Why are the melee and slam so clunky in 3?

In previous games the melee and slam were so much faster to execute and you didn’t feel like you were getting stuck on an enemy or in the ground, and smashing eridium chunks feels so sluggish and painfully slow to do. In the presequel slams were so fluid and much more fun to do, yes the low gravity did help this but you didnt get stuck to the ground for half a second after every slam and to me this makes me never want to use slams in 3. Melee attacks just feel painfully slow due to how you sort of ‘bounce off’ an enemy on an attack so this becomes really annoying especially when getting ammo back on melee attacks. I’m just wishing for the delays after a melee/slam would be greatly reduced to make them so much more fluid

7 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Slam even locks your camera. Even with the groundbreaker guardian perk, melee/slam is a straight up hindrance to dps most of the time. Shield-carrying enemies, Nogs that can be staggered with melee? The recovery animation from it is almost as long as the damn stagger it inflicts. It’s pitiful, especially when I think back to zer0’s and Athena’s gameplay. Don’t even get me started on the utter jankfest that is Amara’s Blitz skill.

PS: slightly related only, but why the hell does it take so long to hoover up ammo drops? The Slayer modifier is meant to emulate Doom’s glory kills - a fast-paced game where the glory kills instantly healed you. Meanwhile here, we have to stand around like chumps for a good second or so before the health drops actually get picked up, because if you don’t, and keep moving, they’ll be left behind.

PPS: action skills can’t be cast while sliding, wish they changed that, as well.

3 Likes

This seems like a small issue that may not be resolved since gbx has a ton of other bigger issues that take precedent over this.

In a sense, yes, but it is also a core gameplay mechanic, especially for Amara players.

4 Likes

Basically, they’re over-animated and you can’t do anything until the animation ends. IIRC TPS slams didn’t have you striking the ground-pound pose?

3 Likes

Yeah TPS had like no slam recovery compared to 3 which is weird since they were easier to execute in TPS so nerfing slams in 3 seems so pointless, they almost feel like something thrown in last minute. Also there NEEDS to be a way to cancel slams in 3, the best part of them on TPS is that you weren’t locked in so you had SO much movement flexibility in combat where in 3 it feels like nothing comparatively

4 Likes

I’ll draw a direct line from BL3’s slam animation to its rotating flipping shelves in the vending machines. It’s one of those things that looks pretty cool when you’re a passive observer. But it rapidly gets old when you’re playing the game.

5 Likes

As someone who plays on a very underpowered system for this game all those animations drive me nuts as it’s only causes more lag and stutter and I would happily do without them to make the game run generally smoother

2 Likes

Oh then you must love the lazor mayhem modifiers :sweat_smile:

And I hardly use slam… It was a good idea but took them an awfully long time to make it work and by that time everyone and their cat ignored it…

Agree on the Eridium melee feeling Hella slow :unamused: half the time it doesn’t even trigger the special melee attack (why does it even need one? It’s just useless and not even needed)

1 Like

I also think TPS had an option to unlock the camera from slams (so you could look where you like while slamming).

Non-bladed melee feels about the same to me though, but I do prefer the bladed animations from BL2. Zer0’s Execute, Athena’s Blood Rush, and Amara’s Blitz all seem about the same as far as a dash mechanic in Borderlands goes (and being able to chain these dashes with kills is still quite fun in their own ways).

1 Like

That plus the numbers on prices, individually turning. Looks cool once or twice, then it’s just annoying.
Like the menu animation, feels like this team put a higher focus on style over substance or efficiency, which most gamers will tell you is wrong. Hell, nintendo has made a fortune with the unofficial motto of fun over graphics.

4 Likes

Yeah, been choosing TPS over BL3 recently and I found this option in the menu, as the slam returning camera to centre was annoying me suddenly. Otherwise, TPS slams are a million times better.

Unfortunately, blitz has entire enemy types it doesn’t work against (the wolven in dlc2, for example, appear to be treated as if they had a larger hitbox than they actually have, causing blitz to stop short), is highly unreliable against moving targets, especially ones moving away (which happens a lot thanks to explosions, shotguns, and singularities), is unreliable against pretty much anything not staying dead center in the screen, is unreliable against enemies in half cover, and sometimes will play the animation but not send you forward. Also, it prioritizes enemies over phaseflare, even if phaseflare is closer, preventing you from hitting it.
And, above all that, it still has an annoyingly long recovery. Chaining it with literally any other action is definitely not as fluid as in previous titles.

1 Like

The fun with Melee Zero was being able to fly in game by spamming his melee attack when the dash override was active because if you didn’t actually hit something with the attack it wasn’t “consumed” and put on cooldown.

Though not as funny as finding out if you’re playing multiplayer and there’s any amount of lag you could throw multiple scorn orbs with Maya at a time… And setting up a macro to spam melee about 1000 times in 1 second basically crashed everyone else’s game client what was in there with me… >.>

Most developers, not gamers, will tell you it’s wrong. Mostly because pointless animations in the end are a waste of valuable playing time. The debate with gamers on it started with GTA V and it’s tanky controls and mostly ends around the time Boomer Shooters took center stage, which is when RDR2 took the realistic, draggy animations to the extreme. This game began development a little after RDR 2 was in its first stages, around late 2015 most likely, when this topic of small details in games became “cool”, because “immersive sim-like” titles such as MGSV took them to logical extremes, but the thing is that none of it related to animations of the player, it all related to details in the world or how you interacted with those details.

TL;DR: Jesus Christ, when did “less is more” become so irrelevant? Gearbox doesn’t even have third person animations for ADS, when the hell did slamning need to be so overworked? And left handers can’t use the slide button, when did we need slide perks from artifacts? It’s an unnecessary handicap that makes for constant claw grip. I still want to keep these mechanics, they’re great. But they’re both underworked and overworked respectively, sliding and slamming.

2 Likes

So many of the animations just feel completely over the top, like its nice having small animations to make it all smoother so things dont just appear and disappear but the ones in 3 are WAAYYY too much

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with a nice animation during the action, as long as it’s interruptable. Look at fighting games: even in the newest ones, you can see characters snapping into completely different poses in a single frame, and nobody really cares. It’s a price we willingly pay for the gameplay.

1 Like

Slam is a completely worthless feature in this game. it worked in TPS mostly because you could jump around, thanks to the no-gravity environment. Maybe if our characters had a jetpack that allowed you to fly around for a few secs, similar to Elex, then I could see myself using it.

My disappoint with Melee combat in BL3 goes far beyond execution/animation. Why we still don’t have melee weapons as a weapon category?

It would be really cool to be able to equip different melee weapons to your character, like a laser sword on Zane, for example.

2 Likes

Good to know!

1 Like

Thank you glad im not the only one that feels this way, cant get the same enjoyment out melee amara as I do melee zero because of this.