What music are you listening to right now? 2: Electric Boogaloo

The Sound kicks so much ass. I love them dearly.

1 Like

@Jefe 's post about the Norwegian fairy tale East of the Sun and West of the Moon caused this totally unrelated earworm.

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Second Layer was a side project of The Sound frontman (Adrian Borland) and his childhood friend and bassist of the same band (Graham Bailey), active from roughly 1979 to 1981. They only ever produced one full record and a few EPs here and there before dissolving. Doesn’t stop it from being totally awesome though.

Fixation is probably my favorite track from them. Just a very cool sound overall, bit different from their usual indulgent darkness and grim mood.

State of Emergency possesses such a frantic and disjointed climax, and the way the song just abruptly dies leaves a very strong lasting impression, foreboding as it may be.

At their most uncompromising they produced songs that genuinely unnerve and terrify me.

I’ll never make the mistake of listening to The Telephone Call in the middle of the night with my headphones ever again. Horrific experience.

3 Likes

They sound really nice. Got to dive into Second Layer, even if they produced a few EPs. Nice share, thank you.
But you mentioning side projects, somehow instantly reminded me of Jean-Michel Basquiat (don’t know how, sometimes just things come into my mind randomly, out of nowhere), and how much I like graffiti, the movie and Basquiat’s experimental band, Gray. Been an eternity since I heard any of their songs.

Edit:

This is the original Gray album in full of its glory

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

John McLaughlin on guitar by the way, whom I saw in Van with Trilok Gurtu and….Kai Eckhardt? I think? And I do believe this was the tour

1 Like

Don’t know why there’s 1970s Japanese jazz funk in my recommendations but it’s hitting all the right buttons. Love the album cover.

2 Likes

Ear worm. Can not stop singing.

■■■■ I absolutely worship Aimee Mann. What an incredible songwriter

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t (didn’t knew) know anything about Aimee Mann. Not that she’s just an incredible songwriter (turns out), but also a pleasant voice to hear. This girl can really sing and you can see that it’s coming from her heart.

2 Likes

Throwback Wednesday, I guess?

@lemqualdo - the algorithm strikes again! Masayoshi Takanaka is apparently also the guitarist in Sadistic Mika Band. And that bass player…

2 Likes

I’m grateful to the algorithm for introducing me to Takanaka. As someone commented on YouTube:

nobody searched for this album, it will find you when you need it.

This is so true, lol. Went down the :rabbit::hole: and listened to most of his albums. The music is full of optimism and just puts me in a good mood. Exactly what I needed.

My current Ohrwurm is Sexy Dance, can’t stop humming the melody all day.

Speaking of sexy dances: the older lady got the moves!

Freestyle rap is usually not my cup of tea but this song just got added to my workout playlist

2 Likes

My son had the same experience. His words: “I didn’t know I needed this in my life!” Apparently, the algorithm will deliberate seed older content into what people see, just to test whether it will be engaging. And if it is, then everyone gets more of it.

On topic - currently listening to the Takanaka video you posted, but yesterday was Earth Wind and Fire day:

2 Likes

Some interruptions in the song but it’s the version I’m listening to right now.

And this. For kicks & giggles.

2 Likes

Interesting the above video happens to mention Devo since this was today’s ear worm. Actually the video freaked the ■■■■ out of me when it came out (I would have been 11).

Slightly more highbrow was today’s revelation that Vivaldi is in fact a complete kickass composer. Unfortunately I can’t find the piece but it would have been one of his recorder (yes……recorder) concertos. Absolutely stunning — I would almost be tempted to call it neo-baroque it was so wonky, but completely genius.