What did you do in TPS during your most recent session?

Thought maybe I’d finally had enough Borderlands, but nope turns out it’s just BL3’s particular flavor I’m tired of. Been really enjoying picking TPS back up. Started a new Aurelia, Nisha, and Wilhelm (the last one with a laser only stipulation). Got past tvhm with Nisha. That was a load of fun, and pretty different from my original Nisha playthrough when I wasn’t quite as well versed in reading Borderlands skills.

But then came uvhm. The problem isn’t the difficulty, it’s that xp gain plummets. Not sure what Gearbox was thinking, this is just too slow. It’s an awful way to “extend” playtime (scare quotes 'cause I’m guessing a fair number people give up), especially for a title so content starved as TPS.

I have a level 70 Athena but I can’t remember how she managed to slog through those levels. Maybe resurrecting the Darksiders ten billion times?

5 Likes

Didn’t know Claptrap legendaries could vendor spawn. Cool. Level 68, otoh, not cool. Also, yikes, didn’t realize that was half my money.

(Also despite complaining, I’m back on the UVHM grind with Nisha. Bosses without easy kill skill fodder are proving an issue.)

6 Likes

Been doing nothing the last two days but trying to find a shock or fire single barrel Hyperion shotty (I remembered that the last time I played Athena I burnt out looking for the same thing). Picking up every green and up shotgun I see to grind, same for glitches, checking vendors, opening moonstone chests. Not one. Puts into perspective how many permutations there are and how much RNG is involved. Nevermind that TPS loves to drop underleveled loot, ughh.

Athena’s doing mostly fine with Tediore splitters (actually found purple upgrades to my blues, both elements, cause there’s so much less variation with lasers), but I’m not great at aiming with them outside melee range. They’re decent but not great at stacking against bosses that you don’t want to get too close to.

The real white whale is the Storm Front. At least I did finally find a decent zero fuse longbow tesla.

4 Likes

Fired up Overcharge Wilhelm last night for the first time in a few months. He was sitting at level 33 with the Drakensburg on deck. That was a bit low for my tastes, so I farmed Darksiders up to 34 and sprinkled in vendor trips to Concordia as well. Came away with a purple Quad, a corrosive Dahl AR, and a shiny 3DD1.E. I think that should give me enough power and survivability to go head to Pity’s Fall next session.

3 Likes

Decided to finally redeem my Company Man. Was non-elemental. Decided to restart cause what have I got to lose. Somehow it let me redeem it a second time, and I got a shock one with a torgue stock, but also a torgue grip. I considered what to do for a minute because that reload time was pretty bad, before restarting again cause it seemed like I could reroll it indefinitely. Nope. Didn’t get a second chance and those other Company Men are gone. RIP.

Think I need to take a break.

2 Likes

I’m being dumb, but the above Company Man business completely deflated my enthusiasm for the game. Bleh.

The game threw me a bone in the form of a purple Thinking. Decided to moonstone grind on a lark.

Ain’t too pretty, and the reload’s going to take some getting used to after using tediores, but I’m not complaining. (I am kicking myself for not saving the CM, though)

3 Likes

this is my current dilemma with TPS. I fire it up and try to level my Athena which is sitting at 57 in UVHM. without finishing off the story, I can’t get to the guardian hunter mission to farm the aliens. that is a ton of XP and can be obtained quickly. To get that, you must finish the story line. And currently, at this level and mediocre gear, the Sentinel is too difficult at my current state. so I find myself farming Iwa for that xp and possible gear upgrades. it’s definitely a slog to say the least.

1 Like

There’s always read-only farming the grinder.

But for reliable stuff I’d recommend farming a non-elemental IVF from the Bosun and just freeze the second phase with anything and use a half-decent femme fatale to chuck at him. The farm is really fast if you grenade/rocket/moonscaper jump.

And with a Blood Rush build the Spadroon should do plenty of damage to the first phase, especially with a tesla to buff you. And your shield and Conduit should keep you plenty safe in that melee range.

3 Likes

Always a bit of a sad trombone moment when you get a hyperion grip… on an old hyperion

2 Likes

Ran through Pity’s Fall and took down the dear old Bosey last night. No super cool drops. A shock Hyperion pistol took care of his shields, and an incendiary Maliwan SMG took down his health. Finally starting to get back into the flow of Overcharge looping. 'Twas a fun session.

1 Like

I enjoy resetting resetting and playing through again. I mean who doesn’t love killing Deadlift over and over.

3 Likes

Just got it back again last night. Looked at Athena but didn’t press Continue because I’m saving it for later times, when all is said and done.

Thanks khimerakiller and others. I finally finished the game, and Claptastic Voyage. I didn’t think I would be able to beat EOS and Eclipse on UVHM. But enough jumping up and down in the tube and a decent shotty did the trick. I have now beaten the game with Athena and Jack. I’m now trying to level Jack up to 70. Will drop things off to Athena and Nisha as he finds them.

Don’t think Nisha will finish. She’s good in a mob, but seems the weakest in boss/badass fighting. I only used her to get Athena a level 60 Excalibur, after Athena lost hers. So no biggie.

I’ve decided to abandon my level 7 Claptrap. Just don’t like the weirdness of the skill tree.

Started an Aurelia. I love cryo. So far having fun with her.

My most recent mission I kept restarting the story, with Jack. I wanted to keep beating Holodome level 3 for a new legendary class mod. I’m starting to think the only legendary given out is the Elpis one. The cryo one. It’s fun, but has fewer points and has some odd skill selection. I would have to go wayyyyy down a tree just to the +4.

Next is off to Crisis Scar to shut down the signal. Might start an enforcer soon.

4 Likes

Not true but @khimerakiller could talk your ears off about it. :wink:

Don’t use the randomness-based right hand tree but the others instead. He’s quite literally a blast.
But @khimerakiller could talk your ears off about it, too. :slight_smile:

Those Chronicler of Elpis coms are among the best class mods once you can afford to support them via enough skill points.
But again, @khimerakiller could … You know the drill. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had a Steam friend msg me about Luck Cannon recipe’s or the best chance to yield a Luck Cannon from the Grinder. I know of no such recipe, nor do I think it exists. I think it’s pure RNG and you can only use variables that make the chance greater. Such as: purple jakobs pistol + DLC legendary + Vanilla or DLC Legendary. I am not sure if using 2 DLC leg’s increase the chance or 1? I’ve not noticed a difference, but I also don’t necessarily pay attention to that specifically when grinding for a Luck Cannon. (This method I haven’t used in years and was on Xbox1, and I’ve heard that the Grinder had an update at some point which made it nearly impossible to get a Luck Cannon)I did attempt a few tries and could only yield a Proletarian Rev pistol out of the DLC legendaries.

I have also used DLC Legendary + Vanilla Legendary + Vanilla Legendary and netted a Luck Cannon from the Grinder. I’m currently in the process of trying the following recipe: DLC leg + DLC Leg+ DLC Leg. all DLC legendaries to see if I get more DLC legedaries as a result from the Grinder.

I’ve been farming EOS again and trying to draw out the phases so I get more opportunities for a Luck Cannon to drop. Those Swarmers drop them for me from time to time, so just having a longer fight allows for more spawns. Apparently, UBA Glitches drop the Luck Cannon but I haven’t seen that for me yet. only the Swarmers drop them for me during that EOS fight.

You can try this, but I would just go with CV leg + any leg + purple.

1. List of Reliable Ingredients for DLC2 Legendaries [WIP]

Luck Cannons

The ingredients for the Pro Revolution seem to also give a Luck Cannon on occasions.

Proletarian Revolution

[ Pro Revolution ] + [ DLC2 Leg Wpn ] + [ Purple Pistol ] ~= Better than Avg. In Getting One
[ Flayer #1 ] + [ Flayer #2 ] + [ Purple Hyperion Pistol ] ~= Better than Avg. In Getting One

Flayers

[ Pro Revolution #1 ] + [ Pro Revolution #2 ] + [ Purple SG ] ~= Better than Avg. In Getting One
[Note: A purple Tediore SG may give better than avg results on occasions]
[ Flayer #1 ] + [ Flayer #2 ] + [ Purple SG ] ~= Better than Avg. In Getting One

DLC2 Weapon Legendary except for the Flayer

The best way to get them is by using this combination
[ Any DLC2 Leg Wpn ] + [ Any Main Game Leg Wpn (or Berrigan RL) ] + [ Desired Type Weapon ]

2 Likes

thanks for the info, but I’m a pretty seasoned vet on the Grinder. Been at this for years now. Takes a little bit to shake the cobwebs off, so-to-speak. The Luck Cannon chance is very low. Been at if for days now. Here is what finally popped up. RNG’s heavy hand! :acmaffirmative:

I’ll keep at it till matching grip shows up.

Date: 12/10/2020 -
New post, dind’t feel like doubling up. lol

I’ve been feverishly farming for a perfect Luck Cannon. matching grip with my sight of choice. I prefer Torgue and Jacobs but will settle for Mal/Dahl sight, the rest I don’t accept. to the grinder they go! lol Farming has really sucked me back in to TPS. I find myself playing with the passion I had years ago. Looking to move on from farming the Luck Cannon, I had a good friend help me out with converting a console save file to PC so I can use gear I spent years farming for on console. A huge thanks to @Geomason for converting the two saves I had. a Nisha and Athena both having gear I spent years farming for. Now, I have that gear on PC, which I quickly moved to my new Nisha. The save file from console has over 30 days worth of play time. To my PC time: 5 days. lol it take a long time to build that kind of time up. On console, there isn’t the afk time you have to take into account like you do on PC. I have a ton of AFK time built up on PC. Console, not so much. When I fired up the game, I didn’t leave it on. I turned off the console. PC I treat differently. its a laptop that no one touches but me. So I can leave a game on and walk away and come back as desired. Needless to say, I’m loving my perfect Dastardly Luck Cannon. I started farming the Holodome rewards per round. I’m currently farming the Badass round reward hoping for a Berrigan to show up.

Edit: 12/11/2020 -
I’ve been farming the badass round mission reward from the Holodome continually. Still no matching grip Berrigan. It doesn’t appear very often. It’s kind of a slog to farm to be honest with how little I see it pop up. A couple days straight of just farming this mission reward and I have seen roughly 4 Berrigans.

3 Likes

Late reply and mini rant:
As a big fan of Hyperion weapons in BL1 (especially stinger SMGs), I was disappointed with the reverse recoil added in BL2. Then I came across Old Hyperion in TPS, and my heart sunk. How could they have alluded to the hot crimson tones of the originals but made them so awful?

Anyway, I’ve been getting back into TPS recently. I never got very far into it before BL3 released, but now I’m back. I got all 6 characters into Concordia, and a few of them a bit further. I’m loving the diversity of the action skills and personalities, and the way they interact with the NPCs during missions/introductions seems more immersive than other BL games.

Just now I had a perfectly timed random NPC line. I got a Rolling Thunder from the grinder, and I decided to throw a grenade because I couldn’t remember what its effect was. I nearly downed myself with all of the explosions going off, and someone said, “Are they trying to kill us with that thing?” Yep. Everyone in this room… including me!

3 Likes

Yeah I was totally wrong about Nisha. Finished game and Claptastic Voyage and is at level 70.

Just stopped short of Hyperion Hub of Heroism(Home Sweet Home) with Aurelia. I find the game goes pretty quickly from here on in.

Still have my Claptrap. Started an enforcer. Seems like a clumsy Zane :slight_smile:

Playing more BL2 these days. Itching to get back to TPS. I’m going on a limb that the Sheriff in Lynchwood is Nisha?

2 Likes

Yes she is.

2 Likes