What music are you listening to right now? 2: Electric Boogaloo

1 Like

A song I presume to be about living with schizoaffective disorder. It’s great.

images (7)

Adrian Borland; front-man of The Sound struggled with the condition himself. His own personal experience allowed him to write such songs, and he handles them with tact, refusing to slip into the trappings of morose song-writing. The track moves forward at a brisk pace, seemingly upbeat, the layered vocals at times feel frantic, and by the end the screeching guitar and laughter strikes the listener as something genuinely troubling. Very much a musical reflection of his psyche.

Maybe you’re more into the more brooding, gloomy sound so characteristic of much of post-punk. They do that too, and perhaps better than most; ramping up the intensity just at the right moments. It’s powerful stuff.

How about a tender, yet impassioned fiery love song imbued with some naive romanticism?

You likely noticed that last track was not a studio recording. One of the most impressive things about the band is that they weren’t just some tightly engineered studio product. From what I can gather via old recordings, their live shows seemed spectacular. At times producing both intensely monumental anthems as well as sincerely poignant intimacy with the crowd. Their presence was so much larger than their relative obscurity might lead one to believe. I wish I had been around back then, the chance to see one of their shows would’ve been awesome.

While I generally loathe the idea of the ‘tortured artist’ perpetuating this notion that the exceptional works of an individual can somehow be attributed to mental illness, I think that may be the case with Borland in some capacity. Being the primary songwriter for much of the bands work, I get the impression that he feels things very deeply, whether that be on the cloudy or sunny side of things. I think the trope is a misguided point of people looking for some deeper sentimentality regarding an artist/ musician, and often ends up glorifying mental illness as a result. Whether or not the symptoms of his condition played a part in songs like this I can’t really say for certain, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

I highly recommend looking into The Sound further if any of these tracks grab you the way they did me. I find just about all of their works to be very good, and a potential listener could start with any album, though I recommend the first two: Jeopardy (1980) and From the Lions Mouth (1981).

1 Like

Was feeling a bit frisky this morning.

You guys/gals ever realized how difficult it is to find banjo AND bagpipe music?
I know some may argue there’s (good) reasons for that. Not the point. :stuck_out_tongue:

First you’ll get iterations of Dueling bagpipes.

Maybe a bagpipes and uilleann(!) Pipes Duet

Then there’s this thing. Which feels like it was recorded and edited by a red hair witch.

And finally there’s that one.

1 Like
2 Likes

The YouTube algorithm has blessed me recently with Marc Rebillet. He mainly does improvised electronic music with a loop station, a good dose of funk, hip hop, soul, house and even more humor. He’s the funniest dude I’ve seen in a while. And since this is a video game related forum, here’s a song about a LAN party.

Love this record. Nothing more to say lol.

You know why I like this? Because you remind me of my parents back from my childhood, when I was like 6-7-8 years old? It’s not banjo and bagpipe, but IT IS bagpipe for real. Thank you for remindind me of this classic :thinking:

1 Like
1 Like