What's your badass rank?

I was curious what kind of badass ranks the players around here have, more specifically the percentage boosts you get to your stats. Also curious if anyone knows if there’s a soft cap. Besides that, how many characters do you have? Here’s mine.

Also I currently have 35 characters of varying levels, though 5 of them aren’t really my characters.

1 Like

Bad quality cause screen is from old video, but that’s probably my actual BAR. I don’t remember exactly how many characters I have but not more than 15 I think.

1 Like

I’ve started more than 150 characters on my Xbox, here’s my current BAR.
As you can see, my highest boost is in Reload speed (I always take that if available, so it’s a 63.2% boost which makes even the slowest reloading gun usable.

3 Likes

my BAR is glitched and is unallocated and disabled.

1 Like

when I switched from PS3 to PS4, my BAR reset (I still had the points corresponding to all the ones I spent on PS3, but I would have had to allocate them all again) and I never allocated any on PS4 so sitting a nice zero BAR…

1 Like

I have around a dozen characters varying widely in level. More Sirens and Mechros than Gunzerkers, cause I never got the hang of Gunzerking…

4 Likes

I’ve probably made like 30 characters and most of them have been through TVHM. Just make sure to use a variety of loot, do a few DLCs, and kill all the things as that’s the point of the game anyway.

However, you’ll probably notice that some of the stats are lopsided.

1. If you purposefully avoid 5 of the stats like I did, the game is bugged to limit your options to max health and all the stats you’ve been purposefully avoiding. This can potentially make health gating harder, but keep in mind that most healing is based off percentages anyway, so if gun damage and grenade damage are the major sources for your healing, you won’t notice the downside. On the upside, equipping a health relic and any Anshin shield becomes hilarious.
  2. Some perks really just aren’t worth it. At higher levels and difficulty, your shield does next to nothing and any bonuses for it would be better off specced in to something else, like reload speed, gun damage, fire rate, or critical hit damage (though avoid what I said in point 1 if you don’t want absurd max health).
  3. The bonuses seem small at first, but they really stack up. When starting a new character now, it’s very amusing that a simple blue rarity Jakob’s sniper will one-shot most on level enemies, regardless of which VH you’re using, even the ones not generally suited for sniping.

Love the BAR system, I think it’s what gives BL2 its longevity because it makes a lot of items and builds become viable later on once you get bored with the more meta gear.

5 Likes

True, borderlands 1 proficiencies were pretty good, but they really nailed it with the BAR. Especially with the ability to turn it off, such a simple thing that could have been missed.

2 Likes

Funny story. I couldn’t remember where to find the screenshot I took of my BAR. I had to do a web search. Helpful solution provided by…me.

Anyways

Obviously I capped at 20%. Zer0 plays with BAR off (oh look where he is…Tannis, I :heart: U) because of shield stripping.
The others may or may not play with it on but 20% is not sorely missed if it’s off.
Number of characters? No ■■■■■■■ idea. Dozens but some had very short lives.
Once I hit 20% I stopped consciously going after challenges but I was pretty diligent for the first generation of toons.

4 Likes

Here’s mine:

Officially I have 23 characters, although at least 6 of those are mules I made by re-uploading from 360 and then emptying their storage. So characters I actually play would be around 12-18 or so. Some of those also started out at level 30, which is why the BAR total isn’t as high as you might think.

I prestiged Axton once, and recently discovered that I had also prestiged Maya, which surprised me a bit - not something I’ve ever really been that concerned with.

4 Likes

Interesting that I seem to be the outlier in specializing (reload speed and fire rate primarily). Spreading the points across the board, to me, weakens the strength of BAR.
Seeing all those 20%+ buffs to melee damage on non-Kreig characters is a bit confusing. Same with grenade damage, except on Axton.

I find the 63% reload and 42% fire rate has much more impact on something I use constantly, vs. a lesser buff on things that I don’t need every battle.
My style I guess.

One thing that’s kinda fun about the Tiny Tina stand-alone is going through BAR again fully knowing what it is, vs. my initial few characters when I was learning the system, to get the most optimized BAR for my style.

2 Likes

But your BAR is the same on all characters. The only differentiation you can make between characters is turning it on or off. And although you were supposed to be able to put the points wherever you liked, we all know how that worked out!

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right, and my confusion was simply because, uhhhh, I only play Maya.

If I actually played another vault hunter I might have figured it out sooner…

5 Likes

Yeah I just figured that it was tamper-proof and would even out eventually anyway, so I spammed.

The 20% is laziness as much as anything. The game obviously prioritizes the low scores so after a while it’s just screw it, melee : take my damn point.

Half of the bonuses do next to nothing at 20% (melee for example adds something like 0.001% to a properly equipped Zer0 or Krieg) but I like the harmony.

It’s the reload that really is welcome. The rest is whatever.

5 Likes

Absolutely. At 63% it makes some guns just blindingly fast, almost unnoticeable reloads.

And I will say fire rate is also worthwhile.

4 Likes