What are you reading right now?

Guys! GUYS!!! Check THIS out!

Tres excite. I think you know Hawley is my favourite TV writer and I can’t wait to see what he does to a novel.

4 Likes

It’s been a minute, hasn’t it? I just reacquired a book I lost in the great conflagration, by a man I suspect most of you know to be one of my favorite authors: Kurt Vonnegut.

A series of bits he wrote for NY public radio in which he has near death experiences aided by Dr Death himself and interviews folks who have passed on. A short and quick read I find very pleasant to revisit, it’s an interesting premise to be implemented by a man who was very famously a humanist. Somehow both light reading and philosophically engaging, I enjoyed it on the umpteenth read as much as I did the first.

Also, the foreword by Neil Gaiman was a nice way to start.

1 Like

I’m on holiday for a few days, which translates to no gaming and more reading :wink:

Since starting my vacation I finished Flesh And Steel by Guy Haley, a noir-ish novel starring an Adeptus Mechanicus and a detective and Feet Of Clay by Terry Pratchett, one of my all-time favourite discworld novels (this time the original version).

Currently reading Ciaphas Cain: Defender Of The Empire a slightly trashy but funny Warhammer Omnibus and The Precipice, a series of interviews with Noam Chomsky ranging from 2016 to 2021. Don’t ask how the last two fit together :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Tentatively starting a book I found in a community “library” (we have these take-a-book-leave-a-book stands around the region).

Tentative? But why?
Because 6 pages of praise, NYT notable book of the year, and a Man Booker prize is why.
Because the cynic in me sees payoffs and an overly aggressive marketing strategy to compensate for a mediocre story.

But maybe. Just maybe.

2 Likes

Enough non-fiction for the moment…
Up next:

2 Likes

Went through it in a single day (mostly by reading into the night). Quite entertaining book.

If I mentioned that I had enough of non-fiction for the moment, that situation has changed after visiting a bookstore yesterday. :grin:

Next up:

4 Likes

Recently I watched The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. It turned out that this film is based on a series of books by Douglas Adams. A really interesting book for fantasy lovers.

1 Like

It started out as a radio broadcast, became books, then a BBC TV series, and eventually a movie. I believe there was also a record album version and a stage play in there somewhere as well. It is a bit of a classic.

If you enjoyed that, you might also want to check out his Dirk Gently series (starting with Dirk Gently’s Detective Agency, then The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul iirc).

3 Likes

You do recall correctly, and they’re 2 of my favorite books. The first line of Dirk Gently is possibly my favorite first line ever: “High on a rocky promontory, an electric monk sat on a bored horse.” Fantastic books.

3 Likes

Regarding my last post regarding cynicism and abnormally superlative praise for mediocrity : my cynicism has been well rewarded. A thoroughly ok book by a thoroughly passable writer.

3 Likes

That’s, disappointing. I always hope praise is earned, but am not surprised given the amount of gatekeeping and bullshittery that surrounds publishing.

I’m currently reading a book I won in a Twitter giveaway a little over a year ago.

Norse inspired fantasy that has been referred to as “Vikings in space.” It’s self published, but so far there are no glaring issues that would suggest it. I’m enjoying it, but suspect that if I was either a dedicated genre reader or specifically interested in Norse stuff I might be more enthralled than I am. It does seem to be running a world similarly built to the Necromonger/Catholic colonialism thing seen in the Chronicles of Riddick. I’ll give a fuller response se when I turn the last page and before I hit book 2 (which I also won back then).

2 Likes

wow!

Hi all, been quite awhile.

When it comes to what I’ve been reading, I suppose I’m still finishing up Dune, with its appendices and all. By the time I saw the film I was only a few pages away from where part 1 ended. Can’t say I’m looking forward to part 2 at all, anything I felt that made Dune unique was hardly in the adaptation. It really feels like a book by the concepts, for the concepts, and the movie forgoes half of that to develop the book’s weakest part, the emotional connection to the characters. I dunno, I feel like a bit of a git for disliking the new movie since everybody seemed to enjoy it, but it just didn’t deliver for me.

Since then I’ve read Karen MacInerney’s paranormal romance On the Prowl, which has me wishing I had just reread some of Patricia Brigg’s stuff.

A friend lent me Frank Miller’s Dark Knight Returns and a customer traded me for Brent Week’s… ahhhhh… yeah, the first Night Angel book. If I was responsible I’d read those next.

4 Likes

Huh? And you should!

Wait a minute, that wasn’t what I meant, I was going for uplifting. Let’s try again:

No need to feel like a git just because you’re severely lacking in taste.

No, that wasn’t really better, was it? Just a second, scanning for better reply:

I find your lack of faith in the movie disturbing…

Argh, even worse! Wrong franchise! Activating dead languages! That’ll work for sure!

Si vis pacem, para bellum. Uhm, no.
Aurum est potestas! Wrong again
Contra vim mortis non est medicamen in hortis No, dammit! Oh, right:
De gustibus non est disputandum! Yes!

The movie was the best Dune adaption I saw yet, but there’s still some room for improvement.

Currently reading:
There Is No Antimemetics Division by qntm. Slightly weird stuff, but entertaining it is.

3 Likes

Flann O’Brien for the win

Has At Swim Two Birds which I won’t likely read again but has the Third Policeman which is one of my all time favourite stories, so will re-read for sure, and a few others I haven’t read.

The Luminaries got the toilet.

2 Likes

Finished the Antimemetics Division. Another proof that a good idea not a good book doth make…

Up next:

2 Likes

I’m reading How Gods are Made by Daniel Clausen. This curiosity was always in me and now I’ve channelized to invest time in it. I am planning to read scriptures of major religions soon, and this book does lay a decent foundation for it.
Also, I’ve ventured a bit into SF and have started with Daniel Keyes’ Flowers for Algenon - halfway through and loving it so far.

3 Likes