What are you reading right now?

This could go in a couple off-topic areas but thought it might work best here. It’s a passage from Andre Aciman’s Find Me, his follow-up to Call Me by Your Name. A couple of the lines could use context from the novel, and I’m not sure I necessarily agree with it 100%, but I think it’s a generally interesting thought on its own.

Music doesn’t give answers to questions I don’t know how to ask. It doesn’t tell me what I want. It reminds me that I may still be in love, though I’m no longer sure I know what that means, being in love. I think about people all the time, yet I’ve hurt many more than I’ve cared for. I can’t even tell what I feel, though feel something I still do, even if it’s more like a sense of absence and loss, maybe even failure, numbness, or total unknowing. I was sure of myself once, I thought I knew things, knew myself, and people loved that I reached out to touch them when I blustered into their lives and didn’t even ask or doubt that I mightn’t be welcome. Music reminds me of what my life should have been. But it doesn’t change me.

Perhaps, says the genius, music doesn’t change us that much, nor does great art change us. Instead, it reminds us of who, despite all our claims or denials, we’ve always known we were and are destined to remain. It reminds us of the mileposts we’ve buried and hidden and then lost, of the people and things that mattered despite our lies, despite the years. Music is no more than the sound of our regrets put to a cadence that stirs the illusion of pleasure and hope. It’s the surest reminder that we’re here for a very short while and that we’ve neglected or cheated or, worse yet, failed to live our lives. Music is the unlived life. You’ve lived the wrong life, my friend, and almost defaced the one you were given to live.

2 Likes

I’m fairly far through my first read of the year, Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder 1).

Got to admit Mad Ben Styke is one crazy fellow. Bloody impressive too, he shot up my favourite Powder Mage universe characters pretty fast.
I don’t know where he is, but he’s certainly up there with Taniel, Bo, Tamas, Vlora and Ka-poel.

2 Likes

Parallel reading Christopher Hitchens’ God is not great

2 Likes

So i had $15 of credit for the Amazon Kindle book store and decided to get something (since the credits would have expired in 2 days). I ended up getting IT by Stephen King and The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker.

I had the first Harry Potter book, but didnt know that it was only available as long as I had Prime :man_shrugging:

so i’ll start reading one in the coming days

1 Like

Book 1 is done. Moving onto Wrath of Empire tomorrow (or maybe tonight when I get home).

Next up:

51LM2P5fyUL

1 Like

With a cover compliment from Warren Ellis to boot. Assuming it doesn’t suffer from the removal of its context that is some high praise.

1 Like

2 Likes

A little grim, but quite well-written.

1 Like

It’s compulsive, and I’m sorry, but any mention of Orwell’s 1984 requires I ask if you are aware of We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. It predates 1984 by a significant amount of time and has many of the same concepts in place that Orwell used.

4 Likes

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski.

I have Sword of Destiny with me as well, since I’m working through The Last Wish (the short story, not the book) now and only have the last chapter of The Voice of Reason left after that.

Decided I need to read these sooner rather than later so I can watch the Netflix show, since it seems to have been done well if the rambling praises are anything to go off.

2 Likes

Parallel reading:

38485991.UY500_SS500

3 Likes

Ironically that author’s name looks fake :joy:

3 Likes

Well, there’s a story behind it, but it’s quite short. Actually, it’s part of a trilogy…

4 Likes

Well, this is a little too real:

Book excerpt from Cory Doctorow. We are so close to being there (having just read about the latest set of internet-connected fitbit style gadgets to go dark and become paperweights)

5 Likes

It’s obviously a family novella…

That Doctorow book sounds quite interesting, by the way.

Reading atm:
61eFnu-hwDL

2 Likes

re: The Illuminae Files - I downloaded the first book years ago but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Recommended, I’m assuming?

Reading this at the moment; will probably be at it the next month or two as it’s quite a thick volume and I’ve limited time. Hollinghurst’s writing is lovely though.

2 Likes

Love that book. It did provoke brief family tensions when I gave it to my grandma… she was a keen reader and generally an unblushing one but the gay sex was too much for her it seems, she refused to finish it.

The BBC turned it into a pretty effective TV series a while back. Dan Stevens was Nick, which partially redeems him for his later work, lol.

2 Likes

They’re alright. It’s a little too Young Adult for my tastes (and let’s face it, my age :wink:). The book is well done and I really like the author’s Nevernight series, so I gave the last one a chance.

Let’s say it’s a qualified recommendation.

Parallel reading: Bill Bryson’s At Home

2 Likes

Gotcha, YA isn’t my jam either. With this in mind I’ll give it a tentative try at some point. Thank you!

1 Like