Who is superior: The Taiidan Empire Or Republic?

Like @EatThePath said in the Lego Ship Master Thread (Many Pictures!) thread:

2 Likes

I believe that the Taiidan Empire are superior compared to the republic because they exiled a whole planet of people and stopped them coming back to it for 4000 years. They also controlled most of the galaxy with a massive alliance with the turanic raiders and stopped the khar-selim from reaching the outer Kharak System. Their only problem was the Bentusi helping the Kushan and selling them new technology. Their downfall was their own civil war and the death of the emperor that caused the Republicans to be created.

The republicans did have their own problem with them not being Allies with the turanic raiders and them being against the Imperial faction from the Taiidan that were sent away from Hiigara and took over their own part of the galaxy. They were not very successful in the beast war and most of their ships were beaten or infected by the beast llike the Nomad moon project that actually was turned against them.

2 Likes

You have a good point. The Republic was nearly beaten in the beast war but it does not say what happened afterwards.

1 Like

It’s a question that’s very open ended, and hard to answer with the information provided. If the question is who would win in a fight at the height of their power, the answer is almost certainly going to be the empire. I don’t think the empire we saw in HW1 was at the height of their power, based on everything we know about the Mad Emperor’s actions I tend to believe that the peak of imperial fighting power was before his time. A paranoid maniac might pour a lot of resources into bulking up the military, but he’s probably not going to manage those resources very well or have a very high quality leadership staff. The Republic doesn’t seem like it ever had time to really put itself together properly, so never would have had a chance to match those heights.

If you’re interested in less military matters, it’s hard to really say much. We know basically nothing about what living under either government was like. You could argue that the three to four thousand year stability of the empire is a point in it’s favor, but it’s entirely possible that there were multiple dynasties, civil wars, and whole govermental reforms in that time. The ‘roman empire’ went through quite a few shapes and had a lot of turmoil in it’s time, and different people will even put different endposts for it. It’s possible that had time gone on, the Taiidani Republic would simply be seen as the latest continuation of the Empire, if they’d succesfully put down all the imperialists. But we don’t really know, as via HW2 they were taken down early by someone with access to space magic. The same space magic that felled the empire, apparently. So we don’t really know how long they’d have lasted had that not happened.

1 Like

So the Republicans “disappeared” when the Homeworld 2 era began. Whether they were destroyed or left the galaxy no one knows.

2 Likes

There’s a line in the early HW2 narration that suggests the Vaygr already conquered or otherwise absorbed the Taiidani before the start of the game.

1 Like

But they did not say what happened to the Republicans though.

2 Likes

it doesn’t specify, it just says “…the Taiidani have risen under a new leader…”. Without any qualifiers, that implies to me all Taiidani, not specifically republic or loyalist.

1 Like

So we could suppose that the Republicans joined or taken by force by the Vaygr.

2 Likes

We could. To me, the suggestions of Hiigara controlling lots of territory in the glimpses of maps seen in HW2 only really makes sense if large chunks of the Taiidani population actually are under Kushan rule now. It’s possible that means the Republican government collapsed and Hiigara picked up the pieces. But that’s pure speculation.

1 Like

Well most of the things about the Republic are made up or pieced together to make what we think like what happened to them or why there is no mention of them in Homeworld 2. I believe they “began” in Cataclysm so we don’t know if they were left out simply because Relic did not make Cataclysm and they did not want to mention a lot of information about this.

2 Likes

I feel I ought to weigh in on this…

I am attracted to the Taiidan Republic not because of their might, but out of curiousity, because of the lack of information we are given about them. They seem to be going strong in Cataclysm, but we don’t know much about them, then they have disappeared (along with the Imperials) by HW2. @Norsehound’s version of history has the Republic failing fairly quickly, but I was never really too attracted to that story. I lean more towards the HWAT idea that the Taiidan Republic is a major power at the beginning of the HW2 era, certainly more so than Hiigara, which after all is just a bunch of escaped exiles…

Ultimately I loved the Taiidan ship designs and I want an excuse to play Taiidan as the “good guys”. So the Taiidan Republic is a good way of salvaging the coolness of the Taiidan without the downside of having a tyrannical mad emperor.

Taiidan Republic mod story:

1 Like

Aye, we think a diverse setting with multiple powerful states makes for more fun. In the HW@ context the question of who would win in a fight, if you take the Taiidan Republic of 115 AHL vs the Taiidan Confederate Systems of 115 AHL(Which would be fair enough, even though they’re not a continuation of the imperial goverment or dynasty, they do have an empress), the answer is decidedly unclear.

3 Likes

The empire was massive.
The empire has fallen.

So it all depends on what is your definition of superior. Alive or legendary?

3 Likes

I like to imagine that the Taiidan Republic, alongside other races affected by the Beast War, were absorbed by the Hiigarans. There’s a lot of missing information, a lot of speculation, and by the time of the Vaygr War I’d imagine that members of the Galactic Council either surrendered to the protection of Hiigara, surrendered to the tyranny of the Vaygr Crusades, or were destroyed/displaced into enduring an Exodus out of defiance.

As to who is superior prior to the Homeworld 2 era?
I’d like to think that the Republic exited the Beast War as the stronger party, able to receive aid from both Hiigara and the Bentusi Exchange, as well as not being embargoed by the rest of the Galactic Council. (Which, if I recall, the Imperialist Taiidan Remnant were?)

Prior to the Beast War?
I’d think that the ITR was the stronger opponent, keeping the majority of the Empire’s military under their control after the rebellion, especially to the degree which would allow them to make several incursions (albeit failed) to Hiigara’s own Proximity Sensor Network.

4 Likes

Long live the empire! =) Taiidan Empire all the way.

1 Like

:acmaffirmative:

1 Like

The question here is very dependent on time, as many have already stated. The Republic and the Empire proper didn’t really exist at the same time… really the Republic is probably simply the largest and most functional chunk of the Empire after it fell apart. I expect that the Republic, during the Cataclysm era, may not have been as big or as powerful as the entire Imperial remnant, but being that it WAS all one unified state, it had a distinct advantage over the “ITR” which was likely fragmented pretty badly under multiple Taiidan ‘warlords’.

There’s plenty of evidence that the Republic, even if it had absorbed less than half the fallen Empire, was more relevant than the Imperial Remnant:

1. Cataclysm reported that Imperial attacks anywhere near as deep as the Hiigaran system were pretty rare; evidently the events in M01 were fairly extraordinary. So the Republic evidently enjoyed a fairly stable control zone with only occasional attacks of any real significance… and at that, ones that a handful of Exiles with only 15 years worth of military existence on the galactic stage could repel.

2. The Republic seemed to stand on its own. Hiigara is their only known ally, and as previously mentioned, they would have been a pretty minuscule one at that. The ITR on the other hand relied heavily on their ongoing friendship with the Turanic Raiders, and apparently, with neither of them being the clearly dominant in the partnership. Cata’s manual, if I remember it well, suggested that some of the Remnant basically fell so low as to become hired guns FOR the Raiders, and they seem to have had some financial reliance on them if nothing else, judging by the Cruiser they had sold to the Raiders we saw in M04. It’s their positioning alongside the Turanics that reveals the most about the state of the leftover Imperials, I think. There aren’t named Imperial states at this time, only what was collectively referred to as the “Bandit Kingdoms”, which is as much a nod to the Turanics as to the fractured warlord militias, if not more so.

So anyway, in the only era that the Republic is known to exist, were they greater than the Empire? Heck no! Not any more than three slices of pizza is greater than the whole pie. But were they stronger than the Imperial Remnant of the same era? I think so.

1 Like