What are you reading right now?

@Jefe brought this to my attention a while ago. Finally it’s been delivered :smirk_cat:

3 Likes

:drooling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve got a lot of books shunted directly to shelves after I bought them, picked up an old book on sign language today, might finally give it a try and learn how to sign.

and this is super old but like the OP said, I love ender’s game.

Doing my Re-Read of The Wheel of Osheim to finish up “The Red Queens War” again.

I think I’m going to try Lawrence’s dnd related fair afterwards. After that I really need to get the lead out of my ass and re-read the Red Sister books so I can finaly read the last book in that trilogy.

1 Like

Ring world by Larry Niven, it’s an old sci-fi novel from 1970 and for anyone into sci-fi this book is a must read, it’s a future of humanity with other species and they discover a ringworld type ship that is travelling thru their system so they send a crew to it to find out what’s going on on it, A Ringworld (or Niven Ring) is an artificial ring encircling a star, rotating faster than orbital velocity to create artificial gravity on its inner surface, many different unseen species live in the ring world, but it’s been drifting with no direction for eons and the species in it have gone borderline feral.

This novel is actually where the Halo rings idea came from, love this book

3 Likes

Finished Piranesi. After a slow start I finally couldn’t put it down. It differs from Jonathan Strange in style, but it’s just as good. I guess @paulothead and @Jefe might find a look at the book worth their time.

Reading now:

Just for the sheer beauty of it.

5 Likes

Reading through a collection of Lovecraft stories. Well, cherry-picking through it, keeping to old favourites and reading this on the side:

3 Likes

Just finished rereading this:

Picked it up again, thanks to @jefe s recent remarks.

Edit:
Next up,

4 Likes

“One doesn’t see exactly where or how to move. Believe me, this is true. Each act, each occasion, is worse than the last, but only a little worse… You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join with you in resisting somehow…

But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That’s the difficulty. If the last and worst act of the whole regime had come immediately after the first and smallest, thousands, yes, millions would have been sufficiently shocked … But of course this isn’t the way it happens. In between comes all the hundreds of little steps, some of them imperceptible, each of them preparing you not to be shocked by the next…

And one day, too late, your principles, if you were ever sensible of them, all rush in upon you. The burden of self-deception has grown too heavy, and some minor incident. . . collapses it all at once, and you see that everything – everything – has changed…Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves; when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed…” (They Thought They Were Free, Milton Mayer)

2 Likes

1930’s pulp reprints baby! This writer’s prose is less than stellar to be honest.

3 Likes

Parallel reading China Mieville’s Three Moments Of An Explosion, a short story collection.

3 Likes

Finally got this going after several months sitting on my nightstand. I last read it when I was in junior high school - maybe 30 years ago? - so it will be interesting revisiting the stories and seeing which ones I still remember. Not that I needed another dose of horror in my life when I could just turn on the news, but here we are. :neutral_face:

Otherwise I’ve been sifting through a couple boxes of old DC comic books that I want to get rid of before we move in a few months. Lots of ‘70s & ‘80s Justice League, All-Star Squadron and Infinity Inc. books. Definitely a stroll down [childhood] memory lane.

4 Likes