When is the no fuel bug getting fixed?

Because I know there is not enough drugs in the world that one person can take in order to believe you can possibly recreate homeworld 1 without it.

You should also fix frigates and destroyers being entirely made out of squish too…

Yeah, this NOT Homeworld remastered. It’s just an $35 mod for hw2 with broken missions…

3 Likes

There is so enough drugs in the world for that. And then some!

3 Likes

It’s not a bug unless it was unintentional and this was intentional.

However the formations are being looked into so there’s that :smiley:

Digital platform and working multiplayer are good enough for me as a HW1 modding of HW2 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If anything , they’re providing a better modding platform.

2 Likes

Not abug, they were clear well before release fuel will be cut since it is not supported in Homeworld 2 engine.

1 Like

Apart from the Kadesh missions, fuel added very little gameplay and didn’t make much sense.

What kind of fighter only has fuel for ~10 minutes of flight? And how would you balance it against HW2 strikecraft which don’t need it?

Ammo would have made a lot more sense, given most strikecraft use projectile weapons.

Fuel is really not a significant HW1 gameplay feature. I’d much rather Gearbox use their time to make formations work right, and in the long term, maybe try to implement HW1’s ballistic model (and modify strikecraft AI accordingly). Those are both far, far more important than fuel is.

4 Likes

Ya it’s not really needed though I remember in some mp matches it could have been a deciding factor if your ships ran outta fuel… The only thing I personally miss about that are the great voice lines… Fleet get us out of here we’re running dry… Ok that’s it time to start pushing. Etc. etc. It’s just that lot ofcharme was lost Due to the removal.

1 Like

The reason fuel was used in HW1 Classic is because they (Kushan) were not aware of any technology that allowed for fighters to use sub-light engines. It was not until they captured an enemy frigate that they reverse engineered the technology in the drive to create frigates which didn’t need fuel at all.

In fact, the lack of fuel for strike craft breaks the canonicity of the Kushan being exiles who don’t know this information, otherwise they wouldn’t need to bother capturing an enemy frigate to develop frigate ships with sub-light engines. It was only after they arrived on Hiigara that they explored other technology and adapted the drive technology of capital ships into strike craft (in Cataclysm’s case, Somtaaw just got the tech for nothing from the Bentusi).

That’s more to do with the more limited battle chatter variety of Homeworld 2 in general than a lack of fuel. Sure, we won’t ever have the ones that were obviously tied to fuel, but any of the others would easily liven up the battle chatter beyond “this is a cakewalk” “this is a cakewalk” “this is a cakewalk” …

2 Likes

Within the single player campaign your definitely right about the impact fuel has.

But outside of that in the old CPU skirmish and multiplayer match up it could have a pronounced effect on early game strategies’ as investing in early fighter research and sending a massed wave of fighters and bombers without waiting the extra time needed to research build and engage relevant support facilities could give you an early win but equally cost you dearly if your attack could be stalled sufficiently to leave you crews running on fumes.
Conversely the destruction of an attacking forces support vessels whilst on your own doorstep was a solid way to limit the effectiveness of your enemy’s own strikecraft, especially if they had just crossed three quarters of the map to give you a bloody nose. :smile:

As to your point about the ammo, yeah your right, but the problem of raising the spectre of realism in this sort of discussions is the notion that most of the mechanics in games like these fall apart under the mildest of scrutiny, but if I’m honest I kinda like the idea of limiting the strikecraft ammo as long as it could be switched on and off. The more option the better to my mind.

I like you would wish for gearbox to sort out some/all of the gameplay issues that have occurred with the transfer of HW1 into the HW2 engine. I would rather not have to choose which parts get sacrificed on the alter of programming to make the rest work. It can be a bit of a slippery slope that train of thought. If Gearbox were to turn round and say we can fix every thing you’ve said is wrong but you can no loger harvest any more because the multiplayer wont work… would you say go for it ? or is that a bridge to far ? (Obvious extreme hypothetical)

1 Like

I don’t think it’s realistic to expect Gearbox to make every little thing like it was in HW1. Sure I’d like them to, but there’s a lot of things I’d like. I’d like them to rewrite HW2 in general so they can actually make the game as good as it could have been if it hadn’t been rushed. Actually, I’d like that a lot more. I don’t expect it though.

And your experience differs from mine. I’ve very, very rarely been concerned with fuel in an MP game. I just threw a couple repair corvettes in with the group and fuel became a non-issue. this is why I don’t care much about it. Maybe you have more experience than I do.

[quote=“SuperSajuuk, post:8, topic:128257, full:true”]
The reason fuel was used in HW1 Classic is because they (Kushan) were not aware of any technology that allowed for fighters to use sub-light engines. It was not until they captured an enemy frigate that they reverse engineered the technology in the drive to create frigates which didn’t need fuel at all.

In fact, the lack of fuel for strike craft breaks the canonicity of the Kushan being exiles who don’t know this information, otherwise they wouldn’t need to bother capturing an enemy frigate to develop frigate ships with sub-light engines. It was only after they arrived on Hiigara that they explored other technology and adapted the drive technology of capital ships into strike craft (in Cataclysm’s case, Somtaaw just got the tech for nothing from the Bentusi).
[/quote] Why is it that Repair Corvettes and Resource Collectors have unlimited fuel, then? And is the enemy unaware of this tech as well? Because Taiidan fighters have the same fuel limits Kushan ones do.

Your explanation might be headcanon, but it doesn’t fit the actual facts of the game.

2 Likes

There are no real facts in the series, everything contradicts each other :wink:

Repair Corvettes probably have unlimited fuel on board (they have a docking pad for strike craft after all). I can’t answer your question on resource collectors since there’s no explanation for anything :wink:

Yep… How ever in my case I really did like the named voice lines. I’ve got fond memories of those lines. But again probably just because of the fuel back then when you suddenly got a tense feeling of losing due to fuel running out at the wrong time - on the wrong place. So it had a lot to do with fuel after all in the end. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway you’re absolutely right somebody should build a mod mixing the battle chatter of both remastered games together. Perhaps even some lost lines of the original vanilla games. Assuming they are somewhat identical in sound quality.

Regarding the repair corvette and support frigate. I honestly think that they are somewhat useless now. The only time where it truly makes sense having them are on damaged capital ships (cruisers mostly) in my opinion. That’s somewhat sad and should get addressed somehow by making them more useful again probably for all 4 factions at least for mp. And who has to say that the Vaygr and Hiigarans couldn’t get similar official GBX ships. Those would be the first new official Homeworld ships in over a decade. :slight_smile:

1 Like