Why cant i get a product key like when i buy a physical DVD or Blu Ray version?

Hi. I bought in the first week the Online Version of Borderlands 3 directly from epic Games. I didnt get any Product Key. downloaded Online and installed. Everything works. For Future Installations for example when i need to set up windows entirely new. i want my Product Key so i can install even when i dont have internet connection. why cant i get a product key like when i buy a physical DVD or Blu Ray version Box? Sorry if my Englisch is not perfect.

You’d need to ask the Epic Game Store that question, since it’s their system. My guess is the purchase is tied to your Epic ID so you shouldn’t need a code as long as you have the EGS client installed.

Note that it’s the same situation with XB1 and PS4 digital purchases - it’s recorded in your store purchase history and no code is issued.

About the only time I know of when you’ll get physical codes is if you buy through a third-party retailer.

And how you think it would work? You need something with data, so disc for physical version or internet connection to download the data for digital. I’m not a PC player, but I know that even physical version (most or even all of them) of games are without the disc, so only codes for download are included.
And even if you have a code, it’s one time use, because after that it’s linked to your account and the code is no longer active.

If i now buy a an additional physical DVD Box from a PC Store, will i get a product key in the Box which is not restricted to Epic Games? and Thanx for thr Reply.

Not right now, no. Epic has exclusive PC sales until about the middle of March.

if i found a dvd box in the pc store nearby on which is written “DVD Rom” doesnt that mean that i will get the product key in the box as well as a DVD Rom to install without Internet connection?

As I said, I’m not a PC player, but is there physical version of BL3 for PC? I don’t think there is.
If you manage to find a physical version for PC it should be stated on the box if internet connection is required to install the game.

thanx for the reply :slight_smile:

i found a dvd box in the pc store nearby me, on which is written “DVD Rom”. doesnt that mean that i will get the product key in the box as well as a DVD Rom to install without Internet connection?

I don’t know - I haven’t bought a physical disk for several years. One thing though - the game is way bigger than a 4 GB DVD. So if the box *only * contains an actual physical DVD it probably just contains the download key/DRM licence and will trigger a digital download. You’d need Blue Ray to store an actual copy of the game on physical optical disk (maybe more than one?)

i thought so too, DVD Rom is max 9 GB. any way thanx for the Reply and sorry if may Englisch is not perfect. :slight_smile:

This this only the 2nd game I’ve ever played that’s tied to the Epic launcher, so I’m not entirely sure how it works here. But I would assume the basics are very similar to Steam.

Which means that you don’t get a “CD key” like in the old days; you get a product key which allows you to activate the game on your Steam/Epic account. For which you obviously need to have Steam / Epic launcher installed and have a working internet connection. Running Steam / Epic launcher is a requirement for starting the game. However, both launchers support offline play after you’ve installed the game.