Where did your handle come from? What does it mean, if it means anything?

That’s the question. I’ve been asked about mine once or thrice, and that’s got me wondering about everyone else. My story, as it appears in a thread on the Borderlands 2 side, is:

“It’s just the default username the forum gave me based on my email. It’s an old email I thought was clever in high school. The thought process went something like this:
If there was a guy named “Paul O’Thead”, and he signed his name with only his first initial it would read “P. O’Thead”, and wouldn’t signing official documents as “pothead” be pretty silly?” Basically, I was just trying to think of a way to identify myself as such without explicitly saying it. It’s pure laziness that lets it live on. On a side note, this was way more talk about it than I had ever expected, and now I am wondering about everyone else’s tags. :thinking:"

Is there an interesting story behind yours, is it linguistically intriguing, or is it as entertaining as watching grass grow? Please share, nothing is too mundane or outlandish.

7 Likes

Pretty hard for a four letter handle to be interesting, but since my name’s Geoff it was common for people to call me Jefe (as in the Spanish meaning “chief/boss”). For the last few years I’ve been assistant manager and now manager of my department, so it’s now even more common for my co-workers to say that.

When I joined I didn’t think of one ahead of time (and I don’t use a pseudonym elsewhere) so it was the first thing that popped in my head.

6 Likes

Well, My original username was Havocbyte which is a combination of one of my nicknames and my interest in IT.

My current username obviously came from the character from Overwatch. But it was also one of my nicknames from a long time ago, Because I used to trace other people’s art when I was learning how to draw.

5 Likes

I like eels and 37 is one of my lucky numbers.

That’s literally it.

6 Likes

I think mine is pretty self-explanatory - especially when paired with my avatar!

7 Likes

Odiscordia is an expression in the dark tower series. Basically meaning the world is tearing itself apart

7 Likes

@Jefe I had assumed that was the intended meaning. You are most certainly a boss on Pandora.
@Tracer Thank you for starting with Havocbyte, I was curious about that one.
@Eel37 That’s as good a reason as any.
@VaultHunter101 You teach the intro level courses about Pandora, so obvious and apropos.
@odiscordia I suspected that, but I’ve been looking for someone to talk about those books with forever and thought it might just be wishful thinking on my part.
Thank you for indulging my nosier tendencies. :grin:

6 Likes

Dude I’m just as big a DT freak as a BL freak. I’ll talk DT all day. Ive done several custom DT art pieces too. You might have seen em. PM me if u wanna nerd

2 Likes

Only in this sense :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

8 Likes

It date a long way back.
The “Doc” part come from being the guy people went to to talk about their problems. Girls about their stupid boyfriend… The eternal “friend zone” guy.
Obviously I love animals and I loved the character. From the old 1967 movie with Rex Harrison. Nothing against Eddy Murphy but it’s just not the same.
The Do-Little is because I am, or try to be. A “voluntary simplicity” person. And let’s be honest. A tad lazy. :wink:

7 Likes

Thank you for stopping by, Doc.
I think the question everyone (or at least me) wants answered is “Where did Siconarf (did I spell that right? It’s been awhile) come from?” :wink:

5 Likes

Lol From the e-mail I used to log in I guess.
It’s François spelled backward. Which is not my name but was an old kid t.v. show title in Québec. That no one remember… I often used it when I need a name quick.

5 Likes

That’s awesome, and I am a little embarrassed that I didn’t pick up on that.

Have you seen Channel Zero: Candle Cove? Because with that context this is just a tad creepy.

6 Likes

The orgin of my user ID seems obvious, given that these are the Gearbox forums; but it’s actually not a Handsome Jack reference. I just made it the same as my PSN ID, which is based off of Handsome Rob (Jason Statham) from the remake of The Italian Job. So, you see, HandsomeCam was around before Handsome Jack, haha.

6 Likes

Piemanlee is something i came up with randomly years ago and it somehow stuck

Best user of English well ask @Kurtdawg13 about that
And bearer of pie just matches my pfp

9 Likes

@Piemanlee Random is the faith we worship in the Church of RNGSUS, so 'tis fitting your name came to you in this fashion. Pie is always welcome in any form, and encouraged in yours, brother. Stop by anytime. :grin:

@HandsomeCam, I am glad that Handsome Jack has been exposed as the thief and shyster we all know him to be. We all knew that he was copying someone more creative, but now we have testimony.

@Arsonist I am somewhat relieved to find out that yours is not a “hiding in plain sight” situation. Although if it was I always aid and abet my friendos. I got you. :wink:

9 Likes

I graduated in 95. At the time, it was pretty common in my neck of the woods to refer to a friend as “dog” or slang “dawg”. It was very common to use a persons first initial or even the abbreviated form of their name and add “dog” at the end. Example: Kurtis aka Kdawg, aka Kurtdawg. that’s been my gamer tag since I can remember. it was created for my xbox 360 and I’ve kept it. 13 is my bday. and when choosing my gamer tag at that time Kurtdawg and Kurtdog were taken. I had to put a number at the end.

7 Likes

This also came up in the BL2 topic that inspired this topic but Lammas is finnish for sheep which I changed to be my online nick back when I first decided to grow long hair back when I was 20 or something and during the phase when it wasn’t really long enough to weight itself down my friends occasionally started calling me a sheep because of how it looked.

In games and multiple other forums it is Combolammas because back when I started using it I was I was in a finnish fighting game IRC channel and Lammas was already in use on the IRC server. So I started putting something in front of it changing it occasionally until I decided to just stick with something fighting game related and it’s been Combolammas since.

I’ve honestly thought about changing it for several years now because it quite often seems to turn into llama or in some worse cases, lameass, especially in spoken language because pronouncing that right ain’t gonna happen for english speakers (or probably much anyone for that matter). Just… never got around to doing that.

8 Likes

Hi. I’m Benedict. Wanna party?

7 Likes