What was the last game you played?

There’s a single player mode, but I’d suggest just joining public games. It’s designed for co-op (the traversal tools and roles synergize heavily). I played it almost purely in pubs and the community is friendlier than most.

1 Like

Did more in S:BZ. I’d finally found the Prawn suit grappling arm blueprint parts the other day. Unfortunately, I hadn’t noticed (or received no error message) that the game was no longer saving when I hit “Save” - lost several hours of progress plus a bunch of blueprints.

Resumed and tried redoing what I’d done before, but can I find those grapple arm parts? Of course not - everything but! Very frustrating, that.

Oh well, at least I have the full size Alien Containment tank in my large room now; just waiting for the eggs to hatch now.

1 Like

Yep, The Last of Us.

I feel that screenshot perfectly captures Joel’s character in a single still image. Not only is this game still beautiful close to a decade on, the expression on his face is perfectly representative of Joel as a person.

The Last of Us is an interesting game to me. When it first released, I recall praising it endlessly. The word ‘masterpiece’ definitely gets thrown around a bit too much when discussing highly appreciated media and this was no different. In the years since, I have certainly moderated my take on the game a bit, but I still think it is great. The writing is genuinely very good, the score, the visuals, animation quality, etc. It would seem the biggest criticism of the game is its gameplay. I would say that’s fair. The main issue most take with it is a lack of real mechanical involvement from the player for a decent portion of its length. Many sections in the game simply ask the player to walk as NPCs will make conversation with you. I didn’t find these to be bad at all because character interactions are always so natural and there is a fair amount of items to pick up as you walk. Rarely are there sections of extended length with nothing to interact with in at least a small way.

Though I got the platinum for this game a couple months ago now, it’s still rather fresh in my mind. I had to play on Grounded and it really changes how you play, for the better, I’d argue. Resources are incredibly scarce, so there is a very real incentive to look around and make use of what you can find. You also have to play really smart, which I loved about Grounded mode. Bricks are your best friend. You can find them all over the place and they can make distractions or insta kill melee weapons in the right circumstances. Sometimes it’s better to avoid a fight altogether and conserve resources. There is so much more depth to be had from the gameplay when you have to think in these terms; something that the lower difficulties don’t require from the player. TLOU derives its gameplay depth from the collection of systems it houses, even though most of them are rather shallow on their own. Stealth is limited, gunplay was made to NOT feel satisfying, and melee combat is mostly there to look awesome and save ammo.

What made the game very fun for me was being forced to adapt to situations. When all the systems work together, they mask their lack of true complexity for a sort of congruence. You fight in one way, then switch to another tactic. Maybe pause for a second to craft a molotov, things like that. I recall one section being agonizing on Grounded mode. In Pittsburgh, there is a bookstore the player must pass through. There are tons of patrolling human enemies in this area and they have REALLY sharp senses. Numerous stealth attempts had failed as I tried to push it a little too fast, not paying attention to their patrol routes. After a while I decided to try another way. Screw stealth, I’m gonna go in and gun down everyone. I’m actually better playing like this because waiting around doesn’t suit me a whole lot. Blasting through enemies isn’t a breeze, but it’s certainly less frustrating than getting spotted and immediately restarting. The caveat here is that by engaging in an open gunfight, the enemies will hear the shots and the game will actually spawn MORE enemies as backup. So if you choose to fight your way through, you had better make sure you have the ammo to do so, or find a way to slip back into stealth. The game forced me to adapt. I tried multiple options, and funnily enough ended up doubling down on stealth to avoid the extra spawns. Thankfully the Bow is overpowered for stealth sections so I managed. I’d say I came out of that engagement as a better player, and I appreciate the game for encouraging me to improve.

I guess what I ultimately wanted to say regarding gameplay is that you won’t find any set of mechanics exceptionally deep or fleshed out compared to other games. You will; however, find an engaging gameplay loop on higher difficulties due to rudimentary systems complimenting each other. It ends up being more than the sum of its parts.

Lastly, the writing. TLOUs greatest strength is the story and characters. The actual plot is really quite thin, but Joel and Ellie and everyone else all play so well off each other. Joel’s dynamic with Ellie and the themes of fatherhood, the false hope that NPCs like Tess, Henry, and Sam bring serve as reminders of the world they live in, which could almost be a character on its own. It shaped who they are, and very little humanity remains within people. Not exactly super original, themes like these are often explored in apocalypse fiction but TLOU just has a certain quality to it. The actors performances and the super strong writing make it really compelling, more than it probably has any right to be. It’s a joy to watch Joel and Ellie grow close, drift apart, and close again. It’s a very lonely game at times, and a peaceful one at others. I love this game because you get to take it in. All the sadness and tragedy exists alongside the beauty. No matter what, you keep finding something to fight for. I still find this game to be very profound. It makes you feel and think. I don’t think its the best game ever made but I do love it all these years later. Where it stumbles, it never falls. And where it succeeds, it grabs you and pulls you in. I had a great time revisiting TLOU with the PS4 remaster. Multiplayer was quite a bit of fun too. I’m glad that the game still holds up to my more critical eye now that I have the maturity to properly judge games. After broadening my horizons with other titles out there, I find a few issues here and there but in the end I still believe it to be a great game with a lot to offer. Even if you play it just the once, it will likely stick with you in a way few games manage to do.

2 Likes

Try Last of Us: Left Behind and Part 2.

I started to play TLOU, but never finished it.

I got Hollow Knight a while back, course the handdrawn optics appealed to me and whispers it was on sale.

This may just be my favourite 2D-platformer since playing Ghosts ‘n’ Goblins in the 80s.

1 Like

Behold the swarm

Whale Shark Taxi

Played through ABZU. Somehow that made me think about getting Subnautica: Below Zero :thinking:

2 Likes

I’ve been seeing ABZU crop up a bit since I completed S:BZ and the original Subnautica recently.

All my base are belong to MEEEEEE!!!

View from the spy pengling cam:

Enter the Shadow Leviathan:

Behold the mighty King Prawn!

Yikes!

So that’s were ion cubes come from:

That’s one big mother… Sea Emperor:

Seagate!

I’m not saying it’s alien technology, but it’s alien technology:

3 Likes

I played the second and final Outer Worlds DLC, Murder on Eridanos. It has the same high quality as the rest of the game, and the premise was good, but I’m still glad they’re ending it here. There’s only so many ways you can say “unchecked capitalism is bad” before your point is driven through to the other side of the earth.

I also played DONTNOD’s non-Life Is Strange adventure game Twin Mirror. It’s a mystery game so I won’t spoil much, but I will say that I enjoyed it. Your character has two “powers” that you can use throughout the game, and eventually you have to choose which one you want to use in the final confrontation. If you like the small town vibe of LiS but want to move away from the teen drama angle into something new, I recommend giving it a try.

Then I did a playthrough of The Bunker. It had a great atmosphere, some really heavy violent scenes, and a decent storyline in a cool environment. The gameplay was much less intuitive than in some of the later Wales Interactive FMV games I’ve played (like Late Shift and The Complex), but I still enjoyed the experience.

3 Likes

Got an adapter yesterday, so I have been replaying some childhood games of mine. Lately it has been Goldeneye 007. its a bit tricky with the adapter, so was going to play Smash Bros and maybe some Mario Kart later. It feels good to play these games again. Just need a change in scenery from PS5 all the time

3 Likes

I bought someone’s old CRT TV to hook my N64 up. It makes the games look a lot better.

Just restarted Borderlands two

4 Likes

i dont have a big tv, so a certain distance it looks blurry. but i cant change that for the game. but it is fun to play again.

2 Likes

We play side by side split screen on a 65" tv.
on All the BL’s I can read the text stuff except BL3.

Decided for a bit of nostalgia and replayed the final section of HALO:ODST. Still one of my favourite games, but the character models - especially in the cut-scenes - really haven’t aged very well. Not quite ‘Oblivion’ levels of model, but still not great.

4 Likes

The final Borderlands game to fresh start on the Xbox One.

With my favorite character of the lot.

First BA rank.

Lilith dancing her heart out.

Some random shots.

7 Likes

Since my last post here I played through two games the offered vastly different experiences:

In the red corner, Superhot. A game that hinges on the idea that time only moves on when the player of this FPS moves. The levels one plays are more like little puzzles than the usual shooter experience. The basic principle is great, but someone had to put a story between the levels.

The story has two problem (subjective opinion incoming): for me it had no twist that wasn’t predictable and it was somewhat boring. In other words, something to suffer through on the way to the next level. Basically it proves that no story at all can be better than a story that sucks.

In the blue corner: Observation. Basic idea is that one plays as the AI of a space station. Much more interesting story and quite a lot more playing time. Basically more fun, even if the mini-games one has to absolve to get onwards in the story are repetitive after a while.

3 Likes

Decided to do two things in Fallout 4 that I never did before: make a melee build and finish the Nuka-World storyline with the Raiders.

I started the game with more Strength and Endurance than I did with my previous ones so I had access to perks I’ve never tried. This included Cannibal which turned out to be as garbage as I anticipated.

Fanservice with Porter Gage. He is probably regretting helping me get through the Gauntlet.

Spent more time turning Red Rocket Truck Stop into a Raider outpost than I usually spend with settlements. It is unfortunate that I’ll likely never turn this much attention to the remaining seven outposts.

Fun fact: You can buy the Two-Shot Fat Man in Diamond City and put the Nuka-Launcher mod on it.

2 Likes

When I did the raider ending, I just did the minimum on all the settlements to prevent a riot. That last screenshot looks like you’re about to completely obliterate everything including yourself!

Ran some more FO4 myself: finished poking around Lexington and moved down to Cambridge to explore additional areas not covered in that particular playthrough. I’m basically waiting to get Cait’s personal quest, after which I’ll switch to someone else and go Storm the Castle (and have fun doing it!)

1 Like

If you stand behind the stairs just before entering Kellogg’s room, you should be able to snipe him with the Fat Man and take no damage. It might have even been intended by the devs, given how there is conveniently a Fat Man and a Mini Nuke in the armory right before you face him.

1 Like

After playing through Observation, it is time for another kind of sci-fi game:

As usual, the future sucks. But at least it is mostly brightly coloured and has floating island to marvel at while trying to get off the planet:

The Montreal weather is not very welcoming:

3 Likes