What's better: ASE Anointment or "On throw" for grenade?

I know the ASE adds 50% bonus damage to your gun, but ive noticed the “on throw, 25% bonus dmg” grenade anointment seems to be pretty strong as well. I’ve been wondering if these have different mathz that make the 25% actually better, despite the number seeming to be smaller.

On normal grenades, not withstanding things like Piss, is there a reason to alternate? Or, if not, assuming you can keep ASE fairly constantly procced, which is better?

Comes down to loadout, if i feel lacking in an element ill try to cover it with ASE, if not OGT’s buff covers more

1 Like

They each have a place. I use “on throw” with SNTNL on Zane, but sometimes use ASE if I run clone. For Amara and Fl4k, I always use ASE. I could see Moze going either way. The key for me is which has the most uptime within the context of your build.

2 Likes

Hm so from that perspective, if I can get ASE uptime longer, it’s a better buff? I didn’t know if there were multipliers or something that made the 25% better.

Hm but does the ogt have a bigger bonus in some way? Like does the 25% do something multiplicative while the ASE is additive?

Im not completely sure… ill have to test with fl4k for a proper number, ogt on mindsweeper moze is definately more powerful

1 Like

I found Tina’s Hippity Hopper grenade that had an anointment I’d never seen before that if I remember right boosted grenade, gun, and I think melee damage by a % on throw.

Depends on characyer/build. On ASE is useless on Moze or Zane because too long between AS for moze and Zane you want action skill up as long as possible, not ending. But Amara and Flak (especially Rakk build) are in ASE quite a bit so they get more. But moze and Zane can grenade spam (depending on build) so on throw can be much more frequent

1 Like

You’d probably need bad ASE element choices for the On Throw to outdamage ASE. Generally the main advantage of On Throw is constant uptime whereas ASE is burst damage.

ASE elements fall at the end of the formula and can be cranked to crazy levels. On Throw is a basic gun damage boost.

2 Likes

The way I understand it( someone correct me if i’m wrong) ASE element is always better if you can keep the bonus up pretty reliably(Amara,Moze,Flak?) because it’s just a flat 50% damage onto your gun. If your gun does 100 damage and 50% cryo on your nade and 50% corrosive on your shield then you add 100 damage with a 50/50 split of the elements.

1 Like

Yeah I’ve noticed ASE stacks on all kinds of things, and maybe even seen it accidentally bonus on melee dmg? Either when I use rad/shock/corrosive ASE and use an incendiary gun, my mindsweeper mod makes a rainbow of tiny grenades. It’s pretty cool.

I think the replies have convinced me that ASE is better than OGT for my Moze because I do an autobear uptime build that is almost always getting in and out of the mech.

I did this while testing with a 100% ASE carrier and just absolutely melted cpt traunt. It was really cool, tho the carrier is super situational and not very practical for me

Yeah it can do nutty things on Amara. I think Osterburg(sp?) posted a build that let you actually hit with fire/cor/cryo/nuke/shock with a brainstormer. It was silly.

2 Likes

Hah! My Takedown build does exactly that! It shreds mobs until there is only 1. Then I die because im moze

there are some guns that get added child projectiles when you add more elements with anointments. The carrier is one of them and will do good single target damage with elemental grenade and shield anointments active. The most busted gun like this is the recursion since you get a ridiculous amount of child projectiles ricocheting around - this is part of why recursion became popular with mayhem 4

1 Like

As a Fl4k main I mainly use the ase weapon, action skill, grenade buff with gammaburst or rakk damage builds.
Even though fl4k and Amara’s skills gain elemental damage on ase from the anointment it’s closer to 10 percent than 50, so 25 is a nice lil buff

what? I dunno how is this? My moze sees a boost, but maybe not them?

Meanwhile my Moze grenade of choice is Iron Bear Spawn on Damage. :slight_smile: but I’m running as much bear time as I can

1 Like

I have a cloning maddening tracker with that. It’s so pretty on my bomb build, but it seems to only work once a while? Like it breaks?

1 Like

You have to swap grenades between bear rides. So. I have an epicenter (troy bubble), corrupter, and a HippyHoppy with the anointment and I pop between them. And it’s sooo fun

1 Like