Whoever is responsible for balancing at GBX, watch this

Dear folks at Gearbox, this is currently the only Takedown run using only the Lob. It was done using arguably one of if not the most powerful builds in the game and it took Moxsy almost 2 hours to complete.
Watch it, watch it for the entire hour, fourty-seven minutes and fifty-one seconds and then tell me: Don’t you think the Lob might need some improvements?

1 Like

I feel like if you did this with each of the Eleventy Billion Guns in this game you’d get a similar two hour result (or worse) with all but a handful of them.

1 Like

If it takes an Amara that long to do it then the weapon is truly hopeless but seriously too many weapons to balance some are gonna be horrible. I doubt gbx is gonna waste the time trying to balance them all unless they are overperforming of course.

1 Like

The lob is an excellent weapon…to sell for cash! (Quoted moxsy). :wink:

1 Like

While individual weapons absolutely in a lot of cases need better balance, there are two things that need bearing in mind:

1. Not every weapon is going to excel in every scenario.
  2. We need to stop doing runs on M4 and complaining about balance. M4 is not balanced. The devs know it isn’t balanced. It’s not what they’re intending Mayhem to be, and it’s why Mayhem 2.0 is on the roadmap.
2 Likes

The Lob excels in no scenario. There is not a single situation in the game where you wouldn’t be better off using a white Torgue or Maliwan Shotgun instead, unless you are just selling it for money.
And the point of the run wasn’t to prove the Lob is bad, but it was a challenge based on the fact that the Lob is pretty much the worst shotgun in the game and it being a challenge run Moxsy of course picked the hardest difficulty. That doesn’t change the fact however that the Lob is a legendary and as such supposed to be good, and that good guns (and even some that are normally regarded to be fairly bad like for instance the Woodblocker) can do the Takedown in 10 minutes or less on M4 whilst the Lob took about 100 minutes.

3 Likes

I agree, I just don’t think it’s the whole “whoever is responsible for balancing, look at this” is particularly helpful.

A lot of Legendary weapons are gimmicky to the point of being useless. The Lob’s an easy example, but there are definitely others. I would want them all useable too, but we need to understand what “useable” means.

2 Likes

I’d argue that in order to be considered useable, a weapon needs to be able to kill enemies at a reasonable rate without any major buffs from the characters that use them and their gear, at least in non-Mayhem TVHM.
Additionally, the Lob is actually difficult to use due to its low rate of fire and extremely slow and short range projectiles and the more difficult it is to use a weapon to its full effect the more powerful that full effect arguably needs to be.
It wasn’t my intention for the title to sound condescending in any way, I just feel like weapons that are being completely disregarded by the community are also more likely to be forgotten by the devs (after all, the Lob has been underperforming ever since launch and despite it getting buffed at one point it is still extremely bad. Had the balancing team really had the Lob in mind, there would have been plenty of opportunities to increase the damage, rate of fire, projectile speed or just overall behavior) and I figured that a video of someone genuinely attempting to use that weapon might help get it some awareness.

2 Likes

Other than a select few outliers (Projectile Recursion, Lump, Host, Protuberance, Carbuncle) Alien-barrel weapons in this game really do under-perform. Why are we spending more ammo for less damage?