Why the Playstation Plus?

So I have yet to see anything about the problem I’m having with Borderlands 2 on the ps4. I was trying to change my game network settings to anything other than Lan so that I could join other players and get a bit more fun out of the game, but I kept getting told that I have to have a Playstation Plus account so that I could do that. What’s with the greed? I can do it for free with the ps3 but now that I can finally play on the ps4 I have to pay to join others and have fun? I have no income what so ever so I can’t even afford a Plus account. I was barely able to afford getting the ps4 version because my girlfriend has a ps4 and I had to trade in my ps3 Borderlands 2 plus 3 others games so that I could get the ps4 version.

2 Likes

It’s Sony not gearbox. If you want to play with people online you have to have ps+. Just went through the same crap with MHW. The new event is a 16 man thing. Can’t be soloed…ugh. Had to get ps+.

1 Like

Same on XBox ecosystem as well, because Microsoft. Just a fact of life with playing on console for any on-line multiplayer game. It’s the price we pay for not having to deal with system and driver updates breaking our games every so often.

2 Likes

If that were 100% true then they should have been charging us a Plus/Gold Sub for the old systems so that it wouldn’t be as disappointing to those of us who got used to free multiplayer and enjoyed it but can’t now afford to sub.

1 Like

you say “got used to” but the ps4 is the first to require it from sony, and the same from nintendo on the switch. Micro$oft has always been greedy hosts there own servers, whereas sony rents racks from a company called Demonware for downloads, updates, etc. but multiplayer is hosted by the game devs. Call it what you want. greed, a tax for game prices not changing in 20 years despite inflation, idc. it is what it is. Pure profit for them.

1 Like

I said “got used to” as in they should have found the method and implemented it with the PS3 like how if you buy the sub and download a game from the sub you can’t play it if your sub runs out. I agree it’s all profit for them and in the long run it would be worth it to buy a sub, but as I have said…or at least I think I did I’m replying on my cell through Google, I currently have no income to do so and it’s not fair to limit game play like that with such a petty method.

1 Like

Ok, from the other perspective: (Playstation view only, as i’m not a MS person)

PS4 only costs £249. Not bad for a pretty decent console. Each month you can get free games, some have been pretty damn good ones at that, costing £40+ on release.

The cost of the sub is only similar to Netflix or Amazon Prime. £49 for a year. I personally have the cheapest SIM i can to help me afford the PSN fee.

Sony stated prior to the PS4 release that the cost of running the network was too high to keep offering it for free.

The PSN network and the Playstation have actually taken Sony from financial hell to a much better positive situation, and therefore we should be thankful for that. The studios that Sony own are producing some particularly awesome games.

I understand some people have little money, I don’t have a job myself. But the cost of a global network has to be funded or the costs would just be slapped on somewhere else. The console itself would have to be pushed up, so the players who don’t do the online stuff would then be out of luck.

Lots of other things to add into the equation, like video editing, internet access, the use of apps on the console for those who don’t have SMART tv’s. Our own luxories in life should be considered too. Wine, beer, smoking, mobile costs, everything.

So I will stick up for Sony, I hope they keep up the good work.

2 Likes

You had to pay for Gold on 360 as well, even though PS+ was free on PS3. Unfortunately, it is what it is: if you don’t want to pay a subscription for playing on-line with friends, Steam on PC/Mac/Linux is pretty much it.

1 Like

I just bought it because it doesn’t hurt me to drop $60. But most people get it on black Friday when it’s like, half price.

1 Like

I’m not condemning Sony because of it. I think it’s a good idea too since most people can afford a plus subscription. I’m just upset cause I can’t even play with friends. I used to spend the time helping them farm items but now I can’t even do that. A new question comes to mind though, say my dad has a plus subscription and I add his account to my girlfriend’s PS4. Would I be able to piggy back off my dad’s plus sub?

1 Like

Last time I checked PS+ terms, they didn’t have a family option like XBL Gold. It’s one profie, one account only (unless they’ve since changed their mind.)

1 Like

He can indeed be a secondary to his dad’s primary machine. it’s kinda complicated on how you can use games and such, but he DEFINITELY gets online privileges.

1 Like

So can I sign my dad’s account onto my girlfriend’s PS4 and still use his benefits? I’ll get permission first of course and I intend to get a plus as soon as I get an income, but can his account be on her PS4 for me to use his plus?

1 Like

i gave you all the info i had.

1 Like

I miss the way it was on PS3 when the online was free. But I still pay anyways just because not being able to play online is a load of crap. It’s frustrating as hell though especially when it wasn’t like this on the PS3

1 Like

In my opinion you nailed it, especially the luxuries part! :grinning:

1 Like

Ps4 pro is $400. Might as well take advantage of my 4k tv.

2 Likes

I got my PS4 because I knew PS3 online was free… they left that detail out that I would need to pay for online multiplayer features but as far as main accounts and sub accounts using it… sub accounts can use the main accounts plus features but it is controlled by the age of the sub account holder… once the age reaches adult then the sub account no longer qualifies to use the main accounts plus features… so if you ever want to have children or have children and you create a sub accounts for them in advan** :upside_down_face: start the age out at 5 or 6 then you will have many years of the sub accounts access to the main accounts plus… a tip… Sony has made it so that once you make a sub account and declare the age they will never let you go back to check the age the account was set at… so you should not check the current age of your children by asking Sony peace! :v:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. :+1: