Where's the Kelvin love?

I mean, his name is a joke in of itself (ice golem, degrees Kelvin is how you can find absolute zero). I dig Kelvin even if I can’t play him for many matches in a row. He’s a good, balanced tank, but I’ve literally only run into others playing him MAYBE 3 times (only once in PvP). I realize he’s not the most interesting or fun character to play, but he seems to be an extremely viable tank/utility. What do you all think?

He is my main tank but I only really use his sublimate ability + autoattack. This might have something to do with why not many people use him.

Chomp just takes too long to cast. The delay to activate it is compounds with lag to the point where it becomes almost impossible to hit with it, let alone land a killing blow to gain permanent health. Usually by the time it finishes activating on an enemy, my teammates have already killed them or they’ve run away.

His ultimate is even worse. It has longer delay than chomp and extremely hard to aim in the middle of a fire fight, especially on a console.

In my opinion all Kelvin’s abilities should be instacast like sublimate. The whole point of using Kelvin is to chain abilities one after the other to gain shield from permafrost. The delayed and hard to aim abilities just make this process frustrating when it could be so fun with just a couple tweaks.

It would be great if they changed his fiddly ultimate into a non-stop chomp for several seconds, like an icy pacman. Now THAT would be awesome!

I must also mention that there are also lots of good things about him. Sublimate is great, one of my favourite abilities in the game. Fantastic initiator or escape. It’s just frustrating to start with such a great initiator then be let down by the slow casting of his other abilities.

I think you’re thinking about Chomp the wrong way, I’m not saying I don’t like the idea of an instant cast on it, but from what it sounds like you’re intentionally sitting on Chomp in the middle of a fight in order to try and finish the enemy with it and get the health bonus.

This is completely the wrong way to do it. You want to be Chomping as often as possible. It is your highest burst damage move, and it gives you shields too, you cannot retreat to get a shield back and you don’t have a lot of lifesteal available to you, so it is what keeps you alive.

I’d say only hold back on an immediate Chomp if you’ve got them on the ropes and need to keep it ready for that last burst to finish them when they try to run.

You can get the permanent health from a number of different sources. Minions grant you the least but are autokilled by it, so you are guaranteed to get health off of every wave. Mercs will grant you more and it isn’t difficult to get the timing right on those. Don’t get too hung up about trying to snag it from player kills.

3 Likes

I generally try to use chomp to finish standard PvE enemies. It’s not that hard to do when soloing PvE you just whittle down health with autoattack and then chomp. The permanent health really helps and I think it’s worth it.

But add in a few players and that becomes a lot harder. Which is a pity as the best part of chomp is the permanent life gain IMO. Maybe they could add if enemy is killed within one sec of chomp you still get gain?

For PvP I try constantly using it for permafrost etc. Problem is as it takes a few seconds to cast, if it misses (which it usually does for me due to lag) I just wasted time I could have used spamming his AoE autoattack which is basically guaranteed to hit.

Personally I’d rather hit 3 guys smashing the ground than maybe hit one for probably the equivalent total damage and a small amount of shield. It just feels clunky and is too unforgiving. Like the ultimate, I just don’t find it a fun ability to use. Which is a pity as overall I love the character.

As someone that is starting to main Kelvin I could use some pointers. A team is only as strong as it’s weakest player, and in the past few games I have been preforming rather sub-par, especially on incursion. The last match I played the enemy team’s Marquis would immediately start sniping me whenever I would go out to try and chomp minions, or flank around the side tunnels, and due to Kelvin’s size and relatively slow speed, I was more or less confined to my team’s base.

I would like to get better with Kelvin since I really enjoy his look and design, and his gameplay is not too difficult to grasp at the basic level, but I can’t help but feel like I am doing something wrong playing as him.

I know that Kelvin is not a tank in the same way as Boulder is, but I feel that I have greater chance of getting into a fight under withering fire, and then surviving as him than I do with Kelvin. The past few games I have played, Marquis and Thorn players have loved sniping at me, and I can’t think of how to counter that effectively without wasting my sublimate to dive in on them.

The lack of any range attacks is what is really throwing me off on Kelvin’s play style, at least with Boulder I have axe throw, but with Kelvin I feel like any sort of dedicated ranged fire, just shuts me down, and I can’t contribute to my team; leaving them a man down in any engagements they find themselves in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do in scenarios like these? I would like to learn how to play Kelvin properly, and I am positive that I am missing something with how I should approach these types of engagements.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

I don’t play Kelvin too often, but when I do I typically invest heavily in health regen. He may seem to move slowly, but he’s actually quite fast. He’s no Thorn or Rath, but he’d moves way faster than characters like Montana. Whenever engaging the enemy (especially players) I use his off attack for the knockback and AoE. He’s got decent survivability, but it’s always good to have a Miko nearby and to save your sublimate for a quick escape.

I also invest in attack speed, but I’m not sure I’d recommend that.

I take it you’re referring to Incursion on Overgrowth, and overall I would agree: it’s Kelvin’s weakest position to play in.

At first I typically take a supporting position on that mode - I gather shards, secure buildables, make Elites and secure Mercs. In the last one, Kelvin is actually great - it’s unusual for more than one player from the enemy team to go after a single merc camp so he doesn’t have to worry about saving Sublimate for an escape unless they get backup (or if someone’s trying to beat you to the punch and stand on the platform to summon), Chomp will get you a nice amount of bonus health for finishing the mercs off. I also don’t stray too far from the middle as being able to jump in and help with wave clear or CC on a big push from the enemy team is crucial.

Once the team has secured the forward position in the middle zone, I shift back to a more proactive role. By then I have several levels under my belt, probably a gear piece or two activated and some stacks of health so I’m pretty durable. At that point, I am dedicated to clearing that sniper’s nest and keeping the stinger turrets down. I can usually barge around the corner and reach the stairs without too much difficulty so long as my teammates are keeping the heat on and my timing is right, at which point one of two things happen:

1. At least 1 other player chases me up the stairs to try and save whoever is harassing from the nest. If it’s just one extra player, I pretty much play it the same way I do point no. 2, depending on who came after me. If it’s more than one, it’s time to hit as many as I can with Sublimate before dropping off back into the middle zone. Depending on how easy it was to nail them all, I cancel Sublimate and try to push one of the stunned players out of the nest before that. This means half the team is stuck in one, fairly crowded, easily targeted spot - I usually call it out before it happens and any teammates with AOE get some nice damage and probably a kill in.

2. Nobody chases me because they’re confident the player in the nest can bail themselves out against crappy ol’ Kelvin. Time to push that player out into the middle, if I don’t kill them outright in the process. From there I can either chase down after them to try and secure the kill for myself (this is 100% what I’ll do if only one player chased me up the stairs), or I can stay up for a bit longer, smash the Stinger turret, and often I will turn around, drop an Ice Wall just past the corner as best I can, and Sublimate out while hitting whoever is on the wrong side of it.

On some occasions, on point no. 2, nobody else notices I went into the nest. Probably because I’m playing against a team with no mics and the nested player didn’t call me out. In those situations I turn into an icy little gremlin and run about smashing their stuff and stealing their shards. The whole team won’t chase me and whoever does can get hit with a Sublimate as I flee back to the nest escape route.

After that first Sentry is down, Kelvin’s options expand a lot. My problems with playing him on that map were largely centered on figuring out what to do with myself early on.

Thanks for the tips, and yes its’s Overgrowth that I have a problem with as Kelvin. I’ll definitely have to take that supportive stance more often in the beginning of the game with him.

I need to figure out what gear I want to bring on his load out now though. Right now, I have CC reduction and damage reduction, but I’m sure I could have something better.

Also, should I only be using Kelvin’s left trigger attack (Xbox player) instead of his right trigger one against enemy players? I’ve seen lots of mentioning about those two basic attacks of his, but I have personally never noticed any sizable push back on the ground pound, outside of getting that one mutation at level 6 or 7.

If you want single target pushback, quick melee is always better.

If there’s a bunch of bodies blocking your way, or you’re dealing with a smaller, faster character that’s hard to keep a bead on, that’s when you ground pound, as it hits a larger area. Basically just use it to keep damage going in between your normal strikes if you are having trouble hitting.

Otherwise your normal combo is fine, just always stop it to make a Chomp whenever the cooldown is up. Chomp’s not a skill you keep off cooldown, until you need a bunch of damage to kill someone before they try to run.

Check out my thread for some Kelvin gear tips. I’m still experimenting with some of this stuff and would totally like to see what other people come up with, but currently what I’ve been posting in the thread is what I feel are Kelvin’s best gear attributes.

Cool, I’ll have to give that thread a look.

Well I played as Kelvin all night yesterday after work and finished up the last of his lore challenges. After six straight hours as him though, I don’t think I got any better :disappointed:

I know that Incursion Overgrowth isn’t his strong suit, but even with focusing on shard collection and thrall/minion gathering I was still averaging 0/6 a game with maybe 1 or 2 assists. I don’t know why I can’t get Kelvin’s higher level play to click with me. Even with items that give me a recharging shield (which is awesome for an Eldrid character) feel like they evaporate in a matter of seconds. I guess it didn’t help that I had about 5 games in a row against a Galieliea/Miko combo, but still, the rate at which I melted as Kelvin was a little disheartening.

I finished his lore and got the trophee, I will be a master of Kelvin in 3 levels !
( and he’s unbeatable !!)

I don’t play much of incursion or meltdown, because if I don’t have a group and cant talk to the other players, chances are we’re going to lose. Especially in meltdown.

If you are playing capture though, my fave gametype, I can tell you that a sniper vs kelvin is already dead. Depending on how many ways I have to get over to the sniper, I’ll either sneak up on them, or if I really need to, sublimate up and stun them. At this point, use your right trigger melee to deal loads of damage to them as they run, and if you can in the right situation, try ground pounding them a little to get them stuck in corners (don’t try this if you don’t think you can, it may hit them forward enough that they can get away). Make sure you keep chomping and they will die, even if no teammate is helping you, the kill is basically guaranteed. The important thing is to keep chomping the enemy while you fight them as much as you can to keep yourself alive with that bonus shield, as well as to deal a lot of burst damage to them.

Basically, you really can do that to anyone. If someone tries to flee in a group fight in capture (like a 3v3 near a capture point) Sublimating and chasing them down with a stun is the best move. If you can reach them though and you know that, do not sublimate until you are closer. If you notice right away and want to freeze the whole fight before you go to kill the flee-er, sublimate as fast as possible. I think the +3 second after each hit really helps with this, however, the mutation for cooldown reduction is really nice as well.

The nice thing is most rath players and galilea players will try to 1v1 you, and they can’t. Well… they can, if they’re well timed, but usually they can’t. Activating sublimate doesn’t make you invincible to everything, and you can get stunned, at least during the first seconds of activation, so good players will shield throw you or knock you up in time to make you waste thatt sublimate.

It’s good to remember that kelvin is something between a surviving dps like shayne and aurox and a tank. He starts off like S&A but as time goes on he absorbs more damage I think. He is NOT a damage soaker though, and should never be played like one.

Also, remember that galt is your worst enemy. Stealthed stun mines WILL stun you in sublimate, and he deals a lot of damage. Basically, if he stuns you with one after you try sublimating, you are dead. If he doesn’t, you had the damage over him, and he should die.

hes one of my faves, miko and kelvin are my main characters atm, looking for a third… used to think isic was it but neh, miko and kelvin are def now settled in my predetermined 3 main prospect. ^^

Just picked him up, and loving him so far. Actually really shocked at how much i love playing as him. He isnt my type of character but by god is he strong and tanky.

Just a bit more practice to time his stuns and i will be happy to use him all the time!

and his Map traversal is insane XD

Currently debating on gear for him, like i feel cool down reduction is needed a little for him, maybe attack damage + Attack speed? but cant decide on the third? should it be more damage on attacks or skills?? or more health regen?

This thread here: Kelvin Gear Discussion Should give you a good explanation of gear choices. I found that a +shield recharge item of around 34 will let you begin charging shields just like characters of other factions. I would highly suggest shooting for establishing a shield first as Kelvin needs time to become tanky in matches. That item I mentioned is a simple grey item so it costs next to nothing to activate. After that I shoot for max shield items and either attack speed or run speed. Run speed is excellent for early matches as it allows you to engage and disengage quickly. Once you lvl enough you can recharge sublimate quickly enough that if wont matter but early on it definitely helps. Attack speed works very well too and will yield results the entire match. Cool down reduction might be good early on but chomp has a very low cool down to begin with and once you have leveled enough you can chomp to reduce the cool down on sublimate which makes a cool down reduction not as important. Last but not least are +skill damage gear. A nice piece of gear that has a static boost to this gear as well as a proc’d boost (on minion death etc) can set up some brutal chomps and even boost sublimates damage to help secure kills on fleeing characters. Hope this helps!

1 Like

I honestly love playing as Kelvin. He’s my favorite go-to tank. He does crazy amount of damage and can dip out of battle really quick when you need to. It’s pretty bumming that not many people use Kelvin that much because they’re honestly missing out. I once finished an Incursion mode in Overgrowth in less than 10 minutes with him. 10/10 needs more Kelvin love.

1 Like

Totally not my type of character (or so I initially thought), but I greatly enjoy being him. I try my best to support my teammates with him, taking all the damage I can and stun our enemies so my teammates can either take them out or go for whatever objective is going on (I play almost exclusively on Capture, so collectors are the goal usually). Using the stun effect on Sublimate and his Ice Wall is extremely helpful for getting those crucial extra hits on enemies, or keeping them from fleeing. Plus, he is just an awesome character. Giant Ice golem that is pretty light hearted, even in taunts as nothing is very showboating or crude, more just fun and funny. Hell, I get a tad nervous if I ever see him on the enemy team, as I hope they can’t utilize him like I can, or worse, even better than me.

You can have absolute zero in other temperature scales :wink:

But yeah, the name is clearly an allusion to ice or low temperatures…

I think he is a high learning curve character and therefore other tanks are easier to play. He doesn’t have a single high damage move that’s easy to execute (chomping another Battleborn is tricky) and he has very limited range in his attacks, other than sublimate, which often needs to be saved for an escape. I just think people look elsewhere for tanks, but I’ve played with and against some good Kelvins (usually paired with a Miko). Any character in this game is viable if played right with the right team, but some are higher learning curve than others, and I would put Kelvin in that category.

Not at all, Chomp’s hitbox is quite forgiving, they have to be at the utmost extremes of your screen for it to not hit.

Secondary attack, my friend, it outranges most melee character’s main attacks and if you’re up against someone like Mellka or Caldarius who want you to chase them but still be quite close, you can actually nick them a few times by using it while chasing.