Why are they wearing clothes?

Aaaw :3

3 Likes

Maybe he just needs lots of pockets? Where else is he going to keep the treats for his pets.

5 Likes

There are a lot of good answers, but imma keep it short and sweet. Fl4k is an incognito assassin. If you saw a giant robot with guns on it’s back, youd be alarmed. See another big looking dude in raggedy clothing? Probably just another bandit, nothing out of the ordinary.

2 Likes

Pockets as said above. Also, since they are made of metal, they can rust, so keeping water off may be another reason.

1 Like

I like the pockets idea, I lose stuff all the time and need a lot of pockets as a result…Maybe he just thought they looked cool, all the other vault hunters are wearing outer garments of some sort…

1 Like

Pockets are the greatest gift known to man, and women are worse off for designers who refuse to give them the luxury of pockets :rofl:.

3 Likes

The answer to the question posed by this topic is simple: Because they don’t want to find six sets of car keys, $50k in cash, four guns, seven bags of Skag treats, a can of tuna and two cinderblocks and not have space to stash it all.

3 Likes

Because I/you/he/she/it/we/they likes to be in style and that jacket looks pretty badass on me/you/him/her/it/us/them.

I think the look he wears is similar to a Hobo and therefore kind of mystifies this odd vault hunter.

1 Like

I find Borderlands fans making fun of mental health issues to be very offensive. Is there a place to file a grievance and start a boycott ? I’m going to start by boycotting Borderlands 5. Borderlands 3 looks too good… so i can’t do a boycott for 3.

He could be trying to mask his identity similar to how the loader in Tales was trying to avoid being recognized.

1 Like

You just want to see a naked robot, pervert… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Those damn robosexuals

1 Like

Probably because he wants to look damn cool. A metal suit just isn’t that good looking compared to most clothes.

I think he looks like crap, the damn robot has no fashion sense, he should just quit it

I am personally more worried over the fact that Gearbox mix the pronoun “They” which is in plural with “is”, “this” and “side” which are all in singular form (all on the topic “Ways to play Fl4k the beastmaster” which also should be “Fl4k the beastmasters”…). So is this robot a plural or a singular object???
If Fl4k is indeed a “They/them/their” then it must be “are/these/sides”!

As has been pointed out many times in several threads, ‘they’ can also be used as a singular pronoun - and has been used that way in the English language in the past. The alternative would be to use ‘it’, which doesn’t seem appropriate for an AI with an emergent identity. If you need to know more, there’s some background information on the FL4K cosplay guide, and this Twitter thread from the BL3 lead writer:

If you have concerns, there’s a thread already for that in the main BL3 discussion section.

1 Like

No problems really, it just stung my grammar nazi eyes at first. :wink: I’ll try my best to adjust, seeing that they seem to be the most popular choice of players.

2 Likes

I do a lot of technical writing, describing things people do. Early on, it was common practice to use ‘he/him’ because the field I was writing about was pretty much all male. Then there was the period where some folks started pushing ‘he/she, him/her’ which - just in terms of readability - is clumsy. ‘They/them’ turns out to be a useful - and much more readable - alternative; you get used to it pretty quickly.

3 Likes

I can get that. Just from a logical stance, without knowing more than Fl4k being a robot, I would have gone for “it”. Giving an inanimate object a biological pronoun would have sounded equally wrong (after all, I do not call my toaster “he” or “she” either). But I digress. Thank you for the thorough answer! :+1:

2 Likes