) #745

The%204%20Percent%20Universe

If nothing else, I’ve learned what the terms “blue shift” and “red shift” mean so far.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW) #746

Rereading one of the best books of the century.
The Golden Compass.

(First-Sword of the Moderators | Discord Hypesquad) #747

I just finished The Stone Sky by N.K.Jemisin.

Following that I started on Mortal Engines. I doubt I’ll get the whole thing done by the time I go to the cinema tonight (no more cheap tuesday showings of it probably, since Christmas and New Year is full price for some reason) but I should get far enough through to have formed a full opinion of what I expect from the movie rather than have the movie influence my view of the book.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW) #748

im scared to read jemisin. I read her first book and, well, it bored me with how incredibly predictable is was.

(band) #749

I’m sorta curious on how the Mortal Engines work out. A long time ago my librarian aunt suggested them to me and I never checked them out. I saw the movie is coming out, and that looks pretty meh, now I’m just curious how the original is.

(Guajiro Pandoreño) #750

American Gods… seems to have some hype (recommended by my dad). I’m only like 20 pages in.

(Focused for Success in a Distracted World) #751

I recall it being rather good. I think you’d enjoy it. Apparently the movie fails utterly, which is a shame.

That book is quite good. Stay clear of the TV show though - it really crapped on the feel of the novel.

(band) #752

I mean they all do, as it seems. My general rule of enjoying an adaption and its source is to watch the movie and then read the adaption. As long as the movie has its qualities I’ll be able to bring those to mind instead of focusing on what is missing. If I read a book first I can’t watch the film without thinking of the book, and if you’re not paying attention to the film then it’ll never be able to stand up for you anyways.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW) #753

welp. guess i have to read those now. Since I’m a huge steampunk fan. I enjoyed worldshaker, and Scott Westerfeld’s “Leviathan” trilogy is one of my favorite series of all time, being a steampunk. alt history with genetically created creatures, cross dressing, behemoths, etc.

(Focused for Success in a Distracted World) #754

Just started Deadeye Dick from Kurt Vonnegut.
Page 1 :

To the as-yet-unborn, to all the innocent wisps of undifferentiated nothingness : Watch out for life.
I have caught life. I have come down with life. I was a wisp of undifferentiated nothingness, and then a little peephole opened quite suddenly. Light and sound poured in. Voices began to describe me and my surroundings. Nothing they said could be appealed. They said I was a boy named Rudolph Waltz, and that was that…

I’m in!

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW) #755

Reminds me of hitchhikers guide’s opening.

(This thread is my thread, this thread is your thread.) #756

Anyone else read the Looking Glass Wars Trilogy by Frank Beddor? Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass are long time favorites of mine, and the version Beddor built was very enjoyable to me.

Just started Nightflyers and Other Stories and finished the titular novella yesterday. This is my first foray into George RR Martin. Enjoyed Nightflyers on SyFy and wanted to see the differences for myself. Not the same (never are, right?), but after finishing the story I’m still pleased with the show. I definitely think that they create similar ambience with different techniques.

(As an aside, I think sci-fi is my favorite genre for digital reading.)

(This thread is my thread, this thread is your thread.) #757

Finished Nightflyers and Other Stories yesterday. The stories were good, but they felt a little predictable. I would probably recommend it with that caveat, and would probably reread.
Got a Warren Ellis novella, Normal, for Christmas. Read that yesterday. That was great (full disclosure, something of a fanboy. Transmetropolitan and Crooked Little Vein being favorites). A little One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest and a dash of detective story. Also got the Fight Club 2 graphic novel, so will be starting a reread of Fight Club before I undertake that.

(Focused for Success in a Distracted World) #758

i’m just about to finish off that Kurt Vonnegut book (Deadeye Dick) which is wrapping up wonderfully. I’ve got Sunset Park by Paul Auster lined up next.

This might get derailed because my brother lent me the compiled The Incal by Moebius and Jodorowsky.

I’m so psyched.

(You know... Ireland.) #759

Do books by moebius ever end?

(Morality Shaming Survivor ) #760

You know, its funny you mention that. I’ve heard from the author that there’s a hand gesture that goes with their readings. First you give me your wrist - yes, like that - then with my other hand

slaps wrist

No. Stop that.

Baaaaaad Hattie.

(You know... Ireland.) #761

(Is this thing on?) #762

I don’t know, but they are cunningly printed so that you can read both sides of the page at the same time! :stuck_out_tongue: