What would it take?

What if Gearbox decided from here on out that they would never nerf another battleborn, but instead only buff the lower tier BB to a point where they could perform as well as the meta?

A good example to start with would be Kleese. I have heard repeatedly that he is a very poor choice for higher skill play. If the top tier BB were to stay the same then what would it take to bring him up to their level?

Also, doesn’t have to be Kleese. This question goes for all BB that are out performed by others.

2 Likes

Well I don’t do organized matches because I can’t but if you want my opinion Pendles could use a little buff because from my experience he is incredibly complicated to perform well in competitive. The only use he has is to destroy minions and buildables.

2 Likes

that would probably cause a lot of power creep

3 Likes

What do you mean?

2 Likes

Things keep getting stronger until the entire cast are god mode essentially,

Kleese is an odd one to balance because he by nature uses prep time to attack and sustain himself by placing rifts. No one else does that to nearly the same level as Kleese

Personally I like where he’s at because for me most characters except ghalt aren’t really a threat until later on(if then)

4 Likes

Leave Kleese as he is. He’s a real pain in the dick already in Meltdown, especially if your teammates give up on that lane and he is allowed to set up. Unless you are Orendi or Oscar Mike or something, you waste a lot of time constantly taking down the rifts.

2 Likes

After that buff to his health, where we saw Kleese’s chasing across maps to secure kills, no he doesn’t need anymore buffs.

2 Likes

Kleese, when combined with Ultra’s stationary drones, or Ambra, is a beast. Best mode for him is Incursion IMO

this is now a Kleese balance thread

3 Likes

Bouncy mortars built in and the level 7 helix makes them 10x bouncier!

3 Likes

he needs an entire rework. as he is now he’s pretty useless against teams that know what they’re doing. he’s more of a troll pick in high lvl play than any other character in the game

1 Like

While I don’t entirely disagree with that, I will say that on Incursion he can have his uses in and against the right comps.

However, outside of Incursion (specifically Overgrowth and to a lesser extent Echelon) he’s not very useful for the team.

2 Likes

the only time id see this happening if the enemy team is running full melee but even then it would be easy to dive and cc him out of his little area

But monuments is one of the best Kleese maps!(no really!) The stairs let you hit mortar strikes even without line of sight on the enemy because they have an arc to them

That and there’s 2 great spots to set up that require dedicated effort to budge you from that let you bombard long stretches of the lane

1 Like

Kleese can work around some of the typical “big hit box character” weaknesses with careful rift placement. So long as Ghalt, Whiskey or Thorn aren’t on the enemy team he won’t get ■■■■■■ too hard. And he brings unique benefits to the team that really can’t be mimicked by anyone else. (Example: the ability to instantly restore a Shayne’s 1,000 point shield and cause a massive burst of damage around her in a small AoE every 10 seconds)

But like I said, he’s situational. I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing some love going his way because there are a few characters that completely screw him over.

There’s a lot of great benefits for Kleese on Monuments but he has to deal with the fact that several characters that hard counter him also love that map. Thorn, Whiskey, Ghalt, Marquis all preform well on that map.

It’s similar to how Toby doesn’t see a ton of play on that map compared to other Incursion maps. There are numerous places for him to set up and fire railgun shots like crazy but nearly every character Toby doesn’t want to fight can turn Monuments into their playground.

3 Likes

Yeah, I can see your point

ghalt is the primary offender with thorn being a close second on that list :frowning: marquis and whiskey I tend to nuke on sight so they stay further back and try to attack me while I’m in my rifts

2 Likes

It’s true… :cry:

2 Likes

Considering the absolute BS Kleese used to be able to do I have one word to say to his uselessness: good

Not useless, just situational.

1 Like

this is really the only thing thats kind of exclusive to kleese

thorn

he was never really bs to begin with, it’s just people didnt know how to counter and focus him

1 Like

Not quite the same burst damage as this;

5 Likes