Why does borderlands 3 not have lag compensation?

List of games that have lag compensation:- csgo, all cod’s, all battlefields, overwatch, pubg, paladins, war thunder, tf2, rainbow 6, warframe,l4d 1 and 2, all gears of war after the first one, basically every fps you can think of. Even BATTLEBORN HAS LAG COMPENSATION AND ITS MOSTLY PVP WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

List of games that don’t have lag compensation:- world of tanks, borderlands, tribes ascend, most mobas.

Explain yourself gearbox, what leads you to poor design choices such as this. I did not live so long to witness such madness and as such this madness must end.

HIGH PING LIVES MATTER.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what does your latency average?

I have very poor bandwidth and don’t seem to notice a major issue even in online multiplayer. Depending on hosts connection worst case is a constant stutter.

Blockquote
Out of curiosity, what does your latency average?
I have very poor bandwidth and don’t seem to notice a major issue even in online multiplayer. Depending on hosts connection worst case is a constant stutter.

I havent figured out how to check ping but you know when its high because there is a delay when you fire your weapon. Most modern fpses counteract this by lag compensation making gameplay with people smoother even in low or high ping games. Its a must for all modern fps games.

Ye lag comp would make co op so much better across the ocean for eu na and also for african players sa players etc. I think around 70 ms game is already irritating due to latency

My ping runs 75-150 ms on North American servers, 200-300 in long distance games.

That 10 mbps DSL connection tho.

The difference is most of the games you mention are PvP or have a major PvP mode.

Upshot: in all those games, the connection is player<->server<->player.

In Borderlands, once the session starts it’s player<->player. And that’s why it is what it is.

This. In fact OP has already hinted his answer to his question.

Blockquote
The difference is most of the games you mention are PvP or have a major PvP mode.
Upshot: in all those games, the connection is player<->server<->player.
In Borderlands, once the session starts it’s player<->player. And that’s why it is what it is.

Name me one PvE shooter that doesnt have lag compensation aside from borderlands?

The question is, are they players-to-server or players-to-players in terms of actual connection during a session? When the ‘server’ is basically one of the co-op players you’re always going to be at the mercy of individual player connection speeds.

2 Likes

Warframe is P2P, cod PvE /PvP is P2p, Gunfire reborn is P2P, Battleborn PvE is p2p, Vermintide is P2P, Halo co op and GOW co op also uses P2P ,payday 2 is P2P, Killing f loor and so does L4d2 has options for P2p and dedicated.

Your point is also moot because lag compensation provides even better performance if you are playing on P2P. PvE shooters are a dead genre so its hard to find more examples. Even if 100 percent of shooters pvp\pve uses lag compensation and 70 percent of shooters use P2P, it would still make more sense to use lag compensation as it adds alot to gameplay and it is statistically proven to draw in a larger playerbase and just be an overall better game.

To put things into perspective, have you ever played a P2P game without lag compensation? Or even one that isnt P2P, it would feel just as bad. The answer is no unless you go back about 20 years ago, and there is a reason why they dont do that anymore. The only game that does that is Borderlands. Guess which game people complain about unplayable lag all the time.