What we want for Borderlands 3. A wishlist

(Ponderer of Ideas and Musings) #1095

Okay but Rarity doesn’t guarantee quality. What if you put up your perfect double penetrating unkempt Harold and I drop in a gunerang. You going to find that fair if you win the fight? I’m not trying to be overly critical here or troll you. I’m just playing Devil’s Advocate.

(SixtySicksShooter) #1096

That’s the thrill of the game, you don’t know what you can get, if your friends don’t tell you first ,of course. Its like poker. :slight_smile: In legendary arenas you have to play with legendary weapons only, so you better keep the DPUH equiped. :wink: Even if you bet the Dpuh,if you win you take it back, along with the other players legendaries. i’m ok with critiques,man, no worries.

(Jakobs Public Relation) #1097

Do you guys remember artifacts from Borderlands 1? It was that little gem you pocketed into your skill tree that would buff your action skill. I would be curious if they revisit that with a more focused buff. Example:

• What if all game changer and capstone skills had an artifact socket?

• What if there was a “bizarro” artifact which did the opposite of what your gamechanger did? So converge on Maya would push enemies away from the phaselock, or make MMF on Zer0 capstone only be trigger by non-melee skills?

• The pros here is the DLCs only add weapons and gears, sure it can change the way your characters play, but your skill tree will be always the same as day 1. Now you have artifacts, which can be a farmable item, there can be many new ones added through updates, keeping all the character’s skill tree feel new and different, keep your players coming back.

(SixtySicksShooter) #1098

Those were pretty neat and pretty overpowered at the same time. I think randomizing action skills effect will be a bit awkward. Claptrap skill in TPS is simillar and i don’t think they hit the jackpot there. But i’d like to see those artefacts again,they can do great job with melee weapons.

(Jakobs Public Relation) #1099

I wasn’t suggestion randomization though. You get to equip whatever artifacts as if it was another item of gear, it would be another addition to the character’s build. Power creep is a matter of context, for example if they do infinite OP (like Diablo 3 does with Greater Rifts), these might not be too bad.

(SixtySicksShooter) #1100

I don’t know,man. It sounds a bit confusing. It will diverse the gameplay somehow but as a game mechanic i’m not sure is that so easily doable. To me it sound like a ton of different skills for every character, depending on how many of these artifacts you can find in the game. If they are something really rare it’s probably ok , otherwise i see lots of coders collapsing from overheating. :slight_smile:

(Ponderer of Ideas and Musings) #1101

I actually really disliked the artifacts mechanic in Borderlands for one major reason: in a game where elemental damage is vital for boosting damage, choosing one at a time to apply to your skill meant pausing the gameplay frequently to enter menu and switch to the appropriate element for the battle you’re in. I quickly grew tired of this and simply defaulted to explosion artifacts for every character.

This would have been even worse in BL2 where battles often had a wider array of enemies with elemental resistances fighting you at the same time.

Unless they came up with a system of quickly switching elements, I would really dislike seeing this mechanic in the next installment.

(SixtySicksShooter) #1102

You have different elements on the equiped weapons ,so its easy to use. Just swap to next weapon. The same thing as you i feel for the Badass rank system. The better do something about it.

(Jakobs Public Relation) #1103

Unless it is universally a good element. If they do bring back artifacts and only do elements, I don’t think it would be very interesting, it has to offer other attributes obviously. I think people actually quite didn’t understand what I suggested.

Just forget everything about artifacts, forget the element, forget it all. Just imagine a socket for capstones and 1 pointer skill that can modify that skill to do something different, whatever that is, is up to your imagination.

(SixtySicksShooter) #1104

I understood what you were saying.Similar thing works in Diablo. These gems you are talikng about can be applied probably on the main skill only, if they goes for the entire skill trees, that will insanely multiply the work on skills.Im taking the number of skills from b2 where they are about 32 for each character. There will be another 32 different set of skill for each gemstone.If you are able to apply 2 stones for each skill that will make overall 96 different gimicks for every single skill for each character and around 384 different skill gimicks for all 4 playable characters. This is the moment where game designers,animators and coders commit massive suicide. I’m not saying that this is imposible of being done, but we’ll get Borderlands 3 around year 2030 and it will be great. :slight_smile: But applying stones to slightly differ the main action skill sound reasonable and i agree it will be cool. :slight_smile:

(Jakobs Public Relation) #1105

No not all the skills, 1 pointers and capstone, even at that, maybe not all of them. If they just did the capstone for starter, that’s 3 skills per character. 4 Characters at launch = 12 Skills with a slot modifier. The modifier, depending on what they are can be generic, or class based. They already do this on Battleborn by the way, You have a alt skill on the Helis tree for every class.

Actually it wouldn’t surprise me if they redesign class mods to do this very thing.

I never mention the entire tree, not sure why you trying to complicate this concept all by yourself.

(SixtySicksShooter) #1107

I want an enraged psycho-goliath who shouts " You see what happens,Larry, when you shoot a stranger in the eyes." ref.

(Rasterranger) #1108

Add more mmo like skills to weapons. Really make the guns off the wall bonkers and game like. Weapons that are either more defensive or offensive to encourage swapping to different weapons. Kind of like how swapping weapons is important in games like guild wars 2 or elder scrolls online.

Ideas for guns off the top of my head.

A gun that shoots explosive gel that explodes over time. Shield grenades that deal damage if the shield isn’t broken in time. Gun that can make traps, etc.

I think it would be amazing to pull mechanics from some of these games like guild wars 2, league of legends, Dota, Diablo 3, your own battleborn, etc and make them work on a gun. One of the things that I didn’t like about destiny and feel that you didn’t really push away from either is the cliche gun mechanics like generic shot gun, rocket launchers, assault rifles, sniper etc. with some debuff attached on top.

For example instead of rocket launcher that maybe splits into a mortar or the nuke, how about a rocket launcher that leaves behind a radioactive field that damages enemies that walk through it at the blast area, or leaves a healing field, or a damage resistance field, or ice field.

How about a shotgun that teleport blinks you forward as an alt fire with an internal cool down.

Please move away from the generic weapons and add more variety to your combat system and your weapon builder system.

(Janospalfi) #1109

A midget vault hunter, action skill lets you ride a Goliath like master blaster

(siimpetser) #1110

I wish that at least all humanoids would have 10x more choices for choreography compared with bl2. or 100x more. I bet not many people care about this only because the standard for games is just to have enough. But it’s technically cheap to add more, isn’t it?

(Ded Orbit Gum ) #1111

So I was thinking ealrier “what if there was a new manufacturer in Borderlands 3 that made guns with infinite ammo?” And so I have been thinking of the company.

And now, I present to you, “Ra Technologies”. So basically it has the 4 weapons (like every other manufacturer). Ra tech has pistols, shotguns, machine guns, and sniper rifles(just like Jakobs).

The way they work is: they take in air and condense it down so it gets hot, it gets hot enough and it forms plasma air. I call it “P.O.D.” Plasma Oxygen Dispenser. And I thought this out for months.

Each and every weapon reloads in (mostly) unique ways. Pistols (instead of being actual pistols) are bracelets, the way you fire them is you make a finger gun, lower your thumb, and it fires. It has a little P.O.D. system on the bracelet, and you wave your arm down [most likely after recoil(whitch somehow goes upward)].

The shotguns are break action and store the air in the barrel[s]. Also it has, wait for it, a bayonet made out of condensed air, so whenever you hit say, a bandit with the bayonet, it takes a round, man that’s alot of commas.

The sniper rifle is, well… a sniper rifle…BUT it has a cylinder that you have to spin in order to reload. It’s like a sniper revolver hybrid thingamajig.

And last but not least, the machine gun. I, I, I… I actually have yet to conceive of a P.O.D. system for this. But I do have some other things [that still have yet to work(properly)]. Like the grenades, instead of creating a BOOM or a POW, they create a bubble. Like the bubble shield from Halo (before 343 messed it up) it comes from a throwable container, whicth plants itself to the ground and makes a bubble.

Then we have the shield, every company makes atleast one. Ours have somewhat been planned further than the last two, it makes you move faster based on how much you move. We use the air to create plasma, which powers the device to give the wearer both a shield, and an, adrenaline boost if you will. Only one has passed testing fases, and is used by the CEO.

And every good manufacturer wouldn’t manufacture if they didn’t have legendaries! We have:

1. Pistola, it basically just allows you to shoot not one, not two, but three projectiles from the mini P.O.D. system. The CEO himself said it was impressive it nade it out of testing.

2. Boom stick, it is the CEO’s favorite out of his favorite type of weapon, you guessed it, the shotgun. It shoots a slug round, reloads three times faster than any other shotgun model. And most importantly, it has a ■■■■■■ axe bayonet.

3. Church, ever since this one was used by aguy who walked under a ladder while looking at a black cat, we feared the worst. He was killed by his teammate who was in a prototype tank while holding this rifle. We feared to pick up the thing, the CEO didn’t. He picked it up and it fired, into the head of an assassin who was hired by the remnants of Hyperion. Everyone says it was luck, I say it’s haunted.

4. The Dash, remember that shield that passed testing, yeah, this is it. He has it and refuses it being taken away to make copies. All the new ones aren’t as effective as that one. He was the one to test it, he ran faster than a runner from a Catch-a-ride. He took a hit from a Torgue rocket launcher and kept going, he was an unstoppable force. Any ways, he named it after this guy called “Garry Dallan” from this show he watched where he ran faster than light.

And for the last thing I ask, the thing which has like, no possible way of happening in the game. Is a vault hunter. The CEO of the company decided to be a vault hunter, so he made another body, wait, I didn’t say he was a robot earlier? Well now you know, and knowing is half the- wait a minute, I’m going off track sorry. He made a vault hunter model for himself and called it “Project Sentinel”. He ran to a bandit camp, we tried to stop him from live testing, he returned an hour later, soaked in blood, holding a decapitated head. He was ready.

So, what do you think? Can you give me an idea on how the machine gun works? Will this be able to be posted, or is it too long? Can I actually get recommendations? Are people still reading this? And that is all I had to say, except think of the weapons, they’re never ending, cleverly designed, and most importantly, they’re fun.

(The Bearer of Pie and Best user of English) #1112

How will the infinite ammo be balanced? Damage compared to other manufactures? High, low, or average fire rate? Accuracy? I’m assuming fast reload

(Ded Orbit Gum ) #1113

Mainly the fact that it uses air as ammo, so if they include no o2 areas (which they probably will) then the weapons are useless without oz kits. Other than that, faster than jakobs reload speed, low accuracy, and ok fire rate.

(self care) #1114

I feel like they shouldn’t work at all in no o2 areas. I feel like they’re going to be pretty low damage in regards to ammo consuming guns but I actually really like this idea.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW) #1115

expanding on the not working in no O2 area’s, give them the “new” hyper small air compressor. Normal atmo means they’re actually unlimited. O2 cans would be an instant refill, similar to a mag but with each round using x amount of the gauge.