Why is TPS still better than B3?

Just reading this post on reddit, and the discussion mentions a lot of things I (and many others) have brought up over and over: https://www.reddit.com/r/Borderlands/comments/ewyyqt/one_thing_that_presequel_did_better_than_3/
Basically, even with six characters, each one felt like part of the world you were playing in. The other characters actually adapted their dialogue. Even background dialogue (don’t get me started on how awful this is in B3, like when you’ve just gone through some massive story event and an NPC says something ridiculously inappropriate given what’s happened).
Hell, we don’t even get named, in B3. It’s Vault Hunter or Killer, or whatever. Is it that hard to have a few characters record FOUR whole versions of a line? Given that gearbox have said no DLC characters, we know there’s only four versions to do.
And when you include characters like Fl4k and Amara, that lack of specified dialogue really shows through. Nobody mentions they are a robot or a siren at moments that would be really relevant to that, like Claptrap and the magnet, or Tyreen using her powers.
Just really seems like this is something that could have been included.

10 Likes

The enemies oddly have a fair amount of character specific dialogue. And there’s inter-character callouts which unfortunately uses their names.

4 Likes

The CoV and Maliwan in Borderlands 3 have character-specific callouts. I agree that it would have been nice to see character-specific response dialogue in the missions (story and side).

4 Likes

Yeah, thanks to both of you for pointing out that enemies have some character specific dialogue. That’s really good and enjoyed hearing shout outs that applied to my characters. Just makes it even more jarring that NPCs and quest dialogue misses you out.

I’m more bothered by the randomness of which character replies when you’re playing with others, honestly. The generalized story/quest dialogue is just something I take for granted.

3 Likes

The Pre-Sequel is honestly an underrated and over-hated on amazingly great game.

It did lack a lot of endgame but that was only due to the Australian team literally “going under”, pun intended, I guess.

Other that one flaw this game was a masterpiece not only potentially my favorite in the series but also one of my favorite games ever.

The amount of detail that lead to immersion into Elpis was bar none and Borderlands The Pre-Sequel should be the part excellence for which all other Borderlands entries should strive(even though they didn’t).

BL3 is a decent enough game but it could have been truly epic had it continued on with that level of detail to quality of life and immersion.

13 Likes

Wholeheartedly agree. My “favorite” is when Zane directly asks a question from Moxxi (“Don’t you remember me?”) and she trots out the same stock line. Oh, and Zane bringing up his past with Clay, and Clay just ignoring him.

TPS characters also showed up in cutscenes, which BL3 botches as well. There is one attempt to have some immersion, when Troy phaselocks us, but it mostly just highlights the inconsistency.

8 Likes

I didn’t find Elpis particularly immersive. And the oxygen mechanic can ironically die in a fire. But I liked the dialogue and characters. I’m glad it was part of THC, as the hate for it around its release put it off my radar and it was ultimately well worth playing.

2 Likes

What was so wrong with oxygen mechanic?

4 Likes

The dialogue and character details is exactly what I’m referring to with immersion. I just referenced “Elpis” as that happened to be the location of Pre-Sequel.

The fact they carry on conversations while riding around the moon-rovers and such is spectacular in itself.

Elpis as a location was pretty well done as well in my opinion and it fit into the Borderlands Universe quit well but that’s besides my point.

1 Like

It was awful. It made little sense as implemented. It punished exploration. Take away the half-assed survival aspect and it would be fine. The bar for boosting could automatically recharge, and there’d be no more worthless Oxygen canisters in containers located in places that always have atmosphere.

If I hadn’t already been inclined to play Claptrap right off the bat, his ability to ignore the oxygen nonsense would’ve been a major point in his favour.

1 Like

Actually, character-specific dialogue was one of the things I took for granted before the release of BL3. Obviously I was heavily disappointed after finally playing it.

I really thought they would continue implementing such voice lines like they did in the Headhunter packs and, of course, in TPS.

Slightly off-topic, I regard TPS as a big expansion pack to BL2, with new areas, characters, weapons, and mechanics. With that in mind, TPS is a great game for me, which adds even more content and diversity to an already awesome gaming experience (i.e. BL2 or the Handsome Collection respectively).

1 Like

TPS was a great game IMO, and I enjoyed the characters more than BL2. Mainly because of their skill trees and builds. The story was actually pretty good; seeing Jack as a hero, then decline in sanity as he get’s screwed over by everyone. The DLC’s weren’t bad either. Claptastic Voyage was one of the greatest DLC’s of the BL series tbh, with the most memorable raid boss. IMO, anyways. If it had the headhunters, and more DLC’s, it would’ve been easily better than BL2 in popularity.

Now, I enjoy BL3 gameplay, however I think the storyline could’ve been better. I was really expecting a “Tyreen gets screwed over by Troy, Troy leeches her in madness, and Troy is the big boss, then Tyreen sacrifices herself to close the vault from guilt, and locks her power inside the Great Vault” type of ending. Also, the last world (spoilers) should’ve came before the raid on the COV stronghold. All my opinion, anyways.

3 Likes

In Lilith’s room, looking at the stuff she left behind, Tannis goes “Is this what you like to do? Loiter?”

1 Like

and the ammo and weapon flying around and in the lava, i hated that game, never finish it.

Thank you for that comment. I wholeheartedly agree to the fullest with this!

3 Likes

To be fair, it’s absolutely appropriate for Tannis to say inappropriate things.

3 Likes

I feel you on this, but only to an extent. TPS story was really well done. Jack was this monster from BL2 that you get to see fleshed out in TPS to the point where you’re rooting for him as the hero.

But then the ending happened and I just thought the “good guys” from BL2 - Moxxi, Roland, and Lilith - kinda just screwed jack over for pretty terrible reasons. Made me play through BL2 and be like “yup, you deserved that” after.

6 Likes

I still love to fire up TPS and romp through Triton Flats. I’m reminded how different the mechanics feel. They were stiffer and more predictable on TPS. On BL3 I tinker with controller sensitivity, but still find I’m all over the place.

TPS is more polished.

I liked the Aussie influence.

The problem I have with TPS is level design. Some levels were fun and interesting. Others were annoying silly. Who builds a moon station like that? And don’t get me started on Veins of Helios. The jumping mechanic was overused often.

I’m level 55? or 56. I’m on UMHM My next challenge is Pity’s Fall. I just don’t want to endure jumpy jumpy time. Personal preference perhaps.

The story? Don’t care. As long as it gives me a reason to go shoot stuff.

Characters? Playing Athena. Have Nisha around level 17. Claptrap looks fun.

I don’t feel any different in BL3. Characters are fun, story gives me a reason to shoot things. I don’t mind the generic names. Vault Hunter is fine. We are talking a huge game, millions of lines of code. Something has to be cut. They decided to cut some dialogue. I’m fine with it.

3 Likes

How so? If you were in vacuum, there were oxygen geysers marked on your minimap literally everywhere, and plenty of poop piles that popped out canisters. IMO the biggest hazard when exploring (other than flying off the map) was running in to one of those shock Shuggaraths.

6 Likes