What did you do in BL1 during your most recent session?

Someone’s actually done something like that. It seems a bit finicky, but it does apparently work.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I don’t really know why I didn’t get the notification when that thread first started, I thought I had it set that way.

Whats finicky mean?

It means you have to get the somewhat complicated setup procedure just right.

1 Like

Hit level 69 doing side missions in Robolution after the fact and got my first Butcher somewhere along the way and my second Orion in a week after having not seen one in years. Lots of other legendaries from Blake’s stockroom and Tartarus Chest Farming.

I forget that BL1 turrets are maybe the most lethal of all. Talk about being put through a grinder. That and the disparity between enemy Launcher damage output and VH Launcher damage output is forever humbling.

5 Likes

That’s why tanking doesn’t really work. All the characters are glass cannons, essentially, compared to the hit points of any big enemy

3 Likes

At first, I wanted to disagree with your comment that tanking does not work. After thinking a little bit more, you have a point. Even with how I play, having a lot of health and shield capacity only serves to increase the room for error before safely making it to cover. Tanking in the sense of surviving continuous, sustained damage is not an option. Even a Titan Brick that loops Unbreakable has to use cover to sustain the pattern.

3 Likes

Exactly. They all can dish out alot more than they can take is what I meant .

3 Likes

By the way, this is my "Atlas only " Brick.

5 Likes

IMHO they did a good job with the turrets. I mean, they are mounted machine guns and they should hit harder than your average bandit with a white shotgun. As the others said, tanking doesn’t work but you usually have plenty of cover spots to destroy them from a distance. Or you can use your speed and agility as advantage and simply outrun them. Their turning speed is so low that you can run past them without suffering too much damage. For instance, at the beginning of the Crimson Fastness there’s no need to kill anyone. You can just run and not even your shield will be broken until you make it to a safe spot.
ezgif.com-gif-maker-1

And OT: after a little break I loaded an older savefile of an unfinished Torgue only Brick. Started this playthrough back in February with the intention to use more combat rifles. And what kind of gun did I never find, neither from the gift shop, a vendor or as world drop? You can guess it and the first Torgue combat rifle was actually the Meat Grinder, yeah…thanks game. Continued now with PT1 and killed Taylor Kobb and Rakk Hive.

4 Likes

Support machine guns (full auto, like your Tourge, …Atlas , S&S, and Vladof) don’t spawn in vendors. The only way to get a decent one early on that I’ve found is from Bruisers. The one by the underground weapon vendor in the Badlands has dropped me a couple decent low level ones

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. I use them so rarely that I’ve never noticed their absence in vendors.

1 Like

I wish i’d been more clear and connected comment about Turrets to the area in Robolution where they have you flanked from all sides and from a great enough distance where hoofing it is less effective than sniping them (Power Plant & Warehouse. There’s cover, but it’s an exercise in patience trading shots with them if you’re not healthy enough to take a salvo of rounds from them. Cause once you go down, there’s no way to get up unless you luck out with a Claptrap spawn.

2 Likes

Very true, the 3 turrets before the powerplant are the hardest. I’ve successfully ignored them with Lilith and (speed glitch) Brick, with Roland and Mordecai probably not so much. Also depends on the enemy spawns. If you get a lot Badass Hyperion soldiers you have to fight your way to the door.

3 Likes

Any barrel/body/mat 1 underleveled defiler> turrets

1 Like

That’s how I dealt with them for the most part. I used the Orion as well. And had two Lieutenants spawn.

I used to think so, but then I found the spot that makes 'em a breeze.

I’ll get a screen shot tomorrow, but I’ll describe it now;
When you’re approaching that area there are two sheet metal walls, you pass between them to progress to the hyperion troops.

The left wall has a triangle cut out on the right edge, an extended isosceles triangle with a long vertical base.
You can shoot through that cut out and hit all three turrets and they cannot hit you! Well, maybe one random round per minute.
It takes precision to aim through the slot, best with a sniper rifle, but I’ve also had success with a Stinger SMG. You can just keep firing, no need to shoot, take cover, pop out again.

When I found that firing position the turrets stopped giving me problems.

4 Likes

Here it is, I hope you can see what I mean here. Slight distance on the left, up against the firing slit on the right. The far right turret (as you face them) can hit you about once every 15 seconds, which is easy to deal with, the middle and left turret can’t hit you at all.

3 Likes

That’s where I initially sat, but the troops and Trp’s were aggroed from my initial approach. This was the second visit for the Herbs & Spices Marcus quest so the Door is open and all the enemies spawn immediately. So to widdle them down I dashed into the gated area and ducked behind the building on the stairs to flank the troops, only to be auto-aimed when I backpedaled into the right turret’s line of sight.

Ducking at that part of the gate left me open to being flanked by the troops plus the occasional salvo from that turret, and with the glass cannon factor I was in FFYL before I knew it.

I ended up mobbing my way directly under the left turret, and taking then it out from underneath while I flanked the mobs, and worked my way down the turrets, getting downed a few times as I did with no mobs to get up off of. but then I was free to cheese from that spot.

It was a rough run after not having to bother with turrets in BL for nearly a year? The save I was playing I had left off just after getting to Earl’s Junkyard, and when it was time to go to Krom’s Canyon I was in PT2 so I just fast traveled. So those two early game turret trouble spots were a non factor. The two in the Junkyard and 3 on towers. Janistown I actually think I tanked with a commando mod and crux.

2 Likes

Interesting. Sometimes a claptrap will run out at me, but in general none of the enemies in the lower area react to me shooting form that spot.

1 Like