What does ship accuracy mean?

When looking at future changes for the next balance patch, I’m seeing accuracy vs specific units mentioned a lot. Why would a ship have say a certain accuracy vs corvettes and a certain accuracy vs frigates? Don’t ships all use ballistics now?

I’ve seen this mentioned for bombers, which I’m fairly certain are using ballistics. I know some units still use the old HW2 system, but I’m not sure which ones.

See: [ADVICE] When to use Newtonian Ballistics?

That link seems to just be concerned with one of the many new features that make combat feel real, rather than basic ‘RNG’ roll of the dice. Here’s a list of many of the new features that were added in HWR 2.0:

Click for Details

Ships

• setSpeedvsAccuracyApplied(NewShipType, Speed, Mult) //Accuracy adjustments against this ship based on its speed. Maximum of 8 ranges supported.
    Note that this is not a straight mult above 1.0, ie 1.2 is not 1.2x more likely to hit. Example tables:

Accuracy| Mult| Adjusted Accuracy
    0.8 1.2 0.83
    0.5 1.2 0.583
    0.25 1.2 0.375
    0.15 1.2 0.291
    0.05 1.2 0.208

0.8 5.0 0.96
    0.5 5.0 0.90
    0.25 5.0 0.85
    0.15 5.0 0.83
    0.05 5.0 0.81

At 1.0 and below it’s a straight mult:
    0.8 0.9 0.72
    0.5 0.9 0.45
    0.25 0.9 0.225
    0.15 0.9 0.135
    0.05 0.9 0.045

Weapons

New Weapon features:

setLifetimeMult(NewWeaponType, MULT);

//Bullet life is normally a ratio of speed and weapon range multiplied by a fixed percent to add padding. This percent is now exposed as a multiplier on a per weapon basis allowing for missed bullets to travel further than the range they were initially fired within, striking targets beyond what they were aimed at.

setDamageFalloff(NewWeaponType, FALLOFF/RANGE, PERCENTAGESTART);

//Bullet damage can be reduced based on distance of bullet travel. Shot damage can be multiplied against how much damage is lost in meters per second over the range of the weapon, beginning at a defined point. The damage falloff starts at the defined point, which is expressed as a percent of the total weapon range (i.e. You can have a weapon that loses damage over the entire lifetime of the bullet or a weapon that does full damage for 80 percent of its travel but does diminishing damage to targets within the last 20 percent of its range.

setAccuracyFalloff(NewWeaponType, FALLOFF/RANGE, PERCENTAGESTART);

//Same as damage falloff. For Homeworld 2 style bullet steering, it acts as a multiplier against the weapon accuracy against its target, reducing the chance the bullet will steer into its target. For ballistics enabled weapons it acts as a multiplier against the weapon accuracy against its target, reducing the chance the bullet will be considered an aimed shot if it strikes its target.

setMissProperties(NewWeaponType, MissConeHorizontal,MissConeVertical, MissLowDamage,MissHighDamage,MissSpeed,MissLifetime);

Miss Cone

//In Homeworld 2 accuracy modeling, if a bullet is marked as a miss, bullet steering was turned off and “noise” was added to the bullet trajectory to make it fire off-center. The amount of noise added to the initial trajectory (up or down plus left or right) created a miss cone. The miss cone is now definable on a per weapon basis and can be expanded or contracted (to zero).

Miss Hi/Lo damage

//If a bullet is marked as a miss and strikes a target anyway, the damage is multiplied against a range defined as high and low damage. Expressed as a percent of the damage had it been marked as a hit.

Miss speed

//Bullets marked as a miss can travel at a reduced speed. Multiplied against the original bullet speed.

Miss Lifetime

//Bullets marked as a miss can travel over a reduced range, simulating misfires

setSpeedvsAccuracyAgainst(NewWeaponType, SPEED, MULT); //Accuracy adjustments for this weapon against targets traveling within SPEEDRANGES

setBallistics(NewWeaponType,BOOL,FIREAHEAD,FIREBEHIND); //Bool turns on/off ballistic modeling on the weapon. FIREAHEAD/FIREBEHIND are optional and allows the weapon to fire in front or behind the target.

Ballistic Modeling

//Weapon steering can be enabled or disabled on a per weapon basis.

1. On weapons with steering (non ballistic), the engine ensures that a percentage of shots fired will strike the target based on the accuracy table within the weapon.
  2. On weapons without steering (ballistic), the weapon aims directly at the target and fires (or ahead of/behind, if deflection capable), and whether it hits or not is subject to bullet speed, target speed, weapon range and target behavior.

The accuracy table is used to determine the number of shots that are considered “aimed”. An aimed shot does full damage if it strikes the target , an unaimed shot is subject to the miss rules (miss cone, Hi/Lo damage, miss speed and miss lifetime) to determine bullet damage and behavior.

Multiple combinations exist to create several hybridizations of ballistic modeling. Almost all strike craft and ships designed to counter strike craft now utilize some form of ballistic modeling.

setMissileKiller(NewWeaponType,BOOL);

If you want to see which ships and weapons use which features, check out the stats tool: [TOOL] Stats Tool

#Summary
But that’s all prolly information overload. Here’s some examples. All numbers are made up, but reflect how things actually work:
hw1 Assault frigs 20% accuracy vs fighters:
vaygr assault frigs 70% accuracy vs fighters:

HWR 1.3:
4 hw1 assault frigs vs 70 hiig interceptors = 300 seconds to kill interceptors
4 hw1 assault frigs vs 70 hiig interceptors stuck in a GW = 300 seconds to kill interceptors
4 vaygr assault frigs vs 70 hiig interceptors = 90 seconds to kill interceptors
4 vaygr assault frigs vs 70 hiig interceptors stuck in a GW = 90 seconds to kill interceptors

HWR 2.0:
4 hw1 assault frigs vs 70 hiig interceptors = 300 seconds to kill interceptors
4 hw1 assault frigs vs 70 hiig interceptors stuck in a GW = 60 seconds to kill interceptors
4 vaygr assault frigs vs 70 hiig interceptors = 90 seconds to kill interceptors
4 vaygr assault frigs vs 70 hiig interceptors stuck in a GW = 50 seconds to kill interceptors

Hey Cloaked,
How do you make that “Click for details” to work (hide and show)?

"Test" testing 1 testing 2 testing 3

I’ve been looking for it for ages …

Sorry, another test

THE DRONE FRIGATES OF ESCHER ![image](upload://bc2rKSV7L8c8kpRjZEIi7Y3A5l8.jpg)

Seems to be working, it’s alive, it’s alive …

1 Like

I don’t get the joke.

M C Escher is a dutch artist from the beginning of the 20th century and he used to draw repeated elements in 2D / 3D space, just like the screenshot.

Reminds me more of HR Giger.

1 Like

But how does accuracy work I mean. I thought the RNG system was removed, so ships just lob projectiles at one another and whether or not it hit is determined by physics. Or is it still the RNG system, but now it takes into account how ships are moving?

I would answer that I think even hw1 ballistics had an RNG peice (been 10 years since i modded hw1c, so dont quote me on that ;)) and so does HWR 2.0.

Software is just trying to simulate real ballistics as best as it can. In real life a sniper gun is more accurate than a AK47, but both are gonna have a harder time hitting a moving target.

The examples at the bottom of my last post shows how ‘accuracy’ works. I would say its somewhat RNG, but that RNG is drastically affected by a targets speed.

I think accuracy plus speeds and other factors determine a chance to hit. If its decided to be a miss, there is a miss cone and that ‘missed bullet’ will be fully ‘ballistic’ like and anything that happens to get in the way including the edge of the target - will be damaged for full or partial health.