What the heck is happening with loot at lower levels?

I decided to start a new character and I went with Zane. I’m at level 32 and I just killed the monster in the Floating Tomb. So far of all the bosses, badasses, and from both vault monsters I have gotten almost ZERO freakin legendaries. I have gotten a couple from random badasses, but zilch from any of the bosses. So what, now the only way to get legendaries is by playing the freakin Mayhem mode? What happens with players that are just beginning? Are they being punished somehow? And I’m not going to even mention the stuttering that hasn’t gone away since I started playing the game. You need to get your act together and give a better balance to the game. Oh, and I almost forgot, Loot Tinks? Several killed and not ONE legendary.

4 Likes

I’m leveling a Fl4K and it seems ok. I’ve had bosses drop no legendaries sure but I farmed floating tomb guy (Graveward?) and I’m getting 3-4 most kills.

3 Likes

Lucky you. I don’t know if I want to spend time farming a boss, if I’m not gong to get anything in return. Thanks for posting.

I play borderlands 3 on release day and i remember that on normal playtrough, the legendery is super rare, and you can’t get anointment at all until you face certain boss. Once i activate the mayhem then it is start appearing more frequently, but the time you activate mayhem then anointment start become important. I think the legendary drop rate for first playtrough is intentional, before anointment appear all legendary is important so it is rare, later the anointment start to affect the effectiveness of weapon so legendary become more frequent.

4 Likes

It’s frequently been my experience to get no legendaries all the way up to Nekrotafeyo on the first play through. (Aside from quest rewards, obviously.)

6 Likes

It is common in Normal playthroughs for legendaries not to drop often. They can drop though.

They are not being “punished” at all. Getting legendary items too early in a game can spoil the experience, especially if it is an “overperforming” weapon that can trivialize encounters.

6 Likes

I’m playing the DL2 on Mayhem 7 and the loot is absolutely terrible. Any legendaries are usually shields or nades from the main story. I’ve had one legendary weapon unique to the DLC and it wasn’t scaled to M7, just normal level.

The constant lag spikes and messages of a new update for the game(never seems to load latest hotfix or just can’t) made me realize that this game is awful on console (PS4).

I was really into this game but now I’m totally turned off.

2 Likes

DLC2 has been bad with drops from the moment it came out.
Still alot broken drop wise in it.
I hope they address it in the coming patches.

3 Likes

I feel you!

It’s RNG, I had the same issue with FL4K for the longest time, but now it rains legenaries with this VH. My Amara I’ve gotten to almost level 30 and she’s the exact opposite, hardly any legendaries. I think its just luck of the draw.

Oh, I forgot. I haven’t played though since the 2nd Cartel was out due to the update somehow causing my Xbox to shut off like nobody’s business. I’ve submitted 2 trouble tickets but all I hear back from are bots. I’m not risking my console because GB doesn’t know how to properly test their work.

2 Likes

It wasn’t my experience the first time I played it. That’s why it surprises me now that there are so few drops. Also, even from the very beginning if you run into a loot tink, they dropped a legendary, one, at least… always, not anymore. Loot tinks drop purples at the most.

2 Likes

DLC2 has had problems since it released.
Rare Spawns did not spawn, certain loot items never dropped. Skullmasher was only ever found in chests, not it’s loot owner. After MH 2.0, it’s loot owner drops it as a chest item so it won’t be a Mayhem level drop.
For the longest time, the only items that did drop were a very few items: Oldridian, Flama Diddle, Seeryul Killer, and Anarchy.
Yes, some adjustments were finally done, but alot of the loot still rarely drops.
Most of the loot was also rendered pretty useless as soon as MH2.0 dropped.

Waiting for things to be fixed. I have two characters part way through but decided to wait to see if everything gets fixed.

3 Likes

I concur with the original post. I played Fl4k in March & Zane in April having some legendaries in lower level (through 1 to 40). I recently did Moze mid May and until level 50+ legendaries drop were nearly non existent.

1 Like

I’ve been getting pretty consistent legendary drops with Cartels active. I also keep getting legendaries out of random loot containers. XB1 ML2. Note that RNG does mean everyone will encounter dry spells. There have also been so many events that boosted legendary drops it may be that people don’t have an accurate recall of what the game was like without them.

6 Likes

This is quite odd.

I started when it arrived on Steam (March 13 iirc) and the game vomited legendaries. One loot tink would give 5 or 6 and loot tinks were plentiful. Dedicated drop sources were practically guaranteed.

Not so now. Drops aren’t exactly in line with BL2, maybe 20-30% at a guess? Major bosses often drop nothing but greens, blues, purples.

Certainly drops are more consistent in the Villa. I don’t have a specific problem with this but I’ve certainly been spoiled (as I suspect most here have as well).

I’m at M4-6 for what it’s worth.

2 Likes

I’ve recently started a rakk Fl4k “use what you find” run, from the start (not jumping to lvl 13). Previously, I played all four VHs through the whole game, when the game first came out (so, no events, etc).
In my experience, I’m getting way less legendaries this time through. I’ve got a single legendary drop from a hammerlock hunt enemy and a few from the cartel event (in the mansion map). I haven’t had anything from bosses, though I haven’t been farming any of them (something I did do with some of my original VHs, to get their dedicated legendary loot, like mindkiller shotgun).
That might be my own fault, though, as all my original VHs had the loot boost effect from the Duluxe Badass Combuster shield (the one that boosts loot drops, up until level 10). So, since I’m not using that on my current run, I might be comparing the base game to the boosted loot version.

2 Likes

Where did you get that shield? Is it a legendary? I’ve never heard of it.

1 Like

Exactly my experience too.

2 Likes

You get it in the mail, if you have the deluxe version of the game. It’s a legendary and boosts your XP and loot drops, up to level 11. It’s also a fairly good fire nova shield, even at higher levels.

1 Like

I don’t have the deluxe version of the game. I bought the base game when released in Steam at a lowered price, and then bought the DLCs separately. And since I’m not really interested in the season pass and its gadgets, I never got it. So, that’s the reason. Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like