Why did Rath get the short stick on Creative Design?

If you @ckgz800873 want a rework of Rath, look at Mellka. She was and is promissed a rework, and then This happens. -56% damage of venom, from 18/tick to 6/tick.
Never ask for a rework. While I wish he was more of a parry-ing swordsman, I feel hes fine where he is.

Roughly 100 years of imprisonment/sustainment. [quote=“ckgz800873, post:36, topic:1555076”]
He’s also biologically SUPER tiny.
[/quote]

That’s not 100% certain yet, his lore hints at it but never confirms it. Jythri keeps things very “hush, hush” about Caldy right now. I think he’ll get some attention soon because Jythri was acting like any answers he could give would be spoilers when asked about it.

As far as Rath not showing his status as a Blademaster in actual game play, we really can’t say anything about it. It’s like you said, the only one who can answer is a dev. I wouldn’t give up hope about them not noticing this thread yet though. It might take a day or two because I can only imagine how many times they get tagged on these forums everyday. They can’t read every post immediately so you need to be patient. (It took me forever to get an answer from Jythri on a lore inconistancy with the statues of Rath and Caldarius on the Prologue and Heliophage)

The best way to get a devs attention on a thread is to keep it alive. Since we can only speculate the question of “Why?” ourselves why don’t we try the question of “How?” How could they have made Rath more of a swordsman in terms of actual game play.

A while ago Jythri made a comment

This gave me an idea. For those of you who didn’t play Evolve, Turtle Rock started to add variations of their original characters and making them options in addition to the original versions. You could play the powerful single target healer Val or the combat/team healer hybrid Rouge Val for example. What if we could do the same thing to Battleborn characters? So naturally I started thinking of ways to remake Rath with Jythri’s comment in mind.

What I came up with would be much more true to the swordsman in Rath.

Replace Crossblade with (I haven’t thought of a name yet). Rath uses Precept and slashes in front of him for a high damage (200 base), short range (slightly longer than his basic melee combo) attack.

Keep Catalytic Smash, (It’s just too damn good to not have) but some helix reworks for this variation of Rath.

Replace Dreadwind with Precept’s Promise. For ten seconds Rath uses Precept as his primary weapon instead of Axiom and Praxis.

I’ve got more on this (a few helix suggestions mainly) but I’ll add those later.

So Solo, if you could’ve made Rath more true to the blacksmith he is, how would you have gone about it?

1 Like

WHO DARES SUMMON THE ALL-POW–oh, hey, it’s you, what’s up?
skims preceding conversation
Sustainment is typically reserved for native Jennerit because typically only native Jennerit rise to the elite status requisite for the costly process to be used on them.
Calcareous (edit: damn autocorrect…) is an exception because he demonstrated extraordinary prowess in the fighting pits and in the Shock Troops. The process worked fine, he’s not like, “half-sustained” or anything, he just was imprisoned for like a century as punishment for being such an outspoken hero of the people kinda guy.

2 Likes

I feel that for your ideas to work @blainebrossart1 Rath would need more of the Parry and slash attacks while dual wielding his Axiom and Praxis, as a first and secondary, and while using his ultimate, precept is a heavy slashing short range weapon.

As for a blacksmith, have some way of heating the blades, but overtime it corrodes them? I don’t know what to do for bladesmith skills, accept a damage increase which slowly drops off and needs to mend the blades after a while, like a heat bar, and if it is to cold the blades ‘snap’, and you have to repair them? I feel that playstlye is counter intuitive to the game, and thus, I like the ideas I mentioned above, but feel he currently is fine.

I do as well. That’s why I would only ever consider a rework for him if it was done in the manner I suggested.[quote=“blainebrossart1, post:42, topic:1555076”]
. For those of you who didn’t play Evolve, Turtle Rock started to add variations of their original characters and making them options in addition to the original versions. You could play the powerful single target healer Val or the combat/team healer hybrid Rouge Val for example. What if we could do the same thing to Battleborn characters? So naturally I started thinking of ways to remake Rath with Jythri’s comment in mind.
[/quote]

Maybe have some helix changes? Like how ground zero changes burst dash. Do that for rath?

I’m not asking for a rework! lol.

I feel I’m going to have to make a copy/paste disclaimer for every new post on this topic.

I’m more curious on the design decisions they made, and the imo loss of potential it garnered.

I would write another novel, but you’re more than welcome to read through the thread. I’m certain I’ve already answered any other things you’ll be bringing up.

I SUMMONED YOU OH MIGHTY GENI-- oh, hey it’s you, thanks for coming.
While you’re here places a firm grip on your shoulder motioning toward a nearby chair with horderves

@lolattheseforums Went off topic regarding his displeasure with Caldarius’ (Auto correct can suck it) life steal. I offered some theories, but perhaps you could better enlighten us?

Or!

Better yet, talk about Rath!? :sunglasses:

Well, this line begs to differ.

Anyway, felt I had to give those asking for reworks a fair warning, as the GREAT AND POWERFULL REWORK GODS often mess up with introductions and need a few weeks to balance

I’d want to consult with Randimus Prime, but I would say that race doesn’t play into it, and that most likely the two factors somewhat complicating Caldarius’ life steal abilities are a) the degree of separation, since he’s behind a suit of armor, and b) yes, he’s extraordinarily new to combat-application of Sustainment–I’m terrified of getting this wrong, since I’m currently in line at an autograph signing at PAX South and don’t have all my notes, but Cali-D was specifically granted Sustainment to prolong his durance vile to suitably ironic lengths; until then, he was just that good at not dying in combat as a gladiator and later shock trooper.
He’s a crazy, crazy dude who’s been out of practice (at everything) for like a hundred years. If Caldarius was Sustained AND in his prime? He’d be like Ali with a double dose of Patient Zero, I don’t think you could touch the guy. As it is, his armor’s been through a lot, he burned through a lot of the battery taking out that capital ship, and he’s still recovering from his jail sentence and torture.

2 Likes

Link from the legend of Zelda mastered the art of spinning in circles long before rath did.

1 Like

5 Likes

How do you do this? I’ve wondered for months

It’s never been confirmed, but it’s generally accepted by most and has never been denied by a dev. Not enough to use in an argument necessarily though

This

@dante_d_silva
That all makes sense. Btw, have you ever slipped up and wrote something off-canon, and how funny was it?

Elaborate pls?

Cross out text.

1 Like

Oh I used a cross out text engine.

1 Like

HTML tags. < strike > text here < /strike >

Remove the spaces between the < >

All those times he said Mellka wouldn’t date me were as off-canon af.

2 Likes

Rule 1 of Jazz, and writing: once is a mistake, three times is style :wink:
If there ever were mistakes, I’ll take their original intent to my grave.

3 Likes