Why not show DLC missions on search?

The title says it all. Why not to show them when one searches for random games? If folks could see the DLC and the mission you’re playing, then maybe DLCs wouldn’t be so lonely.

If I recall correctly BL1’s browser had current location and mission, I’m not sure why the devs dropped it for BL2 or didn’t bother including filters, like most online games, to avoid public matchmaking becoming impossible for people without dlc’s.

Actually BL1 only shows the DLC you’re playing, not the current mission. But why would matchmaking become harder for people without DLCs? It’s not like they can join a DLC playing host anyway.

I guess it’s so long since I’ve played bl1 that I’m imagining things but I think the lobby information had the host’s current story mission progress so at endgame you would see all games with the same last mission text.

About machmaking, my experiences in the past of vanilla bl2 revolved around picking games pseudo-randomly and after 10~15 seconds of load getting back to the main menu with a message about the host currently playing a content I didn’t had. By the time the second dlc came I gave up on bl2 due to the impossibility of joining any public game, wasn’t for Krieg I probably wouldn’t have passed 200 hours of the game.

The main campaign’s story missions do show up in BL1. It’s just that they don’t show up with DLCs.

But again, what negative consenquences would there be if DLC missions would show up in matchmaking? It would just be easier to see which hosts you can’t join. And why not filter them out in the first place?

I’m not saying it shouldn’t, I agree with you in that there should be filters or any kind of flags to warn about dlc content. My earlier point was that current bl2’s way, joining public games for people without dlc’s is a matter of trial and error until you manage to join a game where the host isn’t at a dlc map.

Current design for matchmaking is one that I’ve never seen before, all other games I’ve played either explicitly allow filtering (common to server-browsing gui’s) or implicitely (p2p with simpler matchmaking) filter unavaliable content for you to avoid making 10~20 seconds waiting only to find out matchmaking failed due to content discrepancy.