Where is lan in the classic homeworld?

(Tashrinbackup) #1

I’m a fan of homeworld 1. my friends and I played the heck out of it in the past. Sadly as years went by we lost our disks so naturally when we saw homeworld was being given new looks we jumped at the idea.

I got my copy and learned that my powerful ran it fine but my laptop only the classics. Which since my laptop is the same power as some of my friends computers I though ok and went into classic to test lan. Only to find the option is gone.

I know homeworld back then needed game spy for online play, but lan did not, my friend can’t open the beta on his laptop but can play the classic one. Can someone please show me how and where to go to re enable lan for the classic homeworld 1?

And why the heck someone thought it was smart to remove it?

Is Homeworld Classic unmodified from original?
(Bm B) #2

Because of Steam DRM.

Formations, Tactics, Fuel, and Ballistics
(Wasdie) #3

It looks like they stripped out all of the real multiplayer stuff for the classic games. Kind of sad. They probably have a reason for it though.

(Metime00) #4

I can’t think of any legitimate reason to make LAN multiplayer in the classic homeworld impossible. I guess I’ll have to make sure to hold on to my old CD even with the bundled Homeworld. It’s pretty crappy that they’d spend time to modify the original to take features and functionality out, especially working ones.

(Metime00) #5

There are at least a few inexplicable changes to “classic” Homeworld in this bundle. One is the removal of the old working LAN feature, and another is making it so only two of a certain class of ship can be made at a time. Why did they make functional changes to “classic” Homeworld? I guess I’ll always have to keep my old CD around so I can play the game as it was actually originally made, and also to still be able to play multiplayer with it at all!

I like the remastered multiplayer, and I really like what they did to add to the game, but there’s no reason to take out the existing, still perfectly working features from the original, the point was to release a completely untouched version! If they could tweak some mechanics and gut multiplayer, why didn’t they have time to add widescreen support?

(D Kesserich) #6

Just tested this, and building in Classic works exactly the same as it does from the original disc version that I just installed, you can definitely build more than two ships from the same class simultaneously.

There’s no excuse for them stripping out LAN and not adding widescreen into Homeworld: Classic, though.

(Metime00) #7

Oh I just remembered a confounding variable. In Homeworld classic in the remastered version I was building using a carrier, and in my original Homeworld I was using the mothership. I had been building frigates. Now I must go back to testing.

Thanks for calling me on that, there are enough problems without false ones being called such!

Edit: I tested it again, with a carrier this time. In Homeworld classic I can’t build an ion cannon frigate with my carrier while I’m building assault frigates and support frigates, but in the original Homeworld I can

(D Kesserich) #8

This seems really bizarre to me, so I did some poking around and it looks like Gearbox built Classic off of the 1.06 codebase, which was only ever released publicly as the Raider Retreat promo demo.

According to this ancient RelicNews thread, the build limitations were part of that version, but I just tried the version of Raider Retreat that’s hosted over on ModDB, and I was still able to build three frigates simultaneously with a carrier, though the ModDB version says it’s 1.051, not 1.06, so I’m not sure if there’s something else going on.

Is Homeworld Classic unmodified from original?

That’s seriously strange.

I wonder if we could get a comment from the developers on this. What version it is, and what changes have been made, if any.

(Tashrinbackup) #11

BmB10h
Because of Steam DRM.

That is no excuse, I got many games on steam that can use offline lan and steam does not cause any trouble.

I can’t think of any legitimate reason to make LAN multiplayer in the classic homeworld impossible. I guess I’ll have to make sure to hold on to my old CD even with the bundled Homeworld. It’s pretty crappy that they’d spend time to modify the original to take features and functionality out, especially working ones.

I got no idea honestly, Another user here says they took the code from a essentially a demo and edited more then a few thing and now call it ‘classic homeworld’

This seems really bizarre to me, so I did some poking around and it looks like Gearbox built Classic off of the 1.06 codebase, which was only ever released publicly as the Raider Retreat promo demo.

According to this ancient RelicNews thread1, the build limitations were part of that version, but I just tried the version of Raider Retreat that’s hosted over on ModDB, and I was still able to build three frigates simultaneously with a carrier, though the ModDB version says it’s 1.051, not 1.06, so I’m not sure if there’s something else going on.

Are you telling me that they just took more or less a demo and edited it a bit to try and call it the classic homeworld?

Somebody added the multiplayer back onto HW2 classic (link), although I’m not sure if it’s working as I haven’t tested to see if it works yet. Considering that, I’d assume it could maybe be done with HW1.

(Tashrinbackup) #13

Really hope so.

(Tashrinbackup) #14

I am pleased to report, it works, got my laptop and desktop into a game using the lan feature. Now just need lan for home world 1 classic.

Somehow I doubt gearbox will even bother making lan a option them selfs, would take some attention away from there beta.

(D Kesserich) #15

Not exactly. The balance changes were in the source code, but Relic was only ever able to implement them into a demo, not a patch. Gearbox was presumably working with the most recent version of the source code when they made the Classic edition, so those balance changes were already in place when they pulled out the multiplayer code, and the old CD-Key DRM, updated the OpenGL version (presumably, since Classic runs fine on the most up to date AMD drivers, but my disc version won’t work in OpenGL mode on the same ones) and compiled.

(Tashrinbackup) #16

when they pulled out the multiplayer code,

That’s my biggest beef with the gearbox’s work on the classics right now. As its preventing me from enjoying the game with my friends who have weaker coms then my own and can’t run remastered.

(elminster) #17

Yea I just realized that they removed this as well. If they were going to be making such a substantial change to how the “classic” version works then they least they could have done is mentioned this somewhere prior to launch.

I agree, the unannounced and unneeded removal of a feature in the classic version, which was advertised as untouched, is quite unfortunate.

For good luck, we have the relic source code ourselves… so, someone can make a patch with the homeworldSDL project binaries for Gearbox’s flawed HW1 Classic release, re-adding these features.

Someone should suggest that in the homesource forums.

(Tashrinbackup) #19

Yea I just realized that they removed this as well. If they were going to be making such a substantial change to how the “classic” version works then they least they could have done is mentioned this somewhere prior to launch.

Agreed, had I known they where going to make changes to the classic homeworld I would have most like not pre-ordered. And company’s wonder why there customers can’t trust them.

I agree, the unannounced and unneeded removal of a feature in the classic version, which was advertised as untouched, is quite unfortunate.

For good luck, we have the relic source code ourselves… so, someone can make a patch with the homeworldSDL project binaries for Gearbox’s flawed HW1 Classic release, re-adding these features.

Someone should suggest that in the homesource forums.

Agreed, and that’s not including the excuse for a remake of homeworld 1 (its a mod for homeworld 2 and advertised as a full game)

That’s good news though there. Gearbox clearly had to mess with things they had no reason to mess with. makes a account there to post the suggestion I’d ask the makers to fix this, but the makers are gearbox, and… for some reason I got no faith that they’ll correct there own mistakes.

(Metime00) #20

Plus they said in this interview that it wouldn’t be touched at all like two weeks ago

Chris Faylor: There’s a couple of other notes too. We had to make sure that the classics were out there no matter what, as untouched as they could possibly be for the sake of history. The untouched classics, the only changes that we’ve made is to enable them to run on modern operating systems.

It’s quite sad.

(Tashrinbackup) #21

Wow… just wow. Talk about lying through there teeth.

My respect for gearbox continues to lower everyday. Removing features, changing stats, lazy remake of homeworld 1 remastered (its a mod for homeworld 2 remaster or maybe just a different campaing only really)…