Which Character Are you Going to Play First? Take two (informed choice)

“Siren. Dibs. My Siren’s name is Brick, and she is the prettiest.”

5 Likes

I main Athena in TPS. Her Ceraunic Storm Tree is awesome with the Celestial Gladiator class mod.

I shall forever be a Zane main. But then our lovely and bodacious siren Amara. Then tank girl Moze with her mech. And then finally, the bot with the badass beasts, FL4K.

1 Like

I’m a little torn between Zane and Fl4k, but right now Fl4k has me ecstatic! Nice combination of damage boosts, healing boosts, some damage mitigation, and the ■■■■■■■ permanent pet! That and the Hunter Skill builds have me super giddy. Granted, a bunch of kill skills aren’t the most efficient, but god dammit, I want to be an intergalactic hunter!

It will be Zane for me. Love that he can use two action skills and how his skills synergies! But he still feels a bit underpowered…

1 Like

In the thick of it, he probably is, but he’s got tricks to get out of the way if you find yourself piled on.

1 Like

That’s the beauty of Zane’s character, and why I think he’s awesome. Compared to the abilities of his companions, his own skills seem underwhelming. FL4K is robot that can summon mighty beasts for pets, Moze is a soldier that can digistruct a giant robot mech, and Amara is a superhero with super powers. Why I think Zane is awesome, he’s still just as dangerous as the rest, possibly even more so. The idea behind Zane, what one man can do with the right set of skills, tools, and motivations. His playstyle is meant to be multiple skills working in tandem, essentially multitasking your resources, and applying them where you think necessary. It’s on the fly strategy, something that makes him very powerful, and very dangerous if you underestimate him.

1 Like

Well, the fact is, using “he” or “man” has long been used as a neutral in English; it IS inclusive, not exclusive (as defined by context).

What has basically happened is that (some parts of) society has invented another way of being gender-neutral by adopting “their” to refer to entities without referring the sexual status or orientation. For some of us this grates on our sense of proper usage as it’s a plural term being used for a singular entity.

Which isn’t to say it is fundamentally wrong; it isn’t. Word meaning is defined by usage, not rules, there is no “cast in stone” way of speaking any language.

My personal problem isn’t so much with changing my habits as it is with catering to a belief that we need to be ultra-scrupulous in how we speak. While I fully support accepting all humans in the condition they define themselves without bias, trying to please those that are simply looking to be offended at every turn isn’t healthy for our society, and ultimately leads to more of a sense of division amongst various groups. It fosters MORE of an “us vs. them” mentality than it promotes inclusivity.

I’ll refer to FL4K using “their” myself; I’m doing my best to accept the change in English despite having 60+ years of speaking in a way that has been correct for thousands of years. I just hope that anyone that might be offended by the use of “he” will try to understand that it isn’t an exclusive term, and work not to be offended unless obvious derogatory meaning is present in the language of the speaker. I’d also ask anyone resistant to using “their” instead of “he” to accept that our language can and will change and any rule we lived by isn’t immutable, and to make sure there is no personal bias actually present in their beliefs. Refusing to change the way you speak because you DON’T want to be inclusive isn’t going to help us all get along better in the long run.

8 Likes

Probably gonna play Fl4k first, i play a lot of solo, as well as co op and perma pets he seems like a great choice for some solo play. Im hoping his customisation is really good. He has a lot of potential to look awesome in different colours and materials and outfits etc.
Moze will be my second character shes just awesome looking design wise, and has a mech. win win.

I stopped reading as soon as you said “proper usage”.

They as a singular pronoun has been in use longer than You has been in use as a singular addressable.

Your argument is as moot as it is ill-informed.

Edit: having read the rest. Thank you. But also, my point remains that saying “they as a singular pronoun isn’t right” is not a valid point.

I’m stoked to play Zane co-op and Amara solo.

3 Likes

Back.

On.

Topic.

2 Likes

And so are you. You’re an intelligent being made of meat. FL4K is an intelligent being made of metal.

Honestly, if they make a few changes to Amara’s tree to display her strengths aside from elemental chaos more obvious… her skill tree just feels a tad underwhelming compared to the others. The others gain several skills that increase damage by ludicrus amounts and Amara doesn’t have a lot of that type of thing compared to the others. Her trees feel more reliant on CC. Sure, she has a great amount of survivability through HP and damage reduction, but so do the others (especially Moze and FL4K in bursts).

I keep flip-flopping on who I wanna play first because Amara has such a cool personality and style, but the other’s skill trees speak to me so much more.

1 Like

FL4K, absolutely. I’ve been excited about them from the start and just kinda getting more and more excited as things got revealed. Robot? Nonbinary? Ability to go invisible? Tons of critical hit skills?? YOU CAN PET THE SKAG?!? This is like everything I love rolled into one vault hunter. So psyched.

I’m trying so hard not to derail but omg if this is true this has made my week. I’m so happy. Representation is so freaking rare and I am very very psyched to play as FL4K.

I’ll play as the others eventually. Thinking Zane then Moze then Amara.

3 Likes

Honestly. I am so excited for Amara it’s Unreal (4). Like, those chaotic DoTs are what I’m into for sure. Just light one enemy on fire and shock another and then a whole crowd just bites it while you’re shutting one down? It’s beautiful. Her potential lies in her ability to spread damage around and also focus in when necessary. I am stoked to keep switching her from a chaos elementalist to an elemental punch bowl.

3 Likes

Well as a hunter irl, FL4K is just a thing I like. Old huntin’ buddy (pet) in the backwoods ( or planet ) with a reliable gun and the ammo to feed it well. A shotgun for close in work and a pistol or smg for those special occasions when the sniper runs low.

I’m excited to play them all, but I’m going Zane first. He reminds me a lot of Timothy (Jack’s doppelganger) from the presequel, and I absolutely loved playing Timothy. 2nd comes Fl4k because they’ll have insane one-shotting potential due to fade away and their loads of crit buffs. I don’t really know who I’ll play after that between Moze and Amara, I’ll wait for the game to come out before I make my decision.

2 Likes

I’m probably going to go Moze first, to be honest. FL4K is also pretty high up on my list because SungWon Cho voices him. Which I know is probably a silly reason to play a character but have enjoyed his stuff for a while. I more than likely will play all of them in the end though, but Zane will probably be the very last one.

Hey, people have chosen characters for stranger reasons than the voice actor. I chose a character once just because (according to the character profile) they liked camo (which I happen to like.)

1 Like

Is that the English voice actor? His IMDB credits make it seem probable. I can say that I definitely liked what I heard in the character trailer.

Yep, it’s the English VA. He confirmed it on his Twitter a couple of months ago. @ProZD is his twitter handle.

1 Like