Why the stuttering is back and worse than ever?

I used to have stuttering during gameplay when I first install it last March or so. After a while, stuttering started to diminish and eventually disappeared, which was great. A couple weeks ago the stuttering returned worse than ever, to the point that is no longer fun to play and my game card is getting very hot. How is it possible that after optimizing the game and solve the stuttering, now this is happening? Is Gearbox going to focus in solving these problems instead of keep developing bad DLCs? This began happening after I installed the Season Pass for the Arms Race… what a mistake and a waste of money.
Any ideas on how to reduce the stutter and micro freezes?
Cheers and Merry Christmas.

2 Likes

I wish I could help you. I don’t know how to follow a topic, so I am posting here in hopes that it’ll save it and I can come back later to see if anyone has found ways to help us. I have tried so many things.

1 Like

I would suggest first off checking that all your settings are the same and didn’t get changed as a result of any changes to default settings. There’s been quite a lot of discussion on what causes - and what can mitigate - stuttering, so it would be worth going through some of those. Amongst the things to check would be the EchoCast extension (on/off), social notifications frequency, and texture streaming options. If you have had a graphics driver update in the last little while, it may also be worth nuking the cached local app data (shaders etc) so they get regenerated on the next launch.

3 Likes

My game runs really good now compared to the early days up to the last patch but when I get stuttering it could be something like a web browser using too much cpu. Shutting down the dirty tabs helps or sometimes Windows gets stupid a and reboot fixes the stutters.

1 Like

Something that’s helped me sometimes (when not running any tweaks) was watching my character “get up” at the main menu after the game loads and signs in to SHIFT. If the VH looks stutter-y while getting up and striking a pose, I restart the game and it’s fine after that. I’ve noticed that if it’s hitchy there, then the rest of the game is hitchy too. For me it only seems like it gets hitchy like that very seldom and it actually hasn’t happened recently that I can remember.

4 Likes

I always get it when doing melee to a purple crystal boss.

1 Like

By chance are you running DX12? It could be something completely different in your case, but I would always get stuttering while shattering an anointed enemy’s husk, under DX12. No such issue with DX11.

While there have supposedly been improvements to DX12 in BL3 and it’s supposed to be better overall, I still get better performance with DX11. (I have an Nvidia RTX 2060 card for what it’s worth.)

2 Likes

It is stuttering in dx11 when shattering purple enemies. I am clueless as to what this game’s deal is.

2 Likes

There are a lot of lighting and shading effects on pretty much everything. I imagine the particles formed by shattering an enemy are pushing the limits of the graphics pipeline, especially when coupled with the elemental effect as well. Are there any settings that might relate to particle systems? (I’m not on PC, so not something I can easily check).

2 Likes

I don’t know if this means anything, but some people have quotation marks in their Gameuserssettings.ini and some people don’t.

When I see a topic with someone who fixed their problems and they post Gameuserssettings.ini it has no quotation marks.

I am grasping at air now.

2 Likes

Depending on where the quotation marks are, they could either be an artefact of copy/paste OR they could effectively be commenting out that particular setting as far as the code that parses the file is concerned. If it’s the latter, the quote would likely be at the very beginning of the line. Can you link to an example?

1 Like

It is the CPU name at bottom.
Some people have it in quotes and some do not.
Mine not only has quotes but a lot of empty spaces before the last quotation mark.

So far nobody has quotes for the GPU name.

1 Like

Sorry, not sure about that. I don’t think it would make a great difference? It may be a result of the way the software fetches the CPU info when creating the config file at start up. I think if you were to delete out the entry and restart the game it should recreate the entry. If you do that, make a backup copy of the file first.

1 Like

Yes, every time I take the empty spaces and quotes out the game puts them back into the ini file. I wonder how come it does that for some CPU names and not others. I see intel CPU has no “” and AMD CPU has “” put in.

1 Like

It’s probably just the way the chip manufacturers format the data that is being fetched by the system. I don’t think it should affect your game’s performance one way of the other? I suspect it’s there more as a quick way of obtaining trouble-shooting information.

1 Like

Thank you. I feel bad for taking things so far off topic.

Right now I am putting everything to Very Low and just keep tinkering with each setting one by one to see what makes more stutter or less stutter.

1 Like

@Redfeather75, something that have seen mentioned in threads about the PC stutter is to make sure to have at least 10GB free in your SSD. Not entirely sure what requires this much empty storage but I have seen it brought up.

1 Like